Questions for Etsy Sellers

I've been told I should try to open up my own Etsy store from folks. Though my origional question was do the things I've made look sellable for a craft fair my friend asked me to make things for. But since they brought up Etsy... I thought I would ask. I understand all the listing fee's & percentages of the sale. But what I was wondering is does anyone actually have this as a "business" or just as someone who sells for a hobby? If that makes any sense... Ya know are you operating as a business with a tax id # & the whole bookkeeping and taxes that go along with it ? or someone who does it as a hobby who under normal circumstances at say a craft fair would sell for "cash only" ? Just wondering how you run things & any advice on the matter.... thanks much
I have a shop on Etsy.com and a couple of smaller shops on a couple other sites. I do have a tax ID because I will sometimes sell at craft fairs and vendors really need to have a tax ID to sell at fairs and shows, or run the risk of being shutdown should the tax man show up. I also look to consign/sell wholesale/rent space, to sell my jewelry in boutiques and gift shops and a taxID is needed for this also. I do claim my all of my sales and expenses on my tax return and I also pay taxes quarterly for all of my in-state sales. Paypal & Etsy fees are fairly easy to track and state taxes are built into the prices of my items (should they sell in state) I don't know how the IRS determines what is a business and what is only a hobby. My tax adviser told me I needed to claim my sales. Basically, he said that if the items are made to be sold for a profit, it is considered a business not a hobby. Should the business lose money three straight years, the IRS may consider it to be a hobby at that point (and the word "may" means- who really knows, IMO)I'll continue to use an adviser to guide me on this matter. But yes, I do run it like a business, with a notebook full to record all in-state sales and sales tax paid by quarter, along with a file containing all order confirmations for all of my purchases.
See all this tax business is what scares me & makes me wonder if it's worth it ya know? I did not realize @ craft fairs they would require a tax id from you, but it makes sense at the same time too.
Yes, it is possible that the state may send someone to a show to check for tax ID's. It's really quite simple for state IDs. I filled out a tax form at the state tax site on the net and within 10 business days they had sent me my temporary tax ID. I pay my sales tax quarterly by phone (it can also be done online in the state I live in) Speaking of which, today is the last day of the quarter, so I'll need to get hubby to sit down and figure out my sales tax so I can call them in the next 10 days to pay my bill (it should be a whopping $10...at most...lol)
@busyB4 (875)
Here they ask for a license to sell, not really a tax number. What is so bad too is having to pay taxes to different cities,counties ,etc.. for craft shows. I was told that you did not need a tax number if you sold to a whoelsale place, or it was on consignment and the store owner collects and files the taxes, only if you plan to go retail.
What ever you do with etsy don't forget to open an ecrater.com store as well. There are no fees and I have sold on it a few times. I like etsy.com and I have my bags there as well. But I rather sell crafts where I have them listed for more days and can be re listed if need be. ecrater.com blujay.com I sell for a living to support myself and my child. No I don't have a tax id. I don't find the need for one right now.
I was thinking even craigs list to keep it on a cash only basis as I only make things as I want or need to ya know. I'm glad you are able to support yourself this way. A neighbor when I was growing up she quit her job to do crafting fulltime like when the craft malls were doing well and such she made more crafting than holding down a real job while her kids were in school.
I sell on Ebay, etsy, etc. I only sell for cash right now as I'm so small a business and am homebased that to register and have a tax ID is silly. Once I am in it for a year at least and start making more than I spend, then and only then will I bother to get a tax ID. In the meantime, I charge for the product and shipping cost, but I add NO TAX to my listings.