My son is a 'fussy eater'

@maximax8 (30066)
United Kingdom
In my toddler son's report his playgroup describe him as a 'fussy eater'. He sits with a group of other toddlers and eats a bit. Yesterday his play worker came over to our house. She tried to make him eat mashed potato and a fruit desert. He cried and cried. I think I am going to say the playgroup can try to him get a better diet. I don't want him upset at home. Do you know any children that are fussy eaters?
@guybrush (4660)
It's appalling that this person came to YOUR home and interfered with YOUR son's eating! What right did she have to do that? I don't blame him for crying - if there's fuss made over food, it can cause all sorts of problems. No child will allow himself to starve - your lad will eat when he's hungry, and this person had no right whatsoever to come into your home and press the issue!
@Louc74 (620)
Too true, Guybrush! I had a friend whose daughter was eating so little it had her worried. She demanded an awful lot of cows milk, and would only eat tiny little pieces of potato crisps. The doc basically reassured her that her daughter would not allow herself to starve, and advised them to stop coaxing her as she was getting additional attention from this, which she liked. She was fine. She got a bit older, started asking for the things she saw others in her peer group eating. But if you make a huge fuss, the child will start to associate being upset with eating and food! Is this playworker qualified in child care? She could be doing damage if this is how she's handling kids. If a child is losing a lot of weight, I'd be worried, but otherwise I wouldn't make too much of a fuss, as it might just reinforce the problem.
I would have not let that person in my house to try to feed my child anything. Did she honestly think that you were not capable of feeding your own son? I have known tons of children who are picky about what they eat, they either get over it or their parents get over it. As long as you feed him from all of the food groups and he gets plenty of veggiesthen tell them to get out of your business.
My son was the same and he out grew the stage and now eats most foods or will at least try. I didn't rush him and took little steps, try not to make too much of a deal about it or it can scare them into eating anything. Also when you put new food on his plate put a little at a time, if he at least trys it then give him something that he will eat as well. My son joined scouts at an early age and that really helped also as they always try out new foods and sometimes seeing others eating something might help. Another tip is to do cooking with your son as this sometimes makes them more interested in giving what they made a little taste. Remember little steps work much better than rushing :)
Hello maximax, I think some kids really goes through this stage, wherein they would be a "fussy eater." Just don't pressure them, show them that you also enjoy eating the food you are serving him. My son also went through this stage, but just for a minimal time. Right now, he can eat almost anything. He can eat vegetables even green leafy veggies as long as I cut them to small pieces, because if I don't he won't be able to swallow it. There are still food that he don't like to eat, but I hope in time he will learn to it those food. Have fun posting!
@akotalagato (1335)
my son is a picky eater as well. he doesn't eat vegetable. he likes rice with soy sauce. i know there is not much nutrition in that but that is what he likes to eat. so i supplement his diet with milk and i also give him multivitamins. i have run out of ideas on how to make him eat better. he is now four years old.
@mommaj (22872)
Most children are "fussy eaters". What right does this woman have coming to your home? Why exactly was she there? I think I would change preschools. Their job is to take care of your son while he is with them. Not barge in on your personal life. Was this okay with you? Most children start trying new foods in school because they are there all day and get hungry. It shouldn't matter if your child doesn't like the food or won't eat it. Forcing children to eat like this woman did can cause more harm than good. You need to call the daycare to see if they know this woman did this and then call the state to report what she is doing to children. If you have concerns about your son's diet, ask a pediatrician. This woman is NUTS! I have two children. Neither really eat great. The older one started eating more fruits and veg. in school. Now she has brought the habit home. Our son is autistic so textures are a problem.
@bhanusb (5709)
I don't think children are fussy eater. They don't like every food. They have fascinations for some foods. No pressure should be created on children to eat particular food.They have to give food of their liking.
My second child, Claudia, was a fuzzy eater. She ate well in other homes and I had problems in mine. My aunts asked me what sort of rotten food I was given to her..When she was 9, I went for a trip with my husband and left them with my mom. When I got back, I told her ythat I promised that I wouldn´d make her eat anything she didn´t like. She started crying and told me I didn´t love her anymore.That´s when I discovered she had been manipulating me all her life. Couln´t it be that Leo is jealous of the baby? It does happen. Check that too, Maxine. Many times it is not a question of a diet but of a need of more attention. Hug!
@kykidd (6818)
My niece was always a fussy eater, and even though she is older now, she is still hard to get to eat anything out of the ordinary. I took her on a vacation across the country, and the only place that she would eat breakfast was McDonald's. She had to have their biscuits and gravy. And then when we got west of Texas, they didn't serve it at the McDonald's there. So, she ended up just eating Little Debbie snack cakes for breakfast. Once we got to Hollywood, I took her to a really nice restaurant and told her to order whatever she wanted on the menu. She ordered a nice dinner, ate about 1 or 2 bites, and that was it. She just didn't like it. We ended up back at McDonald's. And I was actually a little bit aggravated about it, but remembered I was probably just about as picky when I was younger, too. LOL I guess some of us are just that way.
My mom told me I gobbled up every food I was handed when I was a kid. I was in good shape back then. However, when my mom left to work in Morocco, Africa, there was no one who hands me food or pushes me to eat since dad is at work. I was a "fussy eater" then. Mom was surprised when she saw me so skinny. I gained a few pounds in high school when she returned. I started to love food again by then and pretty gobbled up everything in sight. However, when I entered the university, it was as if I was back to extra thinness. Stress. Good thing I am surviving though. However, I am not a fussy eater. I eat everything now! Ha ha. Persistence is effective when it comes to feeding, I believe. I was irritated with my mom when she was back and forced me to eat stuff. However, I learned the importance of food when I started sports. Try to acquaint your son with sports. He will eventually take the initiative to ask you for food. It will help him learn how much food is important. I am still a university student though so my advise is just a theory with a pinch of personal experience. Haha.
My child is also picky to food. In the past he didn't want to eat any vegetables. He didn't even want to try the chocolates and so on. Hard to believe, isn't it? I tried hard to let him eat a little vegetables. He changed a bit when he started to go to the kindergarten. As the teachers will teach them to eat more healthy foods even if they don't like eating them. I love China
@irishidid (8716)
My son lived on just about nothing when he was little. It had me so worried that I considered giving him those protein drinks for kids. What I found out later was that he didn't eat because he couldn't taste the food. His main staple was cinnamon toast as he could actually taste the cinnamon. Turned out to be his tonsils and adenoids. Once those were out he discovered food and this skinnier than a stick kid took off. He likes weird tasting stuff which I believe comes about from the days he couldn't taste food. Since that time when someone says they have a fussy eater, this is the first thing that comes to mind. Make sure it isn't a physical problem.