Do you wear sunscreen when tanning?

I have learned my lesson about wearing sunscreen while tanning. I will not go without it. One day I decided to go without it because I thought I would get a better tan. I got a rude awaking. Instead of getting a nice golden brown tan I got a scorching red sun burn. I should have wore sun screen. I felt like such an idot. I hurt really bad after that. It was not fun at all. I know next time to wear sunscreen.
You will still tan when you wear sunscreen. Sunscreen protects, but not 100% - even at the highest SPF. Please be careful with tanning - it can wreck your skin in the long run!! I used to be a tan fanatic in my younger days ... I used to go out with that coconut tanning lotion/oil and just bask in the sun to get a nice color. Luckily I had the skin for it, but some people have not been so lucky. I have friends who have highly damaged skin . . . and it got apparent when they got older (wrinkles in particular) even though they no longer tan. A couple even had signs of skin cancer. So please watch out! In any case, sunburn is no fun.