All right people, what constitutes a 'wicked' or 'evil' movie?!

@mommyboo (13198)
Is it the content? The rating? Violence? Title? Movies are NOT real! Not unless it's a documentary based on real life events. For those of you who NEVER watch horror movies or psychological thrillers and you believe these movies are somehow bad, WHY do you think they are bad? What is BAD about them? I watch all sorts of horror and thriller movies. I don't go about cussing people out, slashing people, or plotting what I'm going to do to somebody I don't like. So... tell me again, what is wicked or evil about a movie? There are certainly some pretty disgusting or gross movies, but it's FICTION. If you have trouble separating fiction from reality, that doesn't give you the right to whine about the content.
@4mymak (1796)
hi mommyboo... true - movies are fiction - not real.. but unfortunately, there are people who are influenced by what they watch in movies.. and may take what they see on the screen and put them to practice in real-life.. well it may be just a 'very, very tiny fraction' of people - still.. the affect is there... me, i dont watch the violent, horror, scary movie.. simply just because i have a 'faint heart', although it's just special effects, make-up or whatever latest technology or tricks the movie-world has come up with.. i just cant take the 'surprise'.. or just cant see that much 'blood' (even if in really it just ketchup..)
@mommyboo (13198)
Maybe I'm just a mutant. I like thrills, I like to be scared. That doesn't mean I really want to be chased by some dude with a machete down a dark alley and over a fence but I don't mind watching it. Blood doesn't bother me, I can even deal with my own. I don't have a weak stomach, I can stay calm in a disaster, I'm not afraid of heights, and depending on the situation I might stay and fight or I might run, but I'm not the one who will stand there frozen and do nothing. I am also fairly sure if I had to shoot someone or be killed, I could pull the trigger. One question for you - is there a reason you feel like the large large majority of people should cater to that tiny tiny tiny fraction of people who might go crazy over a violent movie and decide to emulate what the characters do? I think it would be better just to let something like a violent movie flush out those people who have issues and then they can be arrested or institutionalized or whatever needs to happen. I am really getting tired of people punishing those of us who are average and normal by expecting us to walk on eggshells around people who are not normal.
@DawGwath (1043)
Great point you got there. Maybe they are actually afraid their minds are too weak and they could lose touch with reality. Anyway, some will bring as proof different studies that prove violent movies and video games increase violent behavior, but there's no actual study anywhere in the world. Actually there are studies that prove violence decreases in areas where such material is being distributed.
@fwidman (11515)
I don't generally whine about the content but I don't watch those types of movies either. I don't watch them because for the most part they are pretty ridiculous to me, not my cup of tea. I watched a lot of horror movies when I was a kid, those awful "B" movies that Universal made. They were fun. Today the movies are more blood and gore than they are worth
@mommyboo (13198)
The special effects are now up to par . I see they have remade a lot of old horror/slasher movies, like a remake of Nightmare on Elm Street is coming up. I actually liked the original, and it WAS scary to me. I preferred Elm St to Jason, that's for sure. One of the ones that made the biggest impact on me was probably Poltergeist, because I was 9 or so when I watched it and it was really creepy to me. Not having been exposed to much of that before, it was so entirely different I had nightmares for weeks and I didn't like my tv. I also used to watch awful B movies, once in awhile I still catch one on tv but I spend a lot more time laughing and poking fun at it with hubby.
@solared (1210)
In my mind any movie thats has satanic stuff on the cover you know what I'm saying I just don't wanna mention it. Also any movie that glorifies violence such as "Natural Born Killers' that movie actually spawned some copycats.
@mommyboo (13198)
Wasn't 'Natural Born Killers' based on something that actually happened? I think the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was based on something real too. I'm not saying that fictionalized accounts or movies or books based on REAL events are always a good idea, but they do sell and the public gets interested, so for the entertainment industry they are a good thing. They hold interest, people discuss them, etc. I didn't really like Natural Born Killers, there have been a few other really gruesome things I have seen that just rubbed me wrong. When the characters are just killing to kill and there is no reason - such as retribution for something, it's hard to swallow. I can understand though if a guy wakes up and finds his family slaughtered, it makes sense for him to go on a rampage and track down the murderer and pay them back... many people would at least consider this option initially out of desperation and anger.
@solared (1210)
That kind of movie would be considered a Charles Bronson movie...lol
mommyboo, I believe the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was based on real life cannibal Ed Gein. He was a farmer back in the early twentieth century. He would dig up corpses and use their body parts and skin to make household objects and even masks (he eventually killed two women and tried eating a part of one as well)...hence Leatherface. I believe Ed Gein was also the inspiration for movies such as "Psycho" and "Silence of the Lambs." Now you have something interesting to think about when you watch these again! Even though I don't care for horror movies I love true crime, and Ed Gein was definitely most interesting to read about.
I dont think there is such a thing as an "evil" movie or book for that matter like you said its fiction that is why it blows my mind that some religious fanatics complain about Harry Potter
I agree with you on the Harry Potter thing. I'm a Christian, and the main thing I see in Harry Potter is not witchcraft...it's a lesson to kids on making the decision between good and evil. Is that not what Christianity teaches as well? It also blows my mind why some books are banned...it's kind of creepy in a "Fahrenheit 451" sense. I remember reading "The Giver" in middle school...best book I've ever read with the best "what if" scenario...years later it was banned. Why...because it makes kids think?!
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
I don't watch those kinds of things because I don't enjoy them, but I don't think they are bad. As in evil. They may be bad as in badly written or acted or whatever, but unless they're out and out encouraging a person to go out and commit bad acts, they aren't evil.
@gmatthews (155)
I watch all kinds of movies. I do know that my sister does not, because they give her nightmares. Some people do not watch those types of movies, because of their religious faith. I do not feel that I should be condemned for watching them nor do I condemn those who do not.