Whats the best flea medicine for dogs?

I would like to know what would be the most effective flea medicine to use on an adult dog. I have tried front line but that made my pup sick. So any suggestions? Home remedies would be good too.
@sammy009 (259)
HI. I had my dog at the vet, and he was itching now and then so i told the vet, and he gave me frontline, it worked good. The vet even told me they could get fleas in the winter. I would say since your dog had a reaction from frontline try advantage, and wash your dog with a flea shampoo. I read a article on fleas keeping them off dogs and it said garlic, a glove of gralic, chop it up and put it in your dogs food.
I have heard of the garlic treatment. I think I will try it since its a safe alternative to the meds.
@lisa0502 (1726)
I had used the advantage on my pets for fleas. It works really well. I have two rather large dogs and then two small papillons and had no problem with it. I have also heard that alot of breeders use it as well. Other than that just fleas shampoos is all I know about.