Hurry up Mom!!!

@dawnald (84070)
Shingle Springs, California
I ran away from home again, but this time it was with Cary. We saw in the newspaper that the California Museum was doing an exhibit of motion picture costumes, including Darth Vader. Cary is very into Star Wars and he had also heard about the exhibit at school, so we just had to go. The girls didn't want any part of it. So after lunch we drove to downtown Sacramento. We went upstairs to the floor with the special exhibits. To get there we had to walk through an exhibit about famous women from California. In the sports section, there was Peggy Fleming's Olympic gold medal and Kristi Yamaguchi's skates. So I pointed them out to Cary. "Come ON Mom, hurry up." OK never mind the boring stuff. So we found the exhibit. From Star Trek, there was Captain Kirk's gold tunic from Mirror, Mirror, Captain Picard's uniform, Seven of Nine's uniform, a Klingon battle cruiser, the Gorn, and many other things. From Star Wars, there was Luke Skywalker's jumpsuit, Obi Wan Kenobi, a storm trooper helmet, Luke's severed hand (yuck) and, of course, Darth Vader. There were also costumes from Batman, Blade runner, the Terminator (with our very own Governator), Batman, and even the hat from the Wicked Witch of the West. Cary's favorite was, of course, Darth Vader. We also looked at some Native American baskets, sat in a bus from 1951, watched a short film about the California movie industry and did an etching of the Great Seal of California. This was followed by a visit to the gift shop and a second visit to say goodbye to Darth Vader. Then we walked up to the State Capitol, which was only half a block away. Then we came home and did thank you cards. :-)
@thea09 (18319)
• Greece
Hi Dawn, I took mine to an exhibit of Beatrice Potter, not quite the same but Star Wars wouldn't have any appeal for me. No stop for coffee afterwards?
@zed_k4 (17624)
Count me in for coffee! Ha..
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
I don't think Cary would have liked Beatrice Potter, but I would have. No coffee, none of my kids would be interested. We just came home and had a snack...
@zed_k4 (17624)
I'm not that big a fan of Star Wars, but I think I can do with it. Ha.... they sort of grow on people; especially the collections of Obi Wan and gang. Ha.... I think the exhibit sounds like fun. We do need some Star Wars in our lives once in awhile, alright..
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, Blade Runner, Terminator, Batman - lots of cool stuff.
@zed_k4 (17624)
I choose Spiderman..the neighborhood friendly spidey.
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
Not one Spiderman costume, no Superman either. I'll have to complain!!!
@ANTIQUELADY (36471)
U are a good mom & i bet cary loved the time w/just you & him besides getting to see the star war things. good for you for taking him.
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
He loved it right up until the time he got tired and wanted to go home!
@ANTIQUELADY (36471)
That's the way i act to, lol.
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
:-)
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Well hells bells Dawn if you're going to run away from home, do it with one of your kids, cause they sure have the best places to go in mind! LOL Sounds like a lovely day spent with Cary. What a great mom you are!
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
It was more like half an afternoon, that's about his whole attention span as far as museums go. But it was fun!
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Whole day, half a day..........matters not. The great thing is, you went with him and I'll bet he'll be smiling in his sleep for weeks!
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
and me too, I'm a geek!
Hi dawnald, .......But did YOU enjoy all that sic-fi stuff? and did Cary enjoyed it too, did he bring back and su-vees? me, I just went for a walk and collected some acorns, me thinks me a squrrel, also picked some beach nuts, hugged a oadk tree and came back to my computer. Fresh air is the best tonic ever. Tamara
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
I love that stuff. Cary enjoyed it too. Bought him a bookmark, that was it....
Hi Dawnald, Whoowhee!!!! thanks for giving me best response for this discussion, cheers, hugs. Tamara
@jillhill (37379)
What a wonderful outing! My sisters and I went to the Minnesota Historical museum not too long ago....it was fun! So very interesting! I had forgotten some of the more famous people that had come from our state so it was a good refresher course....good of you to take him mom!
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
good for me, good for him!!!
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi ya Dawny Aww it sounds like you guys had a great time! I wish we had something like that here my kids would have been made up to see such an expedition. My kids are into all sorts at the moment but mainly Star Wars and they drift in and out of Ben10!!
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
Cary likes Star Wars. The girls think it's lame. But that's fine, sometimes it's good doing things one on one with them!
@gabs8513 (48712)
Well it looks like you had a good time, but who where the Thank you Cards for??????
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
Thank you cards were for their birthday presents. They had a party three weeks ago and I really wanted to get them done LAST week!
@ElicBxn (61039)
That sounds like fun! Wish I had been there - but I guess you know what my Saturday was like - Sunday was recovering from Saturday
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
Your weekend sounded pretty exhausting!
And no mention of stopping for a coffee, or a chocolate, or a thick shake or anything - but you did get to the gift shop. Did Cary get a mini Darth Vader? I'm sure you had something afterwards, but the main thing is that you shared precious moments with your son.
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
He had a snack when we got home. As for the gift shop, he wanted a magnetic book mark with a California quarter on it and that's what he got!