I ordered a Government Grant Kit...

Hello, I just ordered a Government Grant Kit, which ended up just being a CD. Okay, so I popped it into my computer and got a lot of info on how to sign up for SSI and foodstamps and all that. I don't need to know how to do that! I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and maybe knows if I'm doing something wrong here or whatever. My CD has an American flag photo stretched across the front of it. It was 'free' I just paid shipping and handling. Are there even good ones out there? Just curious, because I would like to tap into a few of these grants at least. Not asking for a huge check in the mail. Just a little.
I thought government grants were mostly for specific projects, like scientists, or university professors would write a proposal to fund their project. And of course, the Pell grants and things for going to college. I didn't think there was a way to just say "Hey, I need money" to the govt. I guess the entitlement programs are grants, too, but you have to be so destitute to get on them it isn't funny.