Holidays in Istanbul

This September, I'll be going to Istanbul for a holiday with my sister. It'll be the first time that I have been there and the first time that I'll have gone to Turkey for that matter. So I'm wondering how many of you have been there and what do you think of the city and the people?
I'd love to go to Istanbul, former Costantipoli. I'm planning my holidays and the travel and hope to find a plane that goes there from the South of Italy. Maybe I'll pass from Greece again.
I've been to the South of Italy many years ago - to Puglia. I took the train down from Milan, a 12 hour overnight journey which had been preceded by a further 12 hours in Milan station wating for it's departure. A long and tedious journey. I suppose that the only international airport for the South would be Naples?
Today the airport of Bari is well equipped for international flights!!!There are some companies that allow can you to travel outside Italy.
I see that things have moved on since I was down there! Well it was nearly 40 years ago!
@baskan (2)
Istanbul is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The view of Bosphorus is a must see for everyone. The Taksim Square is like the "heart" of the city. People from every background go there and enjoy themselves. If you would like to see more upper scale parts of the city, you should go to Nisantasi or Bebek. Istanbul has spectacular history. You should definitely visit Topkapi Palace, Dolmabahce Palace and the Golden Horn area.
Thanks for your response. We will be staying in a hotel just above the Golden Horn and within easy walking distance of the most ancient part of the city. Only today I was with my sister discussing where we could go and what to see. We will be there for only 6 days, so we will only have time to see the most important places.
@maximax8 (29129)
I went to beautiful Istanbul back in 2003 and 2004. I spent New Year in wonderful Turkey. Istanbul is a stunning looking city with a rich history. The most amazing sight I saw there was the Blue Mosque. After dark there are some amazing views that look spectacular. You can hop from Europe to Asia by ferry and that is a fascinating thing to do. I met some very friendly Turkish people in Istanbul. I hope that you an your sister will have a lovely time in Istanbul. The weather should be sunny and warm in September.
My sister does not like it if it is too hot, that's why we are gong in September. I'm looking forward to visiting the former Santa Sophia. Is that now the Blue Mosque? (you can tell that at this point, I've not done much research) I'd also like to take a trip down to the site of Troy, I believe that there are tours which go down there.
@mikoiks2 (216)
wew, holiday in Istanbul? are you sure? this is good Idea, my friends. you can having fun in there and can buying something what do you want in there. Maybe next time I will go to Istanbul if my office give me to holiday , too. or I will go there if leave , soon. maybe you can give money to help buy ticket airplane's?