Have this ever happened to you while shopping in the grocery?

@laydee (12811)
My brother complained to us tonight stating that he bought toothbrush together with other stuff and when he came home it wasn't there. The shop was already closed so he can't go back there tonight. Have you gone through this experience before? What did you do? As for me, I never (knock on wood) experienced this before. I don't know, but perhaps I was just lucky. My other family members attested that they too experienced such, and going back the next day is futile (for most of them) because they cannot prove that the item was left since it was already punched in the tab and there's no way the bagger or the cashier would admit the fault or scheme.
@aejey322 (1004)
I also have experienced this before. It's just fortunate that the bagger and the cashier were honest enough. They just put aside the tray of egg in their counter and waited if somebody will claim it. And they gave it to me after showing them the receipt with their counter number on it.
@laydee (12811)
Oh, it's good that you were able to go there before they changed places (I notice that they shift places or counters after some time), and you're lucky too because they were honest enough to do that - I don't think most would be that patient and honest though. Thanks for the response, have a great mylot experience ahead!
@aejey322 (1004)
well, it made me realized just now that yes they are rotating counters. it's just maybe fortunate for me to find them in the same counter the day after.
@sacmom (14250)
I hate to admit it, but yes, it has. One day when I had gone grocery shopping I had forgotten a couple of items that I had already paid for. As I had used the self checkout I had forgotten to put these things back in the basket when I was finished. I have no one to blame for it but myself. I have since tried to learn from it and make sure I double check before leaving the check stand. Happy mylotting!
@laydee (12811)
It does teach us a lesson, doesn't it? From that time when he told me the story, I was so paranoid that I would usually tell the cashier to not start punching the costs before I am finished unloading my purchases so that I could see the bagger really "bag" the items. hehehe.. I still do it now. Thanks for the response, have a great mylot experience ahead!
this has actually happened to me. i bought shirt uniforms for my son as it was school opening the next week. when i arrived home, i noticed that i did not have the shirts with me and i could not go back that time to claim it. i went there as soon as the mall opened the following day. luckily for me, the shirts were there and they were kept by the cashier, waiting for the owner to claim it. i got the shirts back.
@laydee (12811)
It's good that you did get your shirts back, as for the toothbrush he never did. It wasn't much but he sure hoped that he didn't waste all the effort, money and time to buy something that he wouldn't enjoy. Tsk. Tsk. Have a great mylot experience ahead!
This has not yet happened to me but once or twice, the checkout lady scans the same thing twice or scans a 6 pack of soda when I had only 1 can. Since I have a long till slip, I cannot check it on the spot and do it only at home (in between other tasks). I go back the following day to point out the error and they give me a refund on the spot. This must've happened to other customers as well several times because they just accepted and acted on the complaint without a fuss. Thank goodness.
@laydee (12811)
Oh! That's another thing too! Though I'm fortunate enough not to have come across that one. But I guess it's really best to compute the total before going to the counter, which is why I always calculate the total (using my calculator! to be exact) while shopping or doing some groceries so that I wouldn't be out of budget. It proves great and at the same time saves me the unnecessary stress in the counter. Thanks for the response, have a great mylot experience ahead!
@jules67 (2790)
I believe that it happened to me as well. I was home already and checked the grocery items. I found out that one was missing. Luckily, the store was still open and I was able to get that item that I left behind. The only downside is that I had to spend again for the transportation.
@laydee (12811)
I guess the real downside there is indeed transportation cost for a single item left behind. But if it's a lot of items, I think you should go back, but if it's for one toothbrush, I guess it's worth to just leave it be. But if the store is just walking distance, then why not? Thanks for the response, have a great mylot experience ahead!
@robert19ph (4584)
hello laydee, wow! that was strange. in the first place, a customer will never complain if what he/she bought was/were complete. you need those items that's why you bought them only to find out that they are there. and when you complained, nothing happened... good thing, i've never experienced that and hopefully not.
@laydee (12811)
But there are some scammers who do that so that they would have the items twice. I have heard of some who would just pick up some receipt from other people (because your name wouldn't be typed there - unless you used a credit card) then present it to the store so that they can get the items for themselves. Now that will pose a problem to you if you're the cashier and you're not vigilant enough. Have a great mylot experience ahead! Thanks for the response.
@lelin1123 (15635)
• Puerto Rico
Ok this happen to me a year ago. I was quite frazzle when I was checking out and left a bag with two items in it. The next day I went back to the store with my receipt and explained what happened. They verified what happen because when things are left behind the clerk needs to write it down on paper. So sure enough they new I left my strawberries and milk behind. No problem and I was able to get a new container of strawberries and my gallon of milk.
@laydee (12811)
Wow! That's great customer service. But I think they do that here too, most especially if several items are left. But I wonder if it's only one item, if they're going to still serve you that way? I hope so. Thanks for the response, have a great mylot experience ahead!
I work at a grocery store, and unfortunately thi happens quite often, at least a couple of times a day with different customers. Many times it is a small item, that was sat to the side so it wouldn't get lost amongst all the bigger groceries, or a bag got sa to the side while we were waiting for the cart to be fully emptied so we could load the bags back up in after they were packed. I suppose it depends on lot on the area in which you live, and the stores at which you shop, but we have a pretty liberal policy with making it right for the customer if this happens. Firstly, if we actually notice that a bag or item was left behind, we have a notebook in which we log all the items, the time, and what register they were left at, so that when a customer comes back/calls, we have note of this happening. Unfortunately, sometimes the left behind bag gets sent home with the next customer in line. Now unfortunately, though most everyone is quick to complain if they get home and are MISSING something form the store, the likelihood that a person who goes home and realizes they have stuff that ISN'T theirs, will contact the store and let us know, or bring the items back is VERY low. but as i said, we have a very liberal return policy, an so long as it isn't the same person doing it all the time, if you come in with your reciept and point out the items that didn't make it home with you, we will replace them with out a hassle. I would tell your brother to call or stop by the store tomorrow, with his receipt, and let them know what happened. Hopefully they will make it right for him.
@laydee (12811)
Hi there, sorry for the super late reply. He never went back and thought that the effort was just too much for the toothbrush. Anyhow, it's good that your store has that type of a policy, however, in most of the stores where we do groceries, I don't think that they're as patient. Oftentimes, the next customer gets the things left behind because the bagger might think that it's theirs. But yeah, I don't have first-hand experience to these so I couldn't really attest that they're not going to do something to make it right. But I sure do hope that I wouldn't have to go through that fuss. Thanks for the response, have a great mylot experience ahead!
Yes, that does happen to me every now and then. Most often it's the smallest of items that gets overlooked to be stuffed in the bag by the clerk. Most of my shopping is during the day, so if something is missing when I get home, I call the store right away and talk to the manager. I just explain that an item I bought is not in my bag and that I do have a receipt to prove that I have indeed paid for the item (this is one reason you ALWAYS keep your receipt). I have never had a problem going back to a store and getting the item - even if it's from the shelf again . . . because most likely the item got bagged for the person behind you when you first shopped. Actually that has happened to us a lot if we go to a fast food place!! We always check our stuff before we leave now. Before, we'd go home and discover a food item was missing . . . it's a real pain to go back to get it while you're hungry (and the rest of the food is getting cold!). But when that happens, usually they give you something free on top of that - hee hee.
@laydee (12811)
Wow! It's great that you could just call the store manager like that, we couldn't do that here in my city. Perhaps you are referring to a smaller store? But yeah, I have returned stuff that are defective because it's written on the receipt that you could return within the week. But as for going back to claim unbagged items, I haven't really experienced it but a lot couldn't get the items when the bagger and the cashier would deny seeing anything that was left behind. Have a great mylot experience ahead!
@babyangie27 (5177)
Yes this has happened to me,once a long time ago. I didn't even bother to go back. Nowadays stores or so easy to think you are lieing to them anyhow so why bother? My friend did this just last night and said well I will just go back tomorrow. I told her good luck with that one. It is easy to get in a hurry and forget things,now I am in the routine of checking the cart and my bags before I ever leave the parking lot.
@laydee (12811)
True enough, most of them would think that you're just lying in order to get something "free" from them. Some people told me that they're actually doing that on purpose in order that they acquire the item for themselves (but I wouldn't generalize people though - there are still those rare people who are honest enough). Indeed it has taught me a less to check the number of items prior to leaving and before I allow the saleslady or cashier to punch the items out - so that I could see and count exactly the number of items I bought. Thanks for the response, have a great mylot experience ahead!
@junmae (1591)
My mother and some of my friends experienced that and Ive heard that staff also of that grocery store hid the things. I dont know if this was really happens but I think we should be careful on our things because we cant trust anybody.
@irefed (200)
None yet. I always check my bags or luggage before going out to a grocery.
@nijolechu (1845)
I have a weird OCD disorder. I always have to double check my stuff before I leave a grocery store or any other place. I guess I am afraid of losing stuff. If that ever happened to me, I think the store owner wouldn't believe me, even if I kept the receipt as proof.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
Yup, been there. I shop mainly at two groceries and the staff knows me well and knows that I will be in again. I've just had to tell them that something didn't make it home and have always been given a replacement.