I think that if Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac fell a few months earlier...

@ParaTed2k (22981)
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Mitt Romney would have been given the Republican Nomination and would have won the election. We need someone with Romney's skills and experience more than a community organizer or even a senate lifer.
@Taskr36 (13923)
When the economy went in the crapper McCain really should have pulled Romney in to campaign with him. Some say Romney should have been the VP from the start, but for that I just say that hindsight is 20/20. What he should have done is announce that Romney would be his secretary of the treasury due to his clear record as a businessman and a governor. I agree though, had the economy collapsed in January, we'd likely be looking at president-elect Romney right now.
@ParaTed2k (22981)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
No, I still agree with McCain about bringing Palin on as VP. McCain had to give the Conservatives someone to rally around. As a VP choice, Romney would have further fractured an already split conservative vote. Of course, the RNC didn't like Palin, but they wouldn't have given Romney any more of a chance. They resented any nod to the conservatives at all. However, even though the evangelicals may not have wanted a Mormon as president, the minute the campaign became about the economy, Obama would have had a hard time painting Romney as incompetent.
@spalladino (17923)
Not trying to be a smart-a$$, but hasn't it been said that McCain knew the situation with Fannie and Freddie years ago and knew the problem was coming? Seems to me that he would have known how important it would be to have a vice president as strong on the economy as Romney. I had expected him to choose Mitt but this is my take on what happened: 1)Romney was sacked in favor of the Religious Right who would have objected to his religion. 2)The Republicans decided to go for the female vote instead.
@Taskr36 (13923)
Well Sarah Palin was pretty strong on the economy. Alaska has a budget surplus and with our nation in a recession it is one of the few states still experiencing growth. McCain may have foreseen the crisis, but there was certainly no way to know exactly when it would hit. He may have assumed it wouldn't be for another few months or even a year. I think that McCain was behind in the polls and he knew that he needed an exciting VP choice. Mitt Romney would have been solid, but certainly not exciting. I also think that it was less the female vote, and more specifically the Hillary vote he was going for. Obama already had the female vote even over Hillary although McCain made some fast albeit mostly temporary gains among women.
@ParaTed2k (22981)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Both your points are valid, but had the economy tanked before the primaries, "it's the economy stupid" would have trumped "but he's a stupid Mormon" in the eyes of a lot of people... and Obama would never have been able to bring the economy argument to his side against Romney.
@Taskr36 (13923)
Well McCain made the everlasting stupid statement that the economy was not his strong point. It was an honest statement, and honesty is NOT the way to go in politics. The economy isn't really Obama's strong point and there's no evidence to support the belief that it is. The fact is that he was smart enough to NEVER admit this weakness.