Why do you think that kids are more misbeaved then when you were growing up?

I personal thing it has a lot to do with displine. This day in age you are look at bad as a parent if you spank you child/ren. I was spanked as a child. I did not grow up to be abusive. If you slightly raise your vioce at a child you are being a abusive. I was yelled out and I turned out fine. I think the idea of being abused has change so much that it is out of control. Now don't get me wrong there is a differnce in abuse and spanking. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with hitting your child/rens on the but with a opened hand. No closed fist or objects.
@sbeauty (5870)
We're definitely seeing the effects of lax discipline in many children today. I've been working in education for a lot of years now, and kids have changed. In fact, it has gotten so bad in schools that older, veteran teachers all say that if a young person asked them if they should go into teaching, they'd tell them absolutely not. Even the little children think that the world revolves around them and that everyone should give them what they want immediately when they want it. By the time children get to school age, it's too late. Parents need to make the effort to discipline their children from the time the child is capable of doing something wrong. Thinking "Oh isn't that cute" and ignoring the problem behavior isn't going to work. If a parent can't control a toddler then they don't stand a chance of controlling a teenager. My preferred discipline is teaching the child to reason and talk over why their behavior is inappropriate. This is a learned behavior which parents need to start teaching very young.
I try to do the talking to them also. Every time I get on to my children I explain to them why they got into trouble.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
Amen sbeauty! Well written! Plus, I wouldn't want to be a teacher in this era either! When my girls were little, I'd always talk over why their bad behavior wasn't appropriate. (I probably only had to ever resort to a one-swat 'spank' twice in their whole childhood.) They grew up with understanding the 'why' of their inappropriate actions, as opposed to the attitude:'because I said so.' I always tried to have them see how they would feel if the shoe was on the other foot. They grew up to be respectful of others, and authority and were never a problem in school or anywhere else. They raise their children in the same fashion and are wonderful people.
I went to school to be A teacher but I lost me full ride and had to drop out and now I am kind of glad that I did not get my degree because I would be in that wourld.
I agree with you 100%.
Thank you for your reply.
@pooja_cg (1735)
i agree with u except about physical punishments.i think that has happened because of effect of tv.now they see characters which are not real and always doing fun.they imagine themselves in their place.another thing is that earlier there used to be many kids in home now only one or two.full concentration on them.more pampering makes them stubborn and they know u cannot punish them hardly uses it as a weapon for them.
I agree with you on the point of they know that they can not really be punished so they take advatage of that.
I agree with you, people aren't aloud to punish their children anymore and the children have no reason to fear what will happen if they do something wrong. My sister's has 3 children and if she even "threatens" to take a toy away from them and they go to school and tell the teacher this, they try and say it's abuse and she can't tell them that! I mean, what are parents to do then?
My niece plays base ball and get hit in the arm by a fly ball and when she went to school on monday her teacher called the cops and said she was being abused. They did a 6 week investagion on the hole house. Give us a break kids fall and get hit by a ball it happens.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
I definitely think kids are more misbehaved than when I was growing up! Nowadays, you can't discipline your child without the fear of disapproval from somebody. Back in the 50's, I was spanked a few times (about 3 times total.) Spanked is not being beaten, it's a swat on the behind with an open palm; beating is not spanking, it is cruel, and it's abuse. (Even the bible says 'spare the rod, spoil the child'...and I'm sure it doesn't literally mean beating them with a stick for pete's sake!) From a spanking, we learned not to do something again after we had been repeatedly warned. Now, you can warn repeatedly, till you're blue in the face, but they have learned that there is no 'consequence' to pay for their actions. (And from learning that, they think it's acceptable.) The childrens threat to their parents is now: 'I will turn you in to children's services.' Parents send them to their room, where (more than likely) they have toys, computer and a TV. Teachers used to be able to give a kid a swat with parental permission, they are not allowed to do that anymore. So, kids get away with thinking they can get away with anything! But you know what, once these out of control children get so bad that their parents, or the court system, sends them to 'boot camp', do they think they'll not be 'debased' by the screaming and all the things they do for discipline there...heck no! They should have been getting some proper training, discipline, and understanding from the time they were little! Everywhere I go I see young parents not doing a thing about their childrens unacceptable bad behavior. They now dress, and talk like tramps, and cuss like sailors (just a metaphor, if you're a sailor;-), and call their parents horrible names like I just can't believe. The kids have not learned respect for anyone, or anything, much less their parents and elders. Now it seems that parents want to be their kids 'friends', and it's like they don't want their kid to ever be mad at them, so they let them continue their bad behavior. They are allowing disrespect by doing nothing, and it's never going to get better, only worse, from what I've seen.
I am so glad that I am not the only one that believe that kids are getting away with it all. I completely agree with every thing that you have said. I have a adopted niece that was adopted till she was 16 and because of the poor parenting she had she is so out of control. At this point my brother and his wife are at ends with her. When I send my oldest at age three to hs room he does not get to play with his toys, he does not have a tv in his room. I only do this for a few minutes because he is so young, but it does make him think twice before he does the same thing again. Sending them to thier room, when the room is set up like a living room is pointless.
@carmat (2850)
You are completely on the money, It's nice to know other people think the same way as me, Im not completely alone in my parenting ideas. thanks,
Thank you for agreeing with me.
@mansha (6301)
Yes I think so true in our age we were scared of our parents and new that house has some rules and we have to abide with those. Nowdays its hard to explain tokids rules.I think we allow them to be there own boss too early.and hence they end up making wrong choices. A stern handling is required but not necessarily shouting or spanking but cild should know that you are the parent. There are so many other forms of restrains you canuse like time out,giving up favoritew show, or allowance. and stick to punishment after declaring it do not give in to pleas.
Those form of discpline are also good. Not get me wrong I do not spank my children over every little thing. It takes a lot for me to spank but if it comes down to it I will.