A crystal on a window ledge

@maximax8 (30126)
United Kingdom
August 4, 2009 6:10am CST
I read an article in my local paper about a lady that had a crystal sphere on her window ledge. The sun made the crystal very hot and it made fire which hit a television set. It burnt much of her room and luckily nobody got hurt. Her husband put the fire out as soon as he came across it. I have a collection of crystals and I keep them on a book case. I am glad that I don't have any on my window ledge. Where do you keep your crystals? Are you surprised about what happened to that lady?
4 responses
@busky5 (3165)
• Thailand
4 Aug 09
I don't like to collect crystals but i like to see crystal when i went to the mall or crystals shops.I was surprise in this story but i think it can be happened really.
@maximax8 (30126)
• United Kingdom
4 Aug 09
Yes, crystals can look so pretty in the shopping centers. It must have been such a surprise for the lady and her husband. I am sure she will think more carefully about where to place her crystals.
• United States
24 Aug 09
I suppose if the sun is on it long enough & it's the right cut the light & heat could refract and do some damage eventually. My crystals are put away, the few I do have. My kids sassy and don't leave things alone so I don't have anything I like out on display.
@whyaskq (7531)
• Singapore
10 Aug 09
This is news to me. It did not occur to me that crystals can absorb heat and cause a fire. Perhaps it is wise not to put anything near the window where there is direct sunlight.
@arkaf61 (10881)
• Canada
6 Aug 09
Then it's good I don't have a collection of crystals LOL I am not really surprised, as a kid many of us played with even a piece of broken glass letting the sun rays pass through it and getting a fire going on a small piece of paper or dry straw. I remember doing that.Also remember seeing it as an experiment at school. As long as the light is condensed in one single focus it will really heat things up and the risk of fire is there. I have never heard of it happening in a house but it's something to consider. Better safe than sorry.