Starting tomorrow think of Canada as a foreign country

Undocumented crossings will be history as of Monday The day that U.S. border crossers anxiously have been preparing for is finally here. At 12:01 a.m. Monday, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative takes effect. The days of going back and forth to Canada over the Peace Bridge with just a verbal declaration of U. S. citizenship officially ends. Instead, travelers returning home from Canada will be required to present a U.S. passport, passport card, enhanced driver’s license or Trusted Traveler Program card such as NEXUS. Frequent border crossers seem to have accepted the changes, albeit begrudgingly, and have been crowding local Department of Motor Vehicles offices for enhanced driver’s licenses and post offices for passports over the past few weeks, especially during the last couple of days. http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/687882.html Well our northern border is safer now. Why can't the feds do something to make our Mexican border safer?
@Rollo1 (16650)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I know this step is necessary to avoid potential terrorists getting into the US via the Canadian border, but I still think of it as a sad day. My father was Canadian and in the old days, you could drive across the border with a carload of family and just declare you were visitng. It was equally easy coming back. I think that it made for a very friendly relationship amongst border states and our neighbor to the north. The southern border on the other hand is a constant source of illegal immigration. The worst thing in my opinion is the number of people who die each year at the hands of unscrupulous smugglers. I can't think of anything more cruel than taking money from a desperate person who just wants a better life and then letting them die in the back of a crowded, locked truck.
@Rollo1 (16650)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think what bothers me most, aside from the human smugglers, are the criminals that come across the borders. They never seem to get caught, only the very poor who are struggling to find the kind of freedom and life that Americans seem to be taking for granted. But we may not have to close the borders. The reports are that with the recession and the collapse of the economy, illegal immigration has slowed quite a bit as well. Funny that. Seems you can tell when the country is doing well because everyone wants to get in.
If they can do this with one border why cant they do it with the other? you know the one that really NEEDS to be closed honestly I would rather leave the Canadian border open and close the Mexican one
Don't be misled. This is not about tracking or stopping terrorists. It is about keeping tabs on you. It's not designed to stop the illegal alien or terrorist who is motivated enough to cross the border in the wilderness. Brother Barry wants to know the who, what, where, when and why of you. It's the whole "hmm...your peppers are note in order... comb wit me" thing from the movies.
@ElicBxn (61135)
living in Texas, that is so true, what is so WRONG about a fence? of course, a certain number of illegals die every year getting lost in the deserts in the southwest.