Could Earth Be Hit, Like Jupiter Just Was?

@ersmommy1 (12596)
Most of us don't have the resources to even attempt to survive something like this. I was reading this interesting article. http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090728/sc_space/couldearthbehitlikejupiterjustwas What would you do or where would you go?
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
Well if something like that hit we wouldn't have much options on where to go because it would probably knock us out of orbit and do alot of damage to the earth. But given the fact that we might be warned about it and where it might land I guess I would be trying to go somewhere it won't be able to harm me. And that place would probably be crowded since I am sure millions of people would have the same idea. It said we aren't hit but once every 500,000 years..but we can never be truly sure with the way things are going now days with ozone being depleted and how things are..might be sooner then they think then later.
@elmiko (6637)
an asteroid impact could happen like this anytime as they don't have enough people watching out for this stuff to warn ahead of time. at the same time though jupiter is much largeer than earth and would get more asteroid hits. a small asteroid did collide with earth in the early 1900s somewhere over in russia in the woods somewhere. it didn't hit any people though but people heard it and it basicly sounded like a bomb going off. most of an asteroid once it gets into the earths atmosphere just burns up before it hits the earth.
@laurahen (596)
That's is really scary! I had no idea that jupiter had been hit by a small object. If that happened to earth i highly doubt that anyone would survive. The dinosaurs were mostly like all killed off by astoroid hitting the earth. Even if you didn't live in the area that was hit you would probably sit be hit. The impact would cause tons of dust to build up and go into the atmosphere. There would be no sunlight that helps planet grow and gives us food. It would be the end of the earth as humans know it.
I wouldn't worry about that. Jupiter has a stronger gravity pull as well as the Sun. We could get hit, but not as what we were expecting.
@jessi0887 (2794)
I just read that too. I think its an interesting article but look at the chances of it happening. I wouldn't worry about it and if it happens oh well. We really can't stop it.
@xfahctor (14126)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
If the object is big enough,m there will be no survival. An object thew size of the one that smacked jupiter may not nessesarily wipe the planet out, but it would render civilization to sparse numbers over the long term. We have had a few recent hits, like the one in Siberia in 1912 (or was it 1908?). The object didn't actualy hit, it was thought to have exploded a few kilomters over the gournd, yet it devestated thousands of miles of forest. Had this happened hours earlier or later, it would have possible done this over a european city and the loss of life would have been incredible. And this was an object that was thought to be only about 40 meters across.