Here's A Trick For You! Thin Curtains! What To Do?

My bedroom - after it's been painted. It was a dark periwinkle blue which was really nice to sleep in for it kept the room dark even with the sun outside but now, it's quite a bit lighter but the curtains are now thicker than this and very little light comes through so we're not awakened by the sun anymore or seen by nosy neighbors! lol
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Oh how I hate thin curtains!! It doesn't matter what the design is, if they're thin, everybody on the other side can see a silhouette of you and what you're doing. I sooooo hate that!! I had just painted my bedroom for it so badly needed it since it was three and a half years ago since it was done last and I painted it a beige color but more on the brown side, not yellow. I bought new bed linens and curtains to match however, my curtains are so darned thin!! I hated them but got a great idea in my head so I ran with it! Well, since I don't have a sewing machine, couldn't get one to work if I did have one. lol I decided to buy two kind sized flat sheets in a light brown color to match the curtains which are in all kinds of browns so it matches perfectly and cut the sheets into the sizes of the curtains minus the hem areas and then I used these fabric glue strips to iron them on! It looks awesome and privacy? Whoa!! Privacy is back!! LOL They feel more like drapes now than thin see through curtains so I'm right happy about that!! Now they're not perfect by any means because I didn't have a white marker pen so I did the very best that I could and heck! How is anybody going to know unless I tell them? They're not!! LOL Plus they're insulating too which will help with the electric bill too so it was well worth the time it took to do it even though it was a lot of work, it was well worth it!BTW, here's a picture of my bedroom after I painted it!! What do you think? I love it!! It looks nice, fresh and clean now! The picture didn't come out that good because of some light spots from the ceiling light fixture. But you'll get the gist of it once you see it.
@blackbriar (9080)
When hubby and I bought our first home, a mobile home, we bought the thick flannel sheets and had my mom sew a fat hem on one end for pocket rods to go through and we had curtains. You can also use certain thin blankets as well. Just a little stiffer is all but more insulating.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
There's not a thing wrong with that! When I married the first time, we didn't have any curtains at all so we had to use blankets. They were just plain ole blankets, not cut out or anything. Luckily for you, your mom knows how to sew with a machine whereas my mom HATES to sew and doesn't so I made do with what I had. Curtains are so darned expensive! Even the non insulated ones.
I have a pile of clothes on the dresser that need sewing..just goes to show ya how enthused I am about it as well. lol There's also a few fleece dog toys in there as well whose seams need tending to. Yeah, my mom knows how to use her machine and my bro and I would always take things over for her to sew. Sadly, her right hand no longer functions like it should so she can't use her machine anymore or even sew by hand. :-(
@CatsandDogs (13964)
For the most part, I don't sew to repair either. I did HAVE to last night though because well, I love my sweat pants, they're so comfortable and the other night I had my black pair on and they HAD a ripped pocket. The other night I had put my hearing aids in my pocket when hubby went to bed. (I like my peace and quiet times! lol) I went to get a few other things such as my coffee, night meds, cell phone (just in case) and headed upstairs to watch one of my late night tv shows and won't bother hubby. Well I went to get my hearing aids and couldn't find them and thought I must've dropped them on the way up so I went in search for them and couldn't find them anywhere! Scared me mad!! I got so upset and angry at myself. Whew! Hubby and I searched and searched for 2.5 hours and couldn't find them. We went to bed, boy was I ever so mad at myself! Woke up the next morning and went searching yet again and I got overheated and went outside to cool off and felt this string at the bottom of my sweats, only it wasn't a string at all but my hearing aids!! I liked to have come unglued!! I screamed for hubby and showed him the aids hanging out of my pants leg and knew exactly what had happened, I missed my pocket altogether and it went down my pants leg!! I felt like such a fool!! I vowed never again will this happen for once I wash them, I'm going to sew the pocket back and I did last night so no more incidents like that again! Now to explain the hearing aids dangling, mine are in the ear type and both are connected by a wire which goes under my hair. It's called a bio cross because I'm deaf in my left ear and have maybe 40% in my right so any noise on my left side gets transferred to my right aid so I don't miss anything. I don't have any sense of direction when it comes to the noise but I do get to hear it and not be left out. So that's why it was dangling out of my sweat pants leg, from the wire. Other than that, I very rarely sew by hand. Sorry to hear that about your mom! How sad! Life can be so damned cruel in old age. They say, "Getting old isn't for sissy's!" I have found a lot of truth in that too!
@djbtol (5497)
Sounds like a wonderful solution. Now you can enjoy your privacy in new ways. Have a great day!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Oh yeah!! You bet!! LMBO!! There's nothing like real privacy in the bedroom! Especially when married.....
@ANTIQUELADY (36468)
wHAT A SMART GIRL U ARE. sHEETS MAKE WONDERFUL CURTIANS. tHE FIRST APT. I HAD AFTER I MARRIED I HAD SHEETS FOR CURTIANS IN MY BEDROOM. i SURE DON'T WANT ANY THIN CURTIANS , I TO LIKE MY PRIVACY. i HAVE MINI BLINDS AT ALL MY WINDOWS & I LOVE THEM. i'M PROUD OF U FOR BEING SO TALENTED.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Awwwwww Jo!! You're so sweet!! Thank you!! I can't say I'm all that talented but had to learn to be. I made my own flower arrangements for my wedding and that's when it all started. I have to see other peoples work to get the ideas of how to do it then I try to do it myself but with my own colors. The sheet idea was something that came to mind after a few weeks of wondering what to do and I thought to myself, why didn't I think of that before?! lol I have made some flower baskets, one for the spring/summer time and another for the fall/winter and both are really pretty! I made one for mom too with a basket she already had and she really loves hers so maybe I am a wee bit talented? LOL Mom says I get it from both of my grandmothers because both did a lot of crafts.
@ANTIQUELADY (36468)
I think u do great. One of my problems i don't have any imagination how something will look till it's setting in front of me. I admire people that can make pretty things. U did good.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Guess what Jo..... I don't have any imagination either!! No kidding either!! I just see something and I'll look at it and see how it's put together and I'll go find the stuff that I need to make one for myself! Crazy, yes but that's how I get my ideas.
@dragon54u (31644)
Those look beautiful! But if you have the miniblinds, I wouldn't think privacy would be an issue. I see you have steps for a critter, that's so thoughtful! I have miniblinds, too, but they are all drawn up to make the window open. I have lace curtains I got on sale at an outlet store for about $4 per window! I couldn't care less if someone sees in, I just want as much sunlight as I can get!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Oh those miniblinds are about as thin as paper and our shadow casting on it, the neighbors can see a silhouette of us. I'd love to get the wooden type but by golly day! The price for those are EXpensive!! So we have to do the next best thing which is get thicker curtains or make them thicker. We don't mind the sunlight during the day which is when we open the curtains but not at night or so early in the morning .
@mentalward (14695)
Ah! The old sheet trick! I've used that myself, except that I sewed them on with a sewing machine. I'm a sewer from way back and love to sew. I've made my own curtains and drapes, actually for most of my life. I had a neighbor a long time ago who made custom drapes for people from her home and she inspired me. Looking at the cost of good drapes convinced me that I should learn how to make them myself. I think your use of the fabric glue strips is excellent for those who don't sew. I have some that I use for my husband's work pants because, as an engineer and a very picky fellow, he likes to look his best at work. Hemming pants with thread is not the nicest way to do it so I use the glue strips and the hem doesn't show. We're far enough away from our neighbors that I don't worry about them seeing what is going on inside my house. The way I figure it, if their lives are that pathetically boring that they have to be watching what I do, more power to them. You never know, you might teach them a trick or two.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Anybody that can sew by a machine is very lucky lucky indeed!! I had a sewing machine once and tried time and time and time again to sew on it but it was always either loose on top or on bottom and no matter how much I turned that tension dial, it still kept doing it. My ex neighbor in Texas could get it to work just fine but not me. I finally had to give up and sold the darned thing but I do want to take classes on how to use the machine..... some day. I love to sew BY A MACHINE, never by hand, I did it when I was in home ec in school and just fell in love with it but then many years later, when I got the machine, it just didn't work out. Maybe once I take a class on it I'll get another machine and say a prayer before I open the box.
@abbey19 (3129)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Wow - your bedroom looks awesome, and the drapes on the window look great- you did a good job. What a brilliant idea to use sheets behind your curtains for more privacy. I must remember that little trick! Your bedroom looks very classy and inviting with the new curtains and bed cover.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Thank you Abbey!! We like to have things that match whether or not they're the same pattern or not, one plain and the other with a pattern is good and that's what we had before I painted it but the walls were getting chipped here and there so I knew it was time to do something. Everything we had was of a darker color which constantly was fading because I wash our comforter once a month if not more and in cold water but they continued to fade and I got tired of having to replace it and go through the same thing again. It got to be a bit costly. Hopefully this won't fade so quickly.
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
Very Very Good idea, I've been using sheets for years, Love It!!! You're right a fresh painted room makes all the difference in the world.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I can't sew worth a toot and damn but I'd sure love to learn how! I had a sewing machine once and tried sooooo many times to get it to work right and couldn't so I ended up selling it before it went out of my window. LMBO! I want to take some classes on how to run a sewing machine some day and say I am but haven't gotten around to it yet but I will..... eventually. But when I got the curtains, I picked my brain silly for an idea and finally came up with the sheets idea and thought, what a neat idea! And I ran with it and it turned out right nice!!
Very nice. You did a good job. I am kind of curious why the photo is date stamped as 2008 not 2009?
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Is it dated 2008?! Oh shoot! Make me a liar, huh? That damned camera of mine, it eats batteries because of having that part on the back where you can see the picture before you take it, that's the cause of eating the batteries and when we change them, the date goes back to the original date and well, I guess I goofed when setting it. I didn't have my reading glasses on. Oh la la! lol
Wasn't complaining but for some reason my old investigator job still has me paying attention to details. BTW I did not know that is why my camera batteries do not last very long. Thank for the tip!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Oh no no no!! I didn't take it that way!! lol I was just making a joke out of it. We didn't know that that was the cause of batteries not lasting so long till someone at the store counter told us. You're welcome for the tip!
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
I have one question for you and one question only : Where Did You Get That Bedding???? lol... I really like it. Now this whole curtain thing, is it shown in the picture? I don't know. So you basically made the curtains thicker, which brings privacy as well as blocks the sun so you can sleep in, that's good.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
What a compliment! Thanks!! Yes, the curtains are in the picture but I haven't done them then. Anyway, I got it from http://www.blair.com/catalog/ensemble.jsp?ensembleId=305&parentCategoryId=3&categoryId=236&subCategoryId=318 Just copy the link and paste it, you should see it come right up but if it doesn't, let me know and I'll do it again. I think mylot associates have put a block of some sort so we can't put up working links but for some reason, when we post it again, it works the second time. Go figure. lol
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
Oh yes blair, I've seen there catalogs before. Beautiful bedding and not too terribly bad of a price, I haven't had the link problem before though... hmm, I have heard of it though. Odd it is.
@kelly10 (678)
If it was me I would have considered putting up some wooden blinds as well to provide that extra little bit of privacy. Plus it give you the best of both worlds and you get two different looks in one. I have seen some lovely curtains which were more like net and they were hung with a wooden blind and they complemented each other perfectly. I'd think about doing that next time you fancy a change.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I looked into the cost of wooden blinds but they're so expensive!! I gawked at the price of them and no way, I'm not paying that kind of price so I had to come up with another idea and did and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the idea anyway!
@kelly10 (678)
I purchased our wooden blinds from Ikea and they were £15, although this was a few years ago so the price may have gone up. If you shop around online they will work out cheaper then in a shop.
@Kalyni2011 (3497)
Wow so nice my friend i have saved a copy of this Thanks for this discussion in such great details, very useful. Happy posting, cheers. Namastey. Kalyani
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Awwww I'm so glad to be of help!! I love living in a frugal way and coming up with ideas isn't my specialty but some how my brain got to working that day! lol
@MsTickle (25051)
I'll bet it feels great. I don't paint that often and I'm not a brown colour person so I won't comment on the colour. I love what you did with them tho, I did the same to some curtains purely for insulation and appearance sake a few years back in one of my rooms. I like to have sheers and heavy drapes in my bedroom and living room so I can open the heavy drapes during nice weather in the day time but I still have my privacy. The sheers are lacy. In my lounge room, I've used insulated fabric for the curtains. I have been going to make new ones for the living room for a couple of years now...I have the fabric but I'm just not motivated.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Sorry for being so late in responding but I'm trying to do the right thing and get back with everyone who has responded to my discussions and comment back. I have to say that brown isn't for everyone and now it's grown old on me. I want the color blue back and will do so sometime this summer, I hope. The blue that I had was a twilight color blue that even when the sun shined in our two windows with the blinds down, the twilight blue would still make the room feel dark enough so that we could sleep longer and not have to get up. So I guess I'll be looking for another set of curtains to do again.....
@gabs8513 (48710)
Well Cats that is an awesome Idea and one that will stick my Head for sure Specially for the Winter time when I need thicker Curtains Thanks for this brilliant Idea and I shall check out the Photo now
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hi gabs! I'm glad the idea works for someone else other than me! lol It took me a few days to figure out what to do to make them thicker and it does work like a charm! Good luck to you my friend! Hugs to both you and Gissi!
@lindiebiz (1013)
Your room looks great, you did a good job, I really like it. I would like to learn how you used the fabric glue to the curtains.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Fabric Tape - This is basically what I used.
Thanks!! I really appreciate that! The fabric glue comes in strips. You buy it at a department store or a fabric store. It looks something like the picture for there are so many different kinds and brands to choose from. I got mine from walmart and it's extra strong.
@calai618 (1779)
As I was reading your post, I saw myself in you lol. Just yesterday, I was able to make 2 curtains froma piece of fabric I bought on a flea market. I was so happy because it was the first time I did that. i only used a hand sewing machine which I bought the same day and everything really turned out professionally done..lol..Wen I saw your picture, I got even more freaked out because the wall color you have for your room is exactly the room color I have now in my room. i personally mixed that color when we were renovating a few months ago. I used a lot of browns, yellow and even black tint. it wasn't really what I wanted but it turned out great when we started painting it on the wall (I painted my bedroom walls myself!!!). Congratulations to you. Your room really looks wonderful. At least you have managed to solve a problem without spending that much or exerting too much effort. now the curtains are both functional and aesthetically pleasing! Good job!!!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I think we all have a bit of craftiness in all of us, we just have to find it and pull it out! lol I've had some hit or miss times till I got it right and even then, it was never perfect but who has to know?! lol Like you, when hubby and I cleaned my parents old place and it needed painted something awful, my dad told us where the paint was put and told us to mix it altogether and it should have a nice color to put on the walls. My oldest brother got there before we did and mixed it for us and it turned out to be right pretty! What a shocker it was but it turned out right nice! Now my parents have a renter and hopefully they'll buy the house before too much longer since they want to but can't right yet because of the credit problems that they need to fix are supposedly they're working on it. Now when we got the paint for our bedroom, it was waaaay too light and on the yellow side which was not what we wanted so hubby took it back with one of the pillow shams and got them to darken it a little bit so the brown side would come out and they did a wonderful job at it so it was custom made too. Thanks for your kind words!!
hi cats thats a pretty bedroom and it looks inviting too your spread and draperies look great.I used to hate thin curtains too as you never had any privacy. of course now I am here we have the modern slats blinds like most places.I miss 'the color and design of draperies but the slats do keep out glare and give us privacy too. When we had our own home I loved to paint and its so great that a new color can give such a lift to a room. and its not that expensive either. then new draperies and you are all set.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Thanks Hatley! I bought them from blair.com at a very reasonable price although the curtains cost a bit more than what I would normally pay for them but thought, what the heck because put the whole thing together cost and all, it comes out to be a rather decent price. I wish I could afford those slats type of blinds but they're so expensive!! Whew!! Maybe when I get rich, I'll get some. LOLOLOLOLOLOL