Good attendance or Senority?What quality do you think the employer would reward?

@nixxi76 (3192)
It seems that a certain co-worker and I are at competition again at the workfront. Here's the thing. My co-worker seems to have 125 lates at work and a record of calling in sick in the last year. They have been fighting every chance they've gotten for a full time position but is not granted by our employee because of her habits. Not only does this co-worker show up to work to start complaining about our job but also nit picks about every other person working there. They are also known for signing up for many shifts in a row just to hog them on the sign up sheet so they are to work 11 shifts in a row, then all of the sudden, gives many of those shifts away. I, myself have a very good track record of showing up for the shifts I have to work or have signed up for and being there at least 20 minutes prior to my shifts. The problem here is that this fellow co-worker has more senority over me and I"m afraid they may get the full time position. I think the two of us are the only ones who will be applying for it and not sure of how our employee will decide who to give this fulltime position to. Any ideas?
@Lakota12 (42681)
If I was the employer I would look at the way one worked and showed up for work and not call in sick when not. Just taking care of own business and not getting into others!. I do beleive that most employers do it this way so I would think you will get it! hang in there and good luck!
@nixxi76 (3192)
Thank you Lakota I sure do hope that I get the full time position because I believe that I deserve it more than that other person does.
@Lakota12 (42681)
I think so too . and Iknow i I imployed that other person and they kept up ll the hogging and lateness and no show they ould be fired1
@Lakota12 (42681)
thnaks for BR
@callarse1 (4786)
I have worked in union & non-union jobs...Really the only the thing seniority does is to determine vacation and personal days...usually the people with more seniority get more vacation dates & get preferences over people with less seniority... However for promotion, the bosses usually look at the overall picture..being late 125 or more times, skipping work, trying to get more shifts, etc...is NOT something that looks good. And to be honest with you I'd be fired at my job if I was late more than 6 times in 6 months..they are pretty strict...not sure how she was late 125 times! . I'm sure you are aware, however that some bosses try to "overlook" that and will just hire these type of people because they try to be the boss's friend...hopefully the two of you will be reviewed fairly..and if it's correct what you said...I'm thinking you'll get the promotion over her Pablo
@nixxi76 (3192)
All my work did was put her on probation because of her lates and absenses. I really hope they refuse her for this fulltime position. I'm going to apply for it and I"m not going to tell anyone that I did it. I'm just going to keep it all to myself. Thanks for your comment
@callarse1 (4786)
Uh oh, how did your work save your coworker from being fired? That's not fair that she was tardy/absent so many times. I'm glad you're going after the position. Pablo
@cripfemme (7713)
I think the employer should reward both. If you've been with a company for 15 years, you obviously have more knowledge of how the company runs than someone just coming on board. However, being the senior person does not make you immune from basic rules like punctuality. I don't care how senior a person you are. Not showing up on time should still be able to get you fired.
@nixxi76 (3192)
This co-worker has only been there about six month more than I have and I"ve been there for three years now. I know for a fact that she doesn't like her job because everytime she works she says this so my question to her is... why would she want the full time position? Thanks for your comment
most employers i've had only cared about attendance (aka,days they've profited from you),not about senority.if they give it to her with a track record like she has,i'd be looking for a new job.jobs where goof-ups get moved up before you do are almost guarenteed never to move you up.
@nixxi76 (3192)
Thank you for your comment. I've wanted this chance to have the fulltime forever! I hope I get it and they take me into consideration. I know I would be perfect for it and wouldn't call in ever.
Initially I would say seniority. However, after reading your full post, seniority should not be the only way of choosing. All those other things you mentioned, should be taken into account. Good luck
@nixxi76 (3192)
Thanks for your comment
@marisriel (1157)
There are many aspects to consider when choosing the right candidates for employment or promotions. But attendance for me is one major aspect that should be considered. It really shows the attitude and the eagerness of an individual to work if he has a good track record in attendance. When you say seniority, does it mean experience on the task that you are doing? This is also important since it will save a lot of money for an employer to get a skilled worker than a not so skilled one. However if the person is skilled but does not have the passion to go to work in time or in a regular basis, then it will be a better deal to get the one who is not that skilled but shows an attitude of perseverance. In time this person will get the needed skills. So what I suggest for you is to continue your good attendance and at the same time work on your skills. By doing these, you will have an upper hand on all the major aspects when your employer decides who to choose between the two of you.
@nixxi76 (3192)
Senority means the more years you've been at a job. Say for example, I've been at this job for 2 years and you have been there for 1 year, then I would have more senority than you. Thanks for your sight on things ~HAPPY MYLOTTING~