Child support or No??

my daughter is due to have my first grandbaby in July.Her and the babys father are no longer together.heres my problem with that,,,she doesn't think he should pay child support as long as he provides medical coverage, diapers,furnula ,clothes etc,,, I told her that may last for a couple monnths if that long ,,she needs a child support order,,babies are expensive!,,whats your thoughts
@dlr297 (5416)
You are right, She needs to get a child support order through the courts, that way he has to pay what they say he needs to and not what he thinks that he has to, and that way his rights to see the child can be established also.
you are so true,,, he needs to have visitation rights ,etc.. all set up.,,I'm on hopes that maybe they work things out before baby is born,,, this is the first one of her boyfriends I have really truely liked..:-(
@sid556 (30989)
I agree with you. The promises of "help" are all well and good and if he actually stuck to that kind of help, it would be a fair trade-off. The problem with that comes when he for whatever reason doesn't feel he can or wants to help...then she will be stuck with supporting the child entirely on her own. He needs to be legally held accountable. If he is paying a fair amount then she will be able to buy the things the baby needs.
@CatGods (4592)
With the child support money, she can do as she pleases with it. Many yeas ago I had a neighbor and the father took the kids all summer, paid for all the medical, got all the school clothes and supplies. But he didn't have to pay for child support because he did it in the other ways. Child support isn't necessarily based on the number of children but based on how much the father makes. From a mans position, and I agree with this, there is nothing wrong with the father covering the medical and other necessities opposed to paying child support. At least the father knows that the money he is spending is really going for the childs needs. Whereas the child support check can be spent in any way the mother wants and allot of times the child doesn't really see any of that money. I'm not saying your daughter would be like that. Although I am a female, I have seen men get screwed over with child support big time and the mother spends the money any way she wants.
@srganesh (6345)
Child growing now a days are costly with all the costly medicines and vaccines.Also,the expenditure towards dresses,diapers as you told cannot be ignored.I think your son in law should hold responsibilities and provide some economical support for the baby.More than that,what your daughter needs at the most now is mental support.Why should not you try to solve the misunderstandings between them and make them live together again.The new baby can be a good reason for their union again.Try your level best.Cheers!
@Ritchelle (3795)
the medical coverage and other stuff that you mentioned are a form of child support already. maybe your daughter is making things a lot easier not on him but on herself: if she expects too much it may hurt her big time. but, i think, there are laws on this: not on whether a biological father should support a child but laws accept dna results to push men and hold them liable of criminal offenses if they do not give child support.