Cheese preferences in Lasagna

@suspenseful (40314)
I have been debating in whether to use Ricotta cheese when making my lasagna. Usually I used the dried curd cottage cheese because it does not have as many calories, but so far have not used the other kinds. I usually make it with ground round and tomato spaghetti sauce. But I have no idea if the cheeses, cottage cheese or Ricotta are the same, or if they have a different taste. I know the Ricotta where I live is more expensive $4.00 for a small carton, whereas the regular cottage cheese is less. So I was wondering whether the higher price for the Ricotta is worth it?
@ElicBxn (61132)
My mother's recipe for lasagna called for ricotta cheese, but she had to use the dry curd cottage cheese because she couldn't get the other in the "dark" ages in Austin. now, mom's recipe didn't use spagetti sauce she had to make her own - and it was YUMMY!
@suspenseful (40314)
I use the dry curd cheese and add an egg. We can get ricotta in the Superstore here, but I have not seen it in our cheese store or in Safeway but then I had not looked. I used to make it with regular tomato sauce, and add ground beef, bay leaf, etc. and the usual Italian spices. And I made the kind with the no-boil noodles - sort of lazy.
@dragon54u (31638)
I really can't taste the difference between ricotta and cottage cheese when I use it in lasagna. We don't have dry curd here so I use the fat free and drain the liquid off it. It makes great lasagna! I found a recipe for American Lasagna in an old cookbook and use it instead of the standard recipe. It's about the same but you use the wide egg noodles instead of the lasagna noodles. It's really easy to make. Cook the noodles, throw in the rest of the stuff, stir it all up and dump it in a cassole to bake. Yummy and easy!
@suspenseful (40314)
We have dried curd because many here are Mennonites and they use the dried curd to substitute for creamed cheese in cheese cake. That sounds like a good recipe. What is the cookbook you got it from?
@dragon54u (31638)
It was an old Betty Crocker cookbook from the 50's that I picked up in a used book shop. Unfortunately, it was accidentally thrown away when the kids and I moved out of the family house after my husband left, I had forgotten it and he assumed I didn't want it. I am looking for another one, it had such wonderful recipes in it!
@suspenseful (40314)
Thanks. I have a newer Betty Crocker cookbook. I threw my old one away too. So I will see if that recipe is in that as well.
@cynthiann (18613)
• Jamaica
I tell you what I do to cut down on the cost of cheese and also the amount of fat used in making Lasagna: - I use plain yoghurt. Trust me - you would never know as it has a creamy teaxture - I cut the amount of cheese in half. cottage cheese is also goof b ut where I live - yoghurt is cheaper and vdery effective. I would use a stronger cheese liker a cheddar instaed of ricooa too. Blessings
@suspenseful (40314)
That sounds good. Do you use the regular yogurt, low fat, or fat free yogurt, and do you put it in a cheesecloth bag and get the water to drip out and make it into a sort of cheese?
@cynthiann (18613)
• Jamaica
I use low fat regular yoghurt. Do I strain it? No - just mix it in - trust me - no one will know the difference. Try it .
@emilie2300 (1889)
use Riccotta cheese its the best you dont want to put curd cottege cheese in the lassagna I am italian
@suspenseful (40314)
I should try it with ricotta. It is just that it costs more then cottage cheese here in Canada (I suppose unless you live in Ontario or British Columbia where there are a lot of Italians).
I live in Pittsburgh my parents are from Italy. I know with the economy and reccession where in things to cost more and its a shame. I just wouldnt recomend useing cottage cheese.
@carolscash (9500)
I have had it both ways and I say that the ricotta is well worth the extra money. I don't care for it with the cottage cheese in it. I think that it has a more bland taste with it. I also always use shredded mozarella and parmesan cheese in mine. I have thought about cooking lasagna for a week or so. I might do it tomorrow after work.
@suspenseful (40314)
We make it with dried cottage cheese and egg and egg and we use mozeralla and parmesan cheese. I would like to try it with ricotta, but we are watching our budget right now.
@reckon21 (3484)
Hmmm, I just love eating lasagna. It's one of my favorite foods, in fact all the time. I prefer it with lots of cheese. I love cheese.
@suspenseful (40314)
I love the meat lasagna, and when I use the tomato sauce, it has to be with a bay leaf in it. Just from the can will not do.
@stacyv81 (5904)
I prefer cottage cheese in my lasagna, it makes it more creamy. I do put an egg in it though and mix it up before putting it in the lasagna to cook.
@suspenseful (40314)
That's what I do. I guess it does make it taste like the kind made with ricotta. Do you use ground beef in it, like I do?
@Polly1 (12647)
I don't use Ricotta or cottege cheese when I make mine. I like to use monzerrela, parmasean and maybe cheddar or monterey jack cheese, I like to use a mixture of shredded cheeses, yummy.
@suspenseful (40314)
I always used cottage cheese, and I use ground beef and tomato sauce. I have not tried with shredded cheeses, but I would not mind trying some lighter varieties, and I do what it would taste with Ricotta. I have wanted to try it with Italian sausage and I might make spinach lasagna. I do not like spinach that much (unless it is raw in salad) so I have to have it disguised.
@sudalunts (5526)
I actually made lasagna on this past Sunday. I have always used ricotta cheese and not cottage cheese, therefore I would not know the difference in taste. You are correct the ricotta is rather expensive. I paid $3.99 for a 16oz container. What was left over I will use when I make baked ziti. I do the same thing when making my lasagna, use ground beef and spaghetti sauce, I also add some chopped onions.
@suspenseful (40314)
That is the same price we have for our ricotta here in our Superstore in Winnipeg. I did not know you could keep ricotta. I thought you had to use it all on the same day.
@deanna2 (159)
hi well i use the cottage cheese to make mine i don't see any difference in taste i use ground beef hunts spaghetti sauce cottage cheese and mozerella cheese.try it i think you will like it.
@suspenseful (40314)
I used to use Hunts Spaghetti sauce, but my husband prefers Ragu. I find it a bit too sweet for me.
I have had lasagna with cottage cheese. I did not care for it as much as the ricotta. What you can do if you really want it lower in calories/fat is you can get the light/part skim ricotta or go all the way and get the fat free. You can also wait until you get a coupon to get it and then it will be cheaper.
@suspenseful (40314)
I will see if they have the skim ricotta. So far, I have not seen it, and it seldom comes on sale, but they might. We do have instore coupons here and there has been some on cottage cheese and regular cheese, but not on ricotta yet.
As far as i know, ricotta is the only cheese I've had in lasagna. It's richer than cottage cheese, has more body, and in my opinion tastes better. I do think the higher price is worth paying for. My daughter and her hubby make their own ricotta. I can ask her for the recipe if you like.
@suspenseful (40314)
I will have to try it, I mean if my husband does not go through the roof when I show him the cost.
@reinydawn (11649)
I don't like Ricotta at all, so I don't use it. I use cottage and motzerella cheeses in mine. Let us know how it turns out for you!
@suspenseful (40314)
I will.
@daneg33 (1131)
Ricotta is more of a "dessert" cheese. By that, I mean you can add one packet of artificial sweetener to it (usually about a half a cup is one serving) and one drop of your favorite extract flavour. Almond is nice. I use 1% cottage cheese in my lasagna, I mix it with chopped fresh basil, 2 eggs and salt and pepper. Instead of ground round beef, I use hot italian turkey sausages (Tailgate brand) and I remove the meat from the casings and brown it first. It's very delicious. Also, I add salsa sauce to my sauce. It adds a nice zing. Whenever possible, especially with sauces, be sure to add chopped fresh spices. Fresh Basil will knock your socks off in a lasagna.
@suspenseful (40314)
I would like to sacrifice turkey instead of ground beef in many of my recipes, but it seems that ground turkey is more expensive here. That Italian turkey sausage sounds pretty good. I do not know if we get Tailgate brand here, but we do get Jimmy Deans's and our store brand. That sounds like a good recipe.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
I love mine with Ricotta cheese way better then the cottage cheese but I have also replaced the cottage cheese in place of the ricotta because of cost. Did you know that Italian Ricotta is typically made from the whey of sheep, cow, goat, or water buffalo milk, the American product is almost always made of cow's milk whey. While both types are low in fat and sodium, the Italian version is nutty, slightly sweet and has dry texture, while the American is blander, sweeter, moister, and therefore more neutral in cooking. I use the ricotta when I want a treat for my taste buds but I also doctor the cottage cheese up when I use it by adding some parmesan,a little bit of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 egg and some spices..mostly sweet basil. So what did you choose?
@albert2412 (1782)
Hi. I love Lasagna and other good italian food! You make me hungry talking about food like that. I wish that I couldeat some of your lasagna!