Can somebody explain the Tea Party protests to me?

@jend80 (2068)
They haven't been covered over here in Britain (just like the G20 protests don't seem have been covered in the US - at least going by what's on Mylot). Are they the equivilent of our (anti) Poll Tax demos in the early 90's - only without the rioting?
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
While taxes are a large issue, the broader and more important issue in these protests is a demand that the government cease it's over reaching actions and begin operating with in it's constitutional bounds, thats about as simple an explanation as I can muster anyways, it is far more complex than that, but that's the core issue right there.
@us2owls (1681)
They got their name from the historical Boston Tea Party. tea was thrown into the water against the British Taxation. These "Tea Parties," are to try and get the Senate and the congress to pay attention. Obama promised change - the changes he is making are certainly no benefit to the American People. It is going to grow until someone has to take notice. Disgust with Obama is growing on a daily basis.
@Fortunata (1136)
My husband told about how Maggie Thatcher had people arrested and thrown in jail for not paying the poll tax. I guess the tea parties are more laid back, lol. It hasn't come to violence yet, and I hope it doesn't, ever.
@Adoniah (7515)
We are protesting the misuse of our tax dollars. Our money is being used to do projects that are totally useless just to get Congressmen/women and Senators reelected next year. They figure if money is spent in their state the dumb residents will vote for them. Well, we are trying to show them that we are not so dumb and are not going to stand for it. We have been slandered and called obsene and vile names by the media. The President said he didn't even know we were out there, even though, there was a large one right outside of the White House. The White House had to go into "Lock Down" because someone threw a box of tea over the fence and security thought it was a bomb, and Obama still said he did not know anything about the tea parties even though he was at home. I think he lied. How about you? Shalom~Adoniah