Old Western Stories

@SomeCowgirl (32255)
It has been a while since I have started a discussion, so I thought that I might start one about old west stories and to see if anyone had a good idea for a few books my fiance and I might like to read. Between the two of us, we've started quite a few on the book series we're reading now. It's a great series, with four books. The Emigrants, Unto A Good Land, The Settlers and The Last Letter Home. We had The Settlers but sent it back because of the cover of the book not matching with the "Unto a Good Land" book cover. In any case, Can you suggest a good Old Western Novel? My fiance and I are into that genre more, and while we've found stories online, I've Written My Own, and We're reading The Emigrant Series, we'd still like some more to choose from. Have you ever returned a book because the cover didn't match the image on the website you purchased it from?
@hellcowboy (7380)
I know baby we are reading a very interesting book in a series of four books called Upon A Good Land by Vilhelm Moberg and we have read the Emigrants before we started this one,we did order The Settlers online but we sent it back because it did not match the the set that we have an Upon A Good Land in,and it would be awesome if we could get some good ideas of old western books to read,even though I am quite content with the Emigrant series but it is always a good idea to find books to read when we get done with this series,and I can say that I have never returned anything that I bought online because it did not match the picture.
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
I think that it would be a good hobby to pick up, a stress reliever of sorts and that it would definitely help with inspiration on discussions to start on here, or even to respond to as it might get us to thinking more. I am glad that you've never had to return anything because of the picture depicted. I loveth you!
Yeah it would definitely be a good hobby to pick up when it comes to relieving stress and it would definitely help with starting new discussions because books can be very inspirational,and I am also glad I have never had to return anything because it did not match the picture,I love you with all heart and soul,have a great day,good luck with all your mylotting goals,and Happy Posting Baby.
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
I love you very much, I know that we still need to get that book! We will when we think about it and have the money though, I know!
@nowment (1758)
I would recommend go for a classic, Louis L'Amor he is more than a writer, he is a story teller. Especially the books about the Sacketts Also Donald Clayton Porter has a series called Winning the West The first book was Rio Grande, the second was Fort Laramie, the third was Union Pacific, not sure on the follow up ones. His White Indian Series was more popular but that starts pre-revolutionary war, mot west.
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
I appreciate the recommendations, and I will definitely be looking them up when I have a bit more time! I think htat I may look up the "White Indian Series" as I think that even though it Pre Revelouionary, I and my fiance might enjoy it! Again I appreciate the recommendations and the response!
@nowment (1758)
Well the White Indian Series is great, it starts with the first book which is called LOL White Indian. It is about an white child who was raised by the Seneca, takes him through the changes that take place in colonial American, and into the the following generations, great reads, I had started reading them in 1979 and continued through the years, though later books like after the 13th or some were not as interesting to me as others, but I know there were at least 27 of them. another great book, is one that is older as well called Centenial, by James A. Michener it was a good mini-series as well, another older author you may not know is John Jakes, he has the Kent Family Chronicles, which yes start abit before the time you are looking for, but as the stories unfold the later generations go west. The first in that Series is a word site finds objectionable, so here is a link to it http://www.johnjakes.com/kentchronicles.htm some can be found a low prices on amazon as well, While I do enjoy historical romance there are times when you want something more than that, and these are good historical novels there stories are often sagas , I like a good historical novel that is not in the romance genre, and these give nice historical sagas, when families would have ties closer than we do today from one generation to the next, Hope you enjoy them as much as I have, in fact I had just begun re-reading the white indian series again, this time around I am up to the 4th book. As much as I enjoyed them 28 years ago, I am finding them just as enjoyable now, even though some of the story plots I remember well. This is actually the third time I am reading this series.
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
My fiance doesn't like romance novels although I am a fan of them, but we both are fans of historical novels so all the things you've suggested I'll definitely be mentioning to my fiance and looking them up for myself. The Kent Family sounds familiar so I am definitely going to be looking into that, and hopefully by the time I get done will have a whole list of books I want to get. I love amazon as well, you can usually find some good prices for books and my experience with amazon has always been great. I appreciate all of the information you've given me once again. If you find anything else you think I might be interested in then please do tell. I love to read books written years ago - the more modern books while interesting are not always attention grabbers for me and my fiance.