Did the Bush administration break the law?

It was reported Yesterdady in the New York Times that the Bush administration hired Blackwater Worldwide to assasinate member of Al Qaeda. Blackwater has had many dealings with the CIA including classified contracts, and training security forces. Now Blackwater has hired many former CIA officals including the former head of counterterrorism. The issue with this is two fold. First, this program cost the American people alot of money, and we have no idea what it has accomplished (that is classified). The second is, Blackwater employees are setting up shop in Pakistan, loading drones for attacks that are then carried out remotely by the CIA. So we have private contractors working in Pakistan assasinating people, which is against the law in the United States. What do you think about this?
@ParaTed2k (22981)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
This is the type of situation that absolutely needs to be investigated, and let the political and legal chips fall where they may. There are laws that allow those in "black ops" to do things that everyone else isn't allowed to do. They are justifiable and are supposed to be closely monitored by the Dept. of Defense, the appropriate committees in the House and Senate as well as the US Supreme Court. But if those laws are broken, then the people responsible should be brought to justice.
I agree Ted, these need to be investigated, and from what we have been told, congress had no idea about this. Now that could be wrong, but that is what we have been told. I am more worried about the fact that we are "outsourcing" our dirty work, and getting around the wishes of other countries. We have lost credibility when we tell a country we won't send troops into a country, but we just hire mercenaries to do it for us.
@ParaTed2k (22981)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I agree. But Congress has responsibilities in this too. We should never allow them to point fingers for things that are their job.
@ParaTed2k (22981)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I am saying that the members of the appropriate committees were briefed on these situations. They have a responsibility in the checks and balances system. Any investigation into the actions of the government agencies has to include the members of those committees. If not, then they are nothing but partisan witch hunts. Of course being investigated doesn't equal guilt. All responsible parties should only be held accountable for their part in it.
@tdemex (3545)
Well according to our recent Vice prez they were the law so how could they break it? I'm sure if the ties between the recent admin. and Blackwater were investigated there would be some hidden non surprises ( think Vice prez.) there? But this is only my gut feeling, and I'm sure I'm not alone! tdemex
From what has been released, there is a lot of explaining need here by the CIA, and the former administration as to why they were given this contract. Even high members at the CIA questioned this, I wonder how much money Blackwater, and the members of Blackwater donated to Bush/Cheney (I am 1000% sure that this would have no effect on ANY contracts in the ethical Bush administration, LOL). I hope that this is investigated, and we ACTUALLY hear the results of that investigation.
@tdemex (3545)
Obama is trying to play Mr. Nice and stifle these payback politics! As for me he ought to nail their A**es to the wall! The other side certainly would as they have shown in the past. Plus the way he's being treated now is totally disgusting! I think the haters need a healthy dose of their own medicine! tdemex
I couldn't agree with you more Td, I wish that all elected Democrates should have to watch a highlight reel from the Clinton impeachment, and then ask them if they want to play nice with these republicans.
@sunny68 (1327)
modern politics is more like the law of the jungle. if you have power you rule, if you don't have power be damned. you can never judge who is wright and who is wrong. i guess the job of CIA is to get work done no matter how, and they are doing it. if anyone will be prosecuted it will be individuals but CIA will remain intact.
Sunny, the problem is that the people that go to jail are not the ones that actually approved of it. These are usually people who are just following orders, and have no power to question what they are doing. The CIA is NOT above the law, that has been proven many times.
@sunny68 (1327)
what i meant that if people like you and me know that CIA is breaking the law, then the CIA itself is very well aware of the fact and its consequences. they are prepared for it. they sacrifice individuals (even their own) for the 'greater cause' and CIA also does not need to bother about its reputation. on the face of it it may seem that CIA has been prosecuted - but then truth can be stranger than fiction.
@Carson11 (332)
Nancy Pelosi said the CIA lied to her about torture even though this has been disputed repeatedly. Let's get her to testify under oath about what she was told. Let's get to the bottom of this issue. She is a liar and is trying to destroy the brave men and women who risk their lives protecting this country. What the hell is wrong with her!!! She's a traitor and needs to be questioned and if she is caught lying about these patriots, she needs to be locked up.
@Carson11 (332)
thegreatdebater, I am against killing any terrorist. It is wrong to kill. I think we should leave them alone and I think if we talk to them we can convince them that we can be friends.LOL.
Carson, hello my little stalker. If you illegally kill someone does it make it better that they are bad people?
Stalker, If the US just ignored our constitution, and our laws then we would be just as bad as the terrorist. Do you think it is ok to ignor our constitution to defend our country? I can't wait to hear this one. The reason I don't talk about those people is because they knew what was going on, and they could have sold when they had a chance, but they took a RISK. Every investment that you make has a RISK, without RISK there is little reward. You should know this oh great business owner. These people were greedy, and they lost money, everyone saw this coming, you had two choices: Sell now, and lose alittle, or sell later and lose more. It isn't like these bonds couldn't be sold, it wasn't like ENRON, they just made an economic decision, and they choose WRONG.