You really can't go home again

@dawnald (84076)
Shingle Springs, California
I spent a year in Heidelberg, Germany studying German. We used to joke that it was Disneyland because there were so many tourists. There was this really cool store with hand made German crafts, nutcrackers, smokers (incense burners), windmills, etc. The castle over looking the river, the old bridge, the whole old town was really pretty, and I lived right in the middle of it. I went back in 2002 and a couple of things had changed. You couldn't walk into the castle courtyard without paying a fee. Some of the windows in the Heilgengeistkirche had been replaced with these horrible modern stained glass things (apologies to the artist, but YECH). The restaurant underneath the room I stayed in was no longer a mom and pop place, but a pizza joint. And Disneyland? The entire main street was full of touristy, kitschy junk. Even the nice little craft store was full of it, and you had to go upstairs to see the nice stuff. Everything changes and sometimes you really can't go home again! Ever go back some place you had been and hardly even recognize it? Were the changes for the better or worse?
@Margajoe (4718)
Yes lots of times. When I went back to Canada, I did not recognize Stouffville anymore. My house seemed so much more smaller than in the old days. They had taken away the old house and barn. In Amsterdam it was the same. First it was very clean and nice. In the years after you can no longer find a nice Dutch restaurant or French fries. Everything is Multi culti. No more Dutch people there. As for Almere, close to Amsterdam, I got lost we I came back after 10 years. It had gotten so big!! I don't know where home is anymore. Right know I am living in Berlin. It is like the Amsterdam I used to know. hahahaha! Almost anyway. hahaha!
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
Berlin? I was there in 2002 also. Nice city mostly. Could you go hit a Konditorei and have a nice Stueck Kuchen for me?
@Margajoe (4718)
Cheese Cake right? Or do you prefer another kind? Why did you want to learn how to speak German? I still cannot speak it well. I understand it and can read it, but speaking is more difficult. I keep putting Dutch words in between. Dutch and German sound so almost the same to me.
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
Dutch to me sounds like an American trying to speak German. I guess I decided to learn it because I have a lot of German ancestry. Anyway, Kaesekuchen sounds pretty good to me!
Hi dawnald, That is really so sad that they don't keep the same anway you go, too many modern things all catered for young people and no more history. I remember going on holiday many years ago to The Greek Island and it so beautiful and peaceful, we made friends with so mnany bar owners and hotel owners there and really had a fun time, we walk round the street and sit down and have cool drink and meal, at night it was the same lovely, then years later we back ther, we couldn't reconize the streets, everywhere was night clubs bars and noise, youngsters on holiday getting drunk it was awful, but we did manage to see our old friends there and thy told it it was horrible, it is very sad places change. Tamara
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yep, it is....
i can understand how you must be feeling after finding that things were not the same since you left the place. i am not sure if it was for the better, i think al of us are failing in conserving the beauty of our lands in the quest for modernisation,etc .
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
things change and sometimes for the better, but this mostly wasn't!
@jb78000 (15163)
isn't there a saying that you should never go back to a place where you've been happy? not sure i agree with it but places are never how you remember them
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
True enough. I go back to the neighborhood where my first house was and can't believe how shabby it all looks!
well..when i moved back to my hometown almost all the stores had changed,but that's par for the course anyway.most stores here have a shelf life of 2 years max unless they're lucky.by and large structurewise it hadn't changed that much though.
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
How long had you been away?
um.. about 7 years,pretty close to. dad got the cancer,so i came back for him.and i'm still here.
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
Oh, what kind of cancer? I hope something treatable...
@cynthiann (18613)
• Jamaica
I went home a few years ago and returned to my childhood home and places that I used to go to with my big sisters as a child. My school etc. I had one of my sons with me. When we went to my first childhood home whilst he was saying "wow, you lived in a place this big?" I was remembering all the bad stuff and literally nearly fainted. Yes it was a huge three storey house with also a large semi basement that had three rooms plus kitchen and bathroom. I could remember the bombed out buildings around us and the horrors that happened to me inside of the house. Even the parks and the beach where we lived during the holidays (HOUSE WAS BESIDE BEACH) BROUGHT BACK MEMORIES THAT WERE NOT HAPPY. Did not mean to go into caps. Visiting the school wasn't any better as all I could see was this shy terrified little girl so all in all it wasn't a good trip. However, I did not tell my son any of this as I laid ghosts to rest and some things are not to go onto the next generation especially as mu mother was still alive then. Now, I would never go back. shudder, shudder!
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
It's got to be different when the memories aren't good. but I hope at least the trip was good for your son!
@cynthiann (18613)
• Jamaica
Yes, because he got to see where I had spent my childhood etc and seeing this seemed to bring us even closer together.
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
Well good, I'm glad it wasn't a total waste!
@sanuanu (11235)
There is a saying that you can't go back to the time you had spent in your life. We just don't want to belive in it but it is true, isn't it? I have been to New delhi 2 years ago and I was working in the same company and I hve joined the same one again ut the things have been changed a lot thse days and I don't think I am liking it but we can't change it. We have to get accustomed to it.
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
heck I haven't left my company and it's changing and I"m not sure I"m liking it... That's just life!
@sanuanu (11235)
I just thought tht I will enjoy the same company of people around me but many of them left it already, all new guys are here now!
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
That makes it harder when the people aren't the same... but you will get to know the new ones if you give it time (and assuming they're not idiots lol)...
@mysdianait (65079)
My home toen in UK has changed in the thirty years since I left. It has become a ghost town with all the shopping centres on the outskirts and nothing but charity shops and fish and chip shops (run by non-Englsih people) left in the centre. It used to be a bustling market town. Now there are less thana dozen stalls on marketday and all I see are elderly people in the town centre. Those with a car can get to the shopping centres but they are too far out of town for the elderly who no longer drive a car So sad and not at all how I remember it
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
sounds like an ideal spot for a redevelopment plan...
@mysdianait (65079)
It is a port and indeed some investors have got together and are trying to make the dock area into a tourist attraction. The town centre though has Georgian buildings which are being left to rot and no-one sofar has any intentions of doing anything with them.
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
That is sad. I bet it could be turned into something really nice...
@leenie50 (3992)
Hey Dawn, I have to agree. I was born and raised in Orlando Fl. In 1970 I got married and moved right out to Fresno, California. After a 15 year marriage and an adoption of my Son, I remarried 3 years later. Then my second husband became ill and as he became incapable to get around on his own, I decided to move him back to Orlando where all 9 with the exception of one brother still lived. Also his only Sister lived here. I needed moral and physical help. Back to the question, can you really go home again? I'll say yes and no. Like you said, everything changed. Disneyworld was built and the City grew in leaps and bounds. I didn't recognize anything except my parents home and my twins. Without much help to get around, I got lost every time we went out. But the real changes are with the people. After being in California for 30 years, the changes in me and my siblings was interesting. Some changes were good and some not so good. So many judgements from my family. Besides I miss my Son(who is 29). He would be so much more willing to help me when I needed him. Maybe that is where I belong. Hugsss leenie
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
Fresno is too dadgum hot in the summer, but it is near some nice places (Yosemite, King's Canyon, Sequoia). But I guess it's really the people, not so much the place. I miss LA even though I don't miss LA and it's mostly because of the people I left behind. Don't spose your son is interested in moving to Orlando?
@leenie50 (3992)
My Son is staying in one of his Dad's houses. His Dad kind of takes care of him because he has Bipolar Disorder. If I go out there we'd have each other and I might get back to the Coast, Morro Bay Or Los Osos, maybe even Cayukas or Cambria. I love the Central Coast. I lived in Los osos and worked in Morro Bay and Los Osos. It's absolutely Paradise. leenie
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
Bi-polar can be pretty scary if you don't get the meds right. but yep, the CA coast is just beyootiful!
@MsTickle (25051)
When we were little kids and the opportunity presented itself Mum and Dad would always drive past places they had lived. It was a bit boring and a bit interesting. I followed the tradition with my own kids and was usually shocked by the changes. I really don't like seeing the way some things have changed...it's never been a good thing for me.
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
We do that too, or did when we were still down in LA...
@zed_k4 (17624)
That's so right, the other day, I went back to the area where I spent my childhood days and it's just not the same anymore. It's been a long while since I've been there and the marketplace are just not buzzing with market joy anymore, the hawker stalls food are no longer delicious and my hunting playground had been replaced with a strange looking mini park. I wanted so much to reminisce and cherish back those moments, but I couldn't, what with all these changes..Guten Tag is all I know. Anyway, it's been awhile since I've seen Sparks in the lot..
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yeah I was wondering about Sparks too...
hi dawnald a couple of year after we had sold our house 'in Westminister california I went bAck just curious to' see our old house. then I wanted to bawl,to cry. where the 'big trees around our house had been was all part of a boxy looking apartment building,the flowers were gone, ' the fruit trees gone a swimming pool took their place, ' the tree ferns, the azAleas, the herb bed all gone'and ugly ApArtments stoodin their plAce.our house was turned into'A managers ugly office and a washroom.they didnt eave tryto mAke the apartment complex look pretty. it was plain gosh awful ugly
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
Westminster, no kidding! But that is sad...
@selina0625 (1383)
Yes most of the time it feels that way. I guess there really us no constant thing in this world but "Change". Every vacation I went home to my grandparents for a month or two depending on how long my summer break from classes was.And everytime I went home things change around the place. Houses are being added everytime I went back and the places where I use to play are being turned into roads or has a house built into it. I just miss the open space that I use to see before. Well that's progress I guess.
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
I remember growing up in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) and every time my parents would drive us somewhere we'd see more development. Used to be a lot of vacant land, but no more!
I have "gone home again" several times in my life but it never does really feel like home any more once you have been gone...like an old friend you lose touch with for years and then when you meet again you dont really have anything in common any more...
@dawnald (84076)
• Shingle Springs, California
except your memories...