Can someone who strangles and electrocute dogs be rehabilitated?

@dloveli (4369)
Football player Michael Vix is now a spokesperson for the MSPCA. He is now resuming his life. I am a dog lover from beginning to end. They are treated just like people in my house. I do understand that not everyone feels the same about every thing, such as the way they view animals. It bothers me that a dog can be trained to sniff out dead bodies, help the blind and deaf, as well as protect us on a daily basis and yet they are still viewed as dumb animals that can fight to the death. This is the very reason that pitbulls are viewed as they are. THe people that own them dont take care and train them as they should. If you have the gene to kill or protect such as pitbulls do. You need to retrain them and focus on their other capabilities. You have people like Vix who get caught for doing this and is sentenced to 18 months. If that was a person or a child it would have been life. I understand to some its just a dog but who speaks for them. And now because he is a celebrity who served some time in jail, he is a spokesperson against animal cruelty. Of course he is going to say he isnt like that anymore. Wouldnt you? Is he really rehabilitated? Im sorry but I dont think that 18 months is long enough to really get to the heart of the matter. Why did he do this in the first place? Was it something he suffered? I dont think he has even begun to be rehabilitated. What do you think? dl
@worldwise1 (14887)
There is such a thing as paying ones debt to society, dloveli, and in the case of Mr. Vick he has served the time that was appointed for him to serve, and is further paying that debt by speaking out against animal cruelty. I don't believe there is anything more for him to do. I am aware that animal lovers judge him very harshly(deservedly), but he is so much in the spotlight simply because he is who he is. I have seen cases for many years where people convicted of fighting dogs got off with less time. I believe that in our zeal to deal out punishment for any crime we sometimes judge too harshly when the accused is a public figure. Michale Vick has apologized profusely for his crime, and I believe that he is sincere. Everyone deserves a second chance to make up for the wrongs they have done.
If you believe he is sincere in his apologies then you are not a very good judge of character. He has already shown what kind of character he has and his apologies are only to appease his fans and get reinstated.
@worldwise1 (14887)
You are right. I cannot know his character since I don't know him personally - just as you can't. However, I do know that it is possible for anyone to make a positive change in their life because I have done so myself.
Hi dloveli, I so totally agree with your post. I was appalled when I first read that he was even released so soon after serving such a short sentence for committing such horrific crimes, yet even more sickened to learn that he was even allowed to return to playing "professional" pro football. The fact that he is also a spokesperson for ANY animal help agency makes this issue much more disgusting!!! And then some. Can anyone say hypocrite? Sheesh... Yeah, okay, he served his time in jail "technically", but what the hey... He did do horrible crimes!! He caused and allowed inhumane acts to be committed against helpless and defenseless animals/dogs and a showed a total lack of consideration for those and all of God's creatures. Plus he did it for the money. It was even a business of his. Like he wasn't making enough from football? And while sadly enough, some people do consider dog fighting a sport, I do believe it IS illegal most places at that and the main reason he got busted for it in the first place. However, pro football is a sport and a legalized one at that, though at times I do seem to question many of their practices. This one about him in particular! One further comment, dloveli... and I hope you are at least able to view these responses tho' for whatever reasons you have not been able to reply... Not only do I not think he has even begun to be rehabilitated, but for the life of me... I can't even begin to see any way in hail, that anyone who ever did such a thing could ever be capable of rehabilitation. Take care, firefox333
@savypat (20245)
Hubby and I have been discussing this case. I am afraid we both feel that he has been coached by someone to improve his PR image. I pray that he has somehow seen the light about gaining respect for all life, but sincerely doubt it.
@anniefannie (1737)
i think it is awful they let him off with so little time of couse he has do the mspca he is trying to look good and impress people.no i don't think he is rehabilited.they are going to let him play ball too.
@Fortunata (1136)
Vicks should not be allowed to play football, or any other professional sport, because of what he did. I hope the team he joined loses all their games. I hope he brings them bad luck. Anyone who harms animals is the lowest of the low,as far as I'm concerned. You darn right he will say or do anything to make it look like he cares about animals-it's probably in his contract with this team. Have to make everything look nice and tidy and clean, don't you know. All professional sports cares about is making money, period. I'm sick and tired of celebrities getting away with this crap.
hi dloveli I cant imagine that a person who was that cruel and remorseless and did what he did could be changed that much in such a short time. usually evil will surface again and again in an evil person I sure would not want this Michael Vix around my dogs if I had any. I would never trust this person again no way. whatever made him grow up that evil would take just as long to undo. no he cannot be rehabilitated at least not in that short a period of time.
@Lakota12 (42681)
Need to put in more time in the clinker! Thats JAil if you dont know the term!
I am not sure if he is rehabilitated, but I do think he deserves a second chance. This was actually a little bizarre of a case, in that normally a celebrity gets off with less. Here, though, he got 18 months of jailtime, which is much more than what is normal for such offenses. Most who commit things like this get off with a fine, or maybe 6-months to a year, or just community service.