If you want to continue to work for us you have to relocate

@lilybug (21145)
halfway across the country. This is what my brothers employer told him It is a 6 month "temporary assignment". Basically in order to keep his job he has to go for the next 6 months. After that 6 months he continues to work at this assignment and it becomes permanent or he take a severance package. What would you do in this situation? Especially the way the economy is?
@mysdianait (65079)
Withe the way things are I would definately think twice about refusing. I am not aware of your brother, whether he has family or not. If so would they be with him during the six months? What are the alternatives if he refuses?
@lilybug (21145)
He has a wife and 2 step daughters. One is in high school and the other in college. His wife has a good job as a dental assistant so I think she and the kids will stay.
@lilybug (21145)
Oh, and he does not get severance pay unless he does the next 6 months in North Carolina.
@mysdianait (65079)
I fear he has not choice but to accept lilybug. Especially the way things are going at the moment and tomorrow being so insecure
@sudalunts (5526)
That's a tough one, kind of like a dam if you do and dam if you don't. If your brother accepts this assignment for the six months and then accepts the permanent position, sounds like his family would have to move to where he is, since it is halfway across the country. I think I would accept the six months temporary assignment and when it is done take the severance package. Hopefully, in six months things will be better and he would be able to find another job where he lives. At least he will be able to survive on the severance for a while. How difficult would it be for him to travel back and see his family during this six month assignment? That could be a strain on his relationship too.
@lilybug (21145)
Oh, I forgot that part! They are willing to pay for him to fly home for a 4 day weekend twice a month.
@TrvlArrngr (4052)
I have relocated twice for my job. From New York to Florida and then to North Carolina. You do what you have to do in order to keep your job and support your family. With this economy it might be hard to find another job that pays the same if you do not choose to relocate.
@ersmommy1 (12597)
I'd hate to be in that situation. I am sure he doesn't care for it either. But in this economy I'd do what it took to stay employed. Especially since it looks like it will take longer than 6 months for things to improve. It really stinks though.
@cynthiann (18613)
• Jamaica
I think that he should take it - definitely. Especially in these times. six months will go by fast and if when he returns he will be able to collect severance pay. I don't think that he has mnuch of an option. Who knows? His family may want to relocate if he is happy in the job. he has to keep an open mind and bring his family in on the discussion. Good luck to him. Blessings