My son is a great singer, guitar player

By Liz
He and some friends made a Christmas cd and I tell u it was amazing, he's very shy about singing infront of people. Every chance he gets he's in his room playing or learning new songs. I'm so proud of him and amazed at his beautiful voice, the Christmas cd was the first time I'd ever heard him sing, he has a solo and it seriously blew me away! He's just so shy mostly infront of us his family. I ask him not often to play and he does but won't sing any ideas on how to get him passed this? He's 19
@ulalume (714)
A modern day idea would be to have him put some of his music on a site like youtube. I do it myself, and generally the feedback on my instrument playing/vocals has been good. When it is just family saying "you sing well", a person can't really be sure. But, when you're judged by the open public from all over the world; then you can be!
They're on utube one of the other guys put it on it's called Friendly Beast Records his solo is Hallelujah, there's alot of guitar playing before he sings but I'd love some feed back on what u think. The rest of the songs are him and his band thanks so much guys!
@ulalume (714)
I have heard that song before. They covered it really well. You're right, he does have a nice voice. The song recording quality actually sounds pretty professional as well. I think if they performed live they would be pretty well accepted by a crowd.
@syankee525 (6293)
well tell him, if he sings that good he got a specail gift and he should use it, but i'm a songwriter and my first time on the stage i was so scared. but he dont have to be singer, he could learn how to write song and be a songwriter that's where the money is. or he can be a demo singer for demo company
@themdno (402)
If you can, get somebody besides family to encourage him. I play guitar and my parents encourage me, which I love, but I'm always afraid to believe it when they say I'm good. It seems like my mom & dad will blindly encourage me. Get someone outside the family, that he likes/trusts, to encourage him. Don't get me wrong, I love that my parents are supportive, but you can't always trust their judgment on artistic things, you know?
Its ok if he is shy. Try slowly build up his confidence by starting to let him perform infront of a samll audience. Maybe starting by having you and his good friends as the audience.Slowly increase the numbers so that he can adapt to it. Best of luck :)