US richest country in the world cheats on its debts

@urbandekay (18308)
US owes 2.8million in congestion charges, for the actions of its diplomats and ambassadors in UK How typical is this sleazy behaviour of the US bully boys? Time to grow up US and play fair and not use your power to cheat other countries. all the best urban
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Yes, the diplomats should pay up if they owe, not disputing that. And while we're at it, new york city should start collecting fines owed by diplomats. And since we're going that route, diplomatic immunity should be removed and any diplomat who has committed a crime with in the statute of limitation's time period should be arrested the moment they step foot on the state's soil and prosecuted for it.
@Taskr36 (13923)
I'd be more than happy to see diplomatic immunity and in this country. The only problem is that if we ended it here, than we'd have to take all our female government employees out of middle eastern countries where they'd be beaten for travelling without a male family member.
@urbandekay (18308)
This is NOT about diplomatic immunity, please read more carefully you two. Whilst diplomats are immune, usually, from fines and taxes they are NOT immune from charges. This is about America defaulting on money it owes all the best urban
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
"This is about America defaulting on money it owes" yes, got it, covered in the first sentence of my response.
@sblossom (2169)
In fact I don’t think the US has cheated any country in this case. I think many countries already realised it but they still continue to keep US dollar as their main foreign currency. It gave America the chance to borrow more and print more dollars. The sad side of the world is no another country can be a efficient competitor with America. The country is still a super sole power in the world.
@urbandekay (18308)
What utter nonsense, did you read the post? This is money owed by diplomats for using their cars in the area of London for which a charge is made. US economy is high largely due to the restrictive trade practices they operate. A unified Europe would be in a stronger bargaining position preventing US from playing one European state against another to impose unfair trading conditions. This would lead to a great weakening of the US economy to the benefit of European economies. Another example of US bully boy tactics all the best urban
@sblossom (2169)
I misred the meaning of your post. when i read the first impression was talking about the money borrowed by american government. Sorry for that. best regards to you.
@Taskr36 (13923)
I know America bashing is just the latest rage these days, but this isn't about the US, it's about diplomats. Diplomats from EVERY country do this in EVERY country. Do you know how many unpaid parking tickets diplomats from various countries have racked up in the US? Do you know how many rental cars and embassy vehicles get impounded in the US because of foreign dignitaries who are just too good to put change in the meter or pay tickets once they recieve them. On a side note, I can't help but notice that you make this accusation without a source. Here's a quick one, although not a great one. http://blog.taragana.com/n/uk-foreign-office-says-diplomats-from-other-countries-owe-millions-in-unpaid-fines-85921/ Notice that Kazhakstan, actually has more fines than any other country and they're not even too heavily populated. When I get the chance I'll give you a source showing how much other countries owe the US. Oh, and all these diplomats SHOULD be paying their fines, here and abroad. It's the diplomats, not the nations themselves, that are to blame.
@urbandekay (18308)
NO, no, no, please read the question more carefully. Whilst it is true diplomats normally are exempt and from taxes and fines they are not exempt from charges. Diplomats from UK and elsewhere pay charges in US for use of roads there but US diplomats refuse to pay similar charges here in UK all the best urban
@spalladino (17923)
In the U.S. we have toll roads where individual vehicles pay a charge upon entering the highway...every day of the week and at all hours. Your situation in the U.K. covers a specific area (central London) during business hours only. Our embassy considers this to be a tax, not a toll as I have quoted below. "U.S. Ambassador Robert Tuttle claims the toll is a “tax” and argues that, since diplomats are exempted from paying local taxes, the U.S. embassy staff shouldn’t have to pay these fees." http://www.commuteroutrage.com/2008/06/26/embarrassing-us-embassy-refuses-to-pay-london-congestion-pricing-fees/ Do you know what nit picking is? Your diplomatic staff AND their families get so many perks here in the U.S. and you folks want to complain about this? Perhaps the city of New York should start charging a fee to everyone who attends meetings at the U.N. that require police security presence.
@urbandekay (18308)
The argument that this is a tax holds no water, it is clearly a charge and equivalent to the toll you charge. To argue it is a tax is merely dishonest dissemblance. all the best urban
@N4life (851)
The U.S. may use bully tactics at times and have many unsrupulous diplomats (what country does not?) but the entire world rode America's coat tails economically for so years. This can be seen when we have a "collapse" and the rest of the world follows. If the rest of the world really wants to get away from U.S. influence they need to get rid of their own corrupt politicians and diplomats. This is a world problem not just an American one.
@urbandekay (18308)
"...but the entire world rode America's coat tails economically for so years." No, the US prospered from the rest of the world for decades all the best urban
@N4life (851)
I agree that the U.S. made money off the rest of the world, however when the U.S. creates unsustainable bubbles like the housing market, tech boom, credit crisis, hedge funds, etc. that serve to only make a few people very rich and artificially hold up the rest of the economy it seems there are more than a few powerful and wealthy people around the world standing in line to take advantage. Nothing has ever been easy for most average American workers.
@spalladino (17923)
"No, the US prospered from the rest of the world for decades." Can't agree with that one, Urban. If the U.S. didn't import as much as it has been importing from other countries, those countries would not have prospered for decades. The same holds for foreign oil. This has been pretty clear of late. As our spending habits have changed in response to the economic situation in the U.S., other countries have felt the pinch.
@spalladino (17923)
"How typical is this sleazy behaviour of the US bully boys?" I don't know, Urban, how typical is it? Got any more examples of the US bully boys? BTW, did you know that many diplomats, ambassadors AND their personnel can purchase vehicles in the U.S. without paying any taxes on the purchase? Others pay only the equivalent of what our diplomatic corps pay in their country so, yeah, we don't know how to play fair.
@urbandekay (18308)
No, no, no, you have to compare like with like. Diplomats are normally immune from taxes but not charges. UK diplomats driving on US roads where charges are due, pay them. US regards itself as an exception to the rule refusing to pay charges, though still charging them to foreign diplomats. Other examples of US bully boy tactics are available I quote one above. all the best urban
@spalladino (17923)
"Other examples of US bully boy tactics are available I quote one above." Please indulge me and post some down here. The only things I see above are related to this charge/tax. If we're such bullies I'm sure you can list a few examples for me.
@Taskr36 (13923)
Urban, those road charges are still taxes and diplomats who refuse to pay them here in the US get away with it. The IRS can call my income taxes income "charges" but they are what they are. In New York City Bloomberg got so sick of it that he started impounding diplomats cars saying the diplomats may have immunity but their cars don't. FYI, that was not an exact quote, but more the gist of what he said.
@irishidid (8718)
If the US owes the money they need to pay it.
@urbandekay (18308)
Yes indeed but they simply refuse all the best urban
@us2owls (1681)
Yes urban they need to pay it but would that just be more money for the sleazy MPs to take for living expenses many of which are false.
@gewcew23 (8011)
Do you have anything better to write about? You call the US bullies over not paying 2.8 million dollars? Look at all the money the the US gives in foreign aid, and you want to complain about 2.8 million dollars. Well if that is the worst you can whine about then everything must be okay then. When foreign diplomats start paying their unpaid NYC fines we will pay ours!
@urbandekay (18308)
US gives no aid to UK and all diplomats are normally exempt from fines but I am talking about charges not fines. Please read more carefully all the best urban
Hi, Urban! I agree about not cheating on debts. Individuals can't do that. A nation certainly should not! What are congestion charges?
@urbandekay (18308)
Drivers in UK are charged for driving on the busy roads of London, US is refusing to pay the money it owes for the diplomatic and ambassodorial cars using these roads all the best urban