is your skin super sensitive to insect bites?

Philippines
September 30, 2008 10:35am CST
hello:) i guess, i'm one of those unlucky people on earth to be born with skin so sensitive to insect bites. i don't know if this can be classified as allergy or allergic reaction. an ant bite for example in one of my fingers could turn the my entire hand red and swollen in a day. that, despite applying anti-bacterial cream or ointments to the bitten area. can you imagine what would happen if i get bitten in the finger and at the forearm at the same time. it's really an ordeal. i don't know why but it seems my skin has some kinda magnet for insects. there are times when we went to a place where there are lots mosquitoes, only me got so many bites while my friends went scot free. to aggravate the problem, insect bites usually leaves dark scars and sometimes keloids. does anyone has any idea how i can manage this sensitivity to insect bites?
1 person likes this
5 responses
• United States
10 Oct 08
Yes it can be an allergy, I am allergic to almost all of the insect family, a flea bite, spider bite or Bee sting usually means a trip to the ER, I have to carry an Epi-pen and Benydril from spring to late fall and when we go camping I generally wear gloves to protect my hands. An allergist can test whether it's an allergy or just sensitive skin, get tested and take precautions please.
• Philippines
16 Oct 08
thanks for the advise. i think i really have to find time to go to an allergist to find if my skin problem is an allergy or not.
@mtata23 (354)
• India
30 Nov 08
yeah, my skin is very sensitive to insect bites. I get red swellings after mosquito bites and bed bug bites. An anti-allergic antiseptic cream is always with me.
• United States
23 Oct 08
I normally swell up after being bitten by a mosquito. The bite will swell to about ten times the size it should. It looks more like a burn with fluid than a bite. If I don't scratch it, it will go away leaving no mark.
@madasp (563)
• United States
30 Sep 08
My daughter is actually allergic to mosquito bites and breaks out in hives whenever she gets bit. Which is really a bad thing because we have always lived in Minnesota/Wisconsin where the mosquitos are terrible. I usually keep benedryl on hand in case she gets bit and she has to use a ton of insect repellant whenever she's going to be outside after dusk.
@cream97 (29164)
• United States
30 Sep 08
I know they love to bite me and my kids up during the summertime.. My eldest daughter legs are all bitten up from mosquito bites.. So, I know these rodents can be very much of a nusiance . I am sorry that you have to be the victim of these irritating pests..