Health insurance and counseling

@Trace86 (5033)
This just doesn't seem right. I only copied part of the story as it was quite long. Do you think it is right to be denied health insurance because you are in counseling after the death of your spouse? http://www.southtownstar.com/news/kadner/1522128,041209Kadner.article Don't expect to get health insurance if you're in grief counseling, even if you're willing to pay the bill yourself. That seems to be the message from Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois. Lesley Shworles, of Frankfort, a 42-year-old mother of two, lost her husband last year. A firefighter, he died of a heart attack at home. Shworles has been trying to hold things together. Her husband, the primary wage earner for the family, also supplied the health insurance through his job. After his death, the Shworles family went on COBRA, a federally mandated plan that allows people to temporarily extend health insurance benefits that otherwise would be terminated. She discovered that a new federal program paying 65 percent of the cost of COBRA is only for people who have lost their jobs, not for people whose spouse has died. "It was costing $937 a month for the three of us," Mrs. Shworles said. "I can't afford it." So she put the two children into a state health insurance plan for $80 a month. She said she was told by government employees that she didn't qualify for the state program because she was earning $14 an hour in her part-time job.
@drannhh (15235)
No, that sure doesn't sound right. It is sad to hear stories like that. I hope all turns out well for her and for the children.
$80 a month? Hey can I have one of those health plans? Because I come from the city that never sleeps but loves to charge MINIMUM $150 a month for the lowest health plan out there. I currently have no health insurance and will not until next year when I get married. If I did, I would enroll myself into some grief counseling after losing my mom, best friend, and his mom all in one year. It sucks I can't do that right now, talking to regular people doesn't really help that much.
@krissy32 (205)
I think that stinks. It is bad enough that she lost not only the father of her children, her partner in life and companionship of a spouse and then to be denied health insurance just because she is needing some grief counseling. What does health insurance have to do with grief counseling anyway? The two are totally different things, unless of course the health insurance plan includes grief counseling. Good grief, the absolutely appalling greed of the insurance companies knows no boundaries. Appalling and this company should be ashamed of themselves.