What Do You Think?
June 23, 2009 5:29pm CST
If your boyfriend tells you he's got a better job offer and has to move to another city, how would you react? Especially if you can't move together with him, what will you do? Will you agree to a long distance relationship? Will you separate? What is the right thing to do?
24 Jun 09
I was in this kind of situation before with my boyfriend then now my husband, we were in our 5yrs relationship when he got a better offer from a very good company....at first he turned down the job because I was hesitant and afraid what if it won't worked out for us, but then it was offered to him again months later so I decided that if he really wants the job I won't stop him because I don't want him to have regrets and I'll be the cause of it, so he accepted it and for 4 months it was miserable for both of us, on the 5th month he quit his job coz he said it was not worth it being so far from me and his family
• United States
24 Jun 09
I don't know if he'll make a decision to move without consulting with me first. That's just how we are. However, if he has to move (and doesn't have a choice) then we'll probably TRY the long distance thing (granted we're semi-long distance anyway)for a while, knowing that we'll be together in a month or so. If he has to stay there for good - I'll do my best to look for a job there and move with him (i'm not very good with the long distance thing for a long time, I know. Been there done that, never again). As for what's the right thing to do - that differs from one relationship to the other. For us, we've already talked about the possibility of moving. Or if one person will move, will the other follow. And the answer is yes. =D
23 Jun 09
I certainly wouldn't stand in his way or try to stop him. A strong relationship will withstand a bit of distance and he needs to do what's right for him and his life. He shouldn't be put in a position where he has to choose between the job and me. That said, there is no 'right' way - if you are in a serious, committed relationship, you need to talk through your feelings and decide what's the best mutual solution. Good luck.