Save My Videos!!

So...my computer is really slow right now and I'm going to ask my brother to work on it and make it faster. And I have a feeling in order to do so he'll reboot the whole system, which would delete all my stuff! Now, I've been working on emailing all my pictures and writing to myself so it'll all be saved that way...but a lot of my home videos and stuff are too big to email to myself! And I don't know another way to save them, I defeniatly don't want to lose them all! Help please! Is there something else I can do???
@owlwings (40824)
• Cambridge, England
Does your computer have a CD writer or DVD writer? Buy a load of blank CDs (or DVDs) and save your data to them. You should do this regularly (depending on how much 'stuff' you create!) It's called 'backing up'. If you don't know how, then ask your brother to do it for you. He should respect your data if he really does need to reformat and reinstall everything and, even if he's only going to repair/reinstall Windows, you really need to back up your data before he does it in case anything goes wrong! There are various ways of backing up data. The following are the most useful for home use: 1) to CD/DVD. You need a CD/DVD writer for this. Some PCs have a CD/DVD drive but it only reads CD/DVDs. If yours is only a reader, then it may be worthwhile replacing it. They are not that expensive and installing it is just a matter of opening the case, removing the old one and plugging in the new one in the same space and with the same connections. You may have a spare slot and, very likely, a spare set of connectors, in which case you can install it as a second drive (making it possible to copy CDs or DVDs from one drive to the other). 2) to an external drive. These are just a hard disk enclosed in a portable case and with a connection that plugs into your USB port. You can buy various sizes from about 120GB up to 1TB or more (1 Terabyte is equal to 1024GB). A big advantage is that you can plug them into almost any computer and they behave just like another drive. The disadvantage is that they are a little bit slower than an internal drive but still absolutely fine for storing and using videos, photos and music, so you would probably find one invaluable. 3) A new (or second) internal hard drive is somewhat cheaper than an external hard drive. It depends whether your PC case has room for a second one. Installing a second hard drive is very easy, if there's space and the available connections. Changing your existing hard drive for a bigger one is not nearly as simple. There are several reasons why your PC may be slow: 1) Too many things loading at start-up. Many things load when you start the computer. Some of them are essential, some are desirable and a few are either not necessary or definitely undesirable. Choosing which is which requires knowledge of what you use and what you don't, an understanding of Windows and an extensive list of what everything does (and whether it's desirable or safe to disable it). 2) Lack of memory. This means the memory that your PC uses to store stuff that it's actually processing. It's usually of the order of 512kB, 1GB or maybe 2GB. This is NOT the same as your hard drive (which may be 100GB or more). Depending on which version of Windows you have, your system may have around 1GB of RAM. If you expect to run several applications (Browser, image editor, video editor and so on) at once, then you may need more RAM. Windows has a clever system where, if there is not enough RAM to do everything you ask, it will set aside part of the hard disk to store stuff. Because the hard disk is MUCH slower than the hardware memory, this may be workable but MUCH slower (and see the next point)! 3) Hard disk nearly full. If your hard disk is nearly full with programs and data (especially data), then Windows simply doesn't have enough space it can use for temporary storage. The less space it has, the more likely that processing anything which requires large amounts of memory is going to be 'terminal' ... the system may eventually give up and hang! To find out how full your hard disk is, go to Windows Explorer, My Computer (or just 'Computer' in Vista) and look at the Properties of Drive C:. If it is more than 75% full, you seriously need to MOVE some of your data to somewhere else (this is not just 'backing up' ... it is saving your data somewhere else - either on a CD/DVD or onto an external or new internal hard drive - and deleting it from your C: drive. I hope that explains in fairly clear language what's involved and what your brother will have to do to speed up your PC. I purposely didn't mention a number of other things that can slow down a PC (viruses, adware, spyware, diallers and the like) because they are partly covered by what loads at startup and are not usually the main reasons why a PC slows down.
@voldrox (7202)
hey! yeah man . . . how could i just forget about telling to burn them on DVD's ! good response!
I don't know if my computer has a CD/DVD burner lol. But I know there are tons of blank discs in this house (courtesy of my brother and dad lol). I'll have to try and figure it out, might be the easiest way for me to save my stuff (probably the only way I could do it without any help ) lol Thank you!
@owlwings (40824)
• Cambridge, England
Sounds like you are at the beginning of a learning curve! Don't worry: you are NEVER too old to learn and it's NOT as scary as you might think! I graduated from my Computer Studies course a couple of months before I was 50 ... and was made redundant from my first job in PC support a few days before my birthday. In the next 15 years I went through three jobs and ended up teaching IT to people between 18 and 80 who needed to get to grips with computers. I have known people tremble at the sight of a mouse (not the kind that runs up the leg of your pants, LOL) on their first day and who, four or six weeks later, had an official certificate that allowed them to get a job using computers! Look at it this way. These machines were invented and made by humans (not some kind of Super-Geek from another planet) and many kids of 11 or 12 know all there is to know about hardware and software. Shall we older people be beaten by kids? NO WAY! Take everything in logical steps ... this does this and that does that - now HOW and WHY do they do it (and do I really need to know?)? ... ahhh ... that bit wasn't hard to understand! What's the next question? Most brothers are incapable of explaining technical things properly to their sisters (or, possibly, to anyone). They need to be taught how to go slowly and patiently and to explain in plain English ... not words of one syllable, of course, but if they use jargon, then they have to understand that that isn't plain English! I know many people - both men and women - who are ace programmers and many more who do actually know the difference between RAM and hard disk space. The difference is that the women will often take a step back and explain something you don't understand; the men hardly ever will. It takes a good listener to be a good teacher and men rarely have that facility! There are many places online where you can find the inforamtion you need for free but it doesn't hurt to find some evening classes in your area. For certain, don't be intimidated because 'women don't understand these things' ... they can and they do (and probably much more effectively than men). I know ... I am a man and I have had female students who could have done my job better than me in four weeks flat! (In fact, one of them actually became my boss, though she did have an unfair advantage in that she had already owned three businesses - but I taught her to use a PC, LOL!)
@voldrox (7202)
Hi Lilyofthethorns hmm well it seems like you meant 'reformat' rather than 'reboot' . . . anyways i got it:) . . . well i know you saving a lot of things through email is not plausible . . . well i would recommend you to save all those stuffs into an external hard drive, see if any1 you know has an external hard drive, it connects via the usb port and you can transfer all of your stuff there, coz these days external hard drives are also getting bigger and bigger and can hold in a lot of things... so this is currently your best option, go get yourself an external hard drive 4m someone you know, it doesn't come very cheap but if you like you can also buy one, may come of use anytime later. . . . or one more option get your friend's laptop and transfer your stuffs using a pen drive... you will need to take turns but after a few trips i think all your stuffs will be there in your friend's laptop . . . . or one more option- if you have multiple partitions in your hard disk then transfer you stuffs from your C drive to some other drive, that way they will not be deleted... i just hope something works out for you, although the external hard drive is the most safest and convenient method i guess... all the best... have a nice day!
@voldrox (7202)
oh sorry for using terms like '4m' *meant from . . . just got used to sending txt messages a lot...
@millertime (1398)
You need an external hard drive to save all your pictures and video to. You can get them really cheap now and big enough to hold just about anything you have. Once you transfer all your stuff, you can wipe the system without losing it. Depending on how much you have, you might be able to use one or two pen drives. They are really cheap now too and very easy to use and come with quite large capacities. They plug right into a USB port and are super easy to use. Just drag and drop your files. [;-)
@MsTickle (25065)
You've probably already figured this out but you can put them in a Zip file. It's like shoving it all in a small bag, zipping it shut and sending it on or storing it. When it gets to where you want it to go, it just needs to be opened again. Too easy...I've actually used it myself when files are too large to email. Download WinZip. It's a freebie. Good luck kiddo.
@writersedge (22579)
Can you save them on those little thumbnail drives or whatever they're called? When on sale, they don't cost very much and you can reload them later.
@amitksing (1323)
Try online storage websites like adrive.com, box.net, xdrive.com etc. They give you 2-50GB of storage space and you can save even the largest of your files.
• Bahrain
instead of fritting and panicking about it all, you can just move all your stuff to a different drive than drive C: you know. When a computer is reformatted, that drive is the only thing that gets wiped out because it is the system drive but no need to go technical, in short anything and everything you put in a drive other than C: is secured and will never leave your side O.o so just relax and move them ^^
• Bangladesh
You can upload ur all video files in fileflyer.com or ziddu.com and save the download link.
@stealthy (8188)
You could either spend the money to get an external hard drive and put them on there or upload them to a free file storage site like deposite files which allows files up to 2 gigs; you can find a link for it on my profile on the bottom right.
@gtargirl (5385)
Maybe you can upload them on your Ipod, if you have one. We did that with our videos. Those things download full length movies so I'm pretty sure they can do the same for your vids.
You can easily plug your USB stick into your computer. And that's the way you save all your videos, without losing a bit of it. Or maybe you can buy one external harddisk to save all your datas together. I'm afraid you will lose some datas if you send those through e-mail, I experienc it frequently. I think owning your own harddisk will be the best way to solve this.
@rdadey (484)
Many good suggestions here, partitions are good and burning your data on DVD's and CD's. My favorite way of making backups is using an external hard drive. They are very cheap and you can plug it into any computer. And when you need the data on there it's easy to find.
@ElicBxn (61051)
rapidshare or sendspace? don't know how to use them, but do know you can upload stuff on them
@ShepherdSpy (8562)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Sounds like now is a good time to start backing up your videos! Do You have a CD or DVD writer drive on your computer so you could burn them onto disks? that would probably be your best option..alternatively,you could get yourself one of these quite inexpensive portable hard drives and keep them or store them there for now..good luck with the computer cleanup!