Starbucks to Stop Brewing Decaf After Noon

@anniepa (27248)
This certainly wouldn't bother me any since I don't drink decaf at any time but what I found interesting about this news is that Starbucks plans to save $400 MILLION by September by doing this. I heard on TV that they waste that much by all the decaf coffee that gets poured out. http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2009/01/26/daily40.html?ana=from_rss My question is, how could it take them so long to figure out they were pouting hundreds of millions of dollars down the drain? Annie
@uicbear (1902)
I find it interesting that Decaf becomes less wanted after noon. I would think that you'd get more people wanting Decaf as the day went on. Unless the people who like decaf only come in for their morning coffee. Well, I'm not a coffee drinker, so that goes to show how much I know about all that.
@anniepa (27248)
That was exactly what I first thought when I heard of this. I know I can't drink coffee late in the day or it keeps me up and I've already had decaf when I've been out for dinner in the evening but I sure wouldn't want decaf in the morning. Annie
@fluffysue (1463)
I thought that was a little odd, too. I would think people would want decaf later in the day. I dislike decaf because I could swear it does not taste the same, so I only get it in the late afternoon/evening. Now I guess I'll have to wait 4 minutes for it, but at least it will be fresh.
Wouldn't it make more sense to analyze their sales and brew up less? They'll alienate those customers who come in for decaf, and the friends they bring along to drink the usual overpriced brew!
@anniepa (27248)
I just realized I goofed...they will brew decaf if someone orders it if they're willing to wait approximately four minutes. At least that way they'll be getting it fresh. Annie
That's much smarter!
@suspenseful (40316)
Sounds like a good idea. Starbucks coffee is quite strong and you must not be sleeping in the afternoon. You have to stay wide awake. I think it is best they sell their decaf in the evenings when people have to get to sleep. I guess they were rather annoyed of all those people snoring.
@anniepa (27248)
Actually they're only going to have the decaf available at all times up until noon so in the afternoons and evenings you'll have to wait four minutes for it. I wouldn't blame them for being annoyed by people snoring, though...lol! Annie
@ShepherdSpy (8562)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
No Caffeine,No Point! If I didn't want caffeine in my drink,I'd be ordering something different,NOT coffee or Tea related...So,If they're going to save $400m by brewing Decaf to order,how much do they waste on dumping regular coffee that had sat too long? There was an issue in the news not long ago about Starbucks in London(UK)wasting water and money by using a constant "Well" to rinse the equipment in use..If they haven't addressed metered water issues as yet,that could be another saving for them,too!
@anniepa (27248)
It sounds like they lack business sense in general, doesn't it? They charge what I believe to be exorbitant prices for their coffee and cry when they lose money due to their own waste! Also, I sure agree about caffeine. It's the caffeine I NEED when I drink coffee! Annie
@become (89)
Thanks for bringing this too my attention. Not that I am a decaf drinker yet I love Starbucks and their coffee. The funny thing about their new decaf program is that they could be wasting a lot more money with this program as well. If you didn't know, now you do, whenever you visit a Starbucks and they don't have coffee ready when you order, your coffee is suppose to be free, for the inconvenience of having to wait. So as you see, even though they have the potential of saving $400M, if one person goes in and wants decaf they still are going to brew it and if the person is in the know, their coffee will be free.
@anniepa (27248)
Maybe they'll add a disclaimer to that offer. Even so, you wouldn't think the amount they "waste" by giving out free cups would amount to over $400 million in a year, would you? Then again, at their prices, maybe it would...lol! Annie
If they paid attention to this they probably could've said money a long time ago. I think that they should brew less coffee in general. They'll be losing customers, therefore money, by not brewing decaf.
@anniepa (27248)
I agree with you. To be honest unless I'm in a super hurry I'd rather wait a few minutes to have a good fresh cup of coffee than to have some that's possibly been sitting on the warmer for hours. Annie
@gabs8513 (48712)
Wow that is amazing I would have thought that they would sort of keep Record and then cater for that amount
@anniepa (27248)
Wow is right, Gabs! You and I should be running a major corporation; we'd probably do better than some of the idiots that are these days and I know I wouldn't need a share of that $18 BILLION in bonuses the Wall Street bosses paid themselves on our dime. Annie
seems to me they wouldn't figure it out not until they see the economic is going down so badly...i guess they wouldn't even see it if this economic crisis did not happen..imagine that million of dollars that they wasted over the years..
@anniepa (27248)
It probably would easily reach billions, possibly hundreds of billions wasted altogether. That's sinful as far as I'm concerned! Annie
@ZephyrSun (7385)
Because now, like most other US companies are figuring out that they are broke and needed to find ways to cut back. It's such a shame that they don't do it until they are facing going out of business.
@anniepa (27248)
I know, I've always said some of these people who own or run businesses are so smart, most of them have all kinds of college degrees, but I only have a high school diploma and I have more common sense than they do! Annie
I saw that Starbucks was having a lot of problems but I did not hear about them not brewing decaf coffee anymore. I'm not sure why it took them so long to realize how much money was being wasted. They may not have really noticed a big problem until the economy started going under when more and more people stopped buying coffee and they needed to look at the books and cut costs somewhere so decaf coffee was the first thing to go.
@anniepa (27248)
You're probably right. I guess Starbucks would be like the rich people who didn't worry about waste like the poor and middle-classed people who always paid attention to what had to be thrown away. Once they started losing money, then they noticed what they were throwing away everyday! Annie
@bellaofchaos (11549)
I would have to say before the economy took a nose dive people were buying enough caffinated coffee to support the offset of the decaf. But once everyone started cutting back there was no longer any thing for them to offset the deficite that they were taking by offering the decaf. Which IMO if they new wasn't doing well should have made that a made to order coffee letting everyone know that they would have to wait for it while it brewed. LOL!!! I think that in major chains like starbucks they don't care about that until the economy hits a major pitfall like it is now.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
It is funny how many things get by until there is a reason to cut out wasteful things. Hopefully it helps them.
@Bd200789 (2994)
I don't know how they didn't notice that before, either.