We Finally Have Our Girl! Dog That Is.... lol

~Our Newest Baby ~  - We named her Chloe. Our male's name is Toby so we thought Chloe would fit her perfectly.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
We got our female German Shepherd yesterday! Finally we found one that we liked and gosh, she is gorgeous!! Her markings are black and silver however, she has one brown eye and one blue eye. Very different but really pretty! She has some brown around her eyes along with silver and black so we are wondering how much she'll change in her colors as she grows. We named her Chloe. Right now she's just 8 weeks old and sleeps a lot. I think it's because she was born and raised outdoors and since we're keeping her inside, all the going ons is too much for her and is wearing her out and of course, she's just a baby. Our male German Shepherd, Toby is black and tan and he's a handsome fellow. We're planning on breeding the two when the time comes and sell the litter. We're only going to do this a few times and then have them both fixed. We don't want to ruin our dogs but want to have some puppies to experience. Both of them have papers so we'll be able to sell them without any problems. They're very popular in this area so that's a plus too. Check out the picture, she's one pretty gal! I'll post more as I get responses so you can see her in different light. Plus, the next picture will show her brown and blue eyes.
She is very beautiful! She has quite lovely coloring like you said. German Shepherds are great dogs! But I just HAVE to put my two cents in...and I'm really not trying to offend you or start an argument...but I really have to TRY to convince you not to breed! lol. You say you want to experience puppies...contact your local shelters and rescues and become a foster parent. And make sure they know you are interested in fostering newborn litters, they're always in need of foster homes for newborn litters! And older puppies, and adult dogs, and senior dogs! CATS TOO! lol There are a few reasons I'm against breeding; 1) It can be dangerous for your female dog; there could be complications that could kill her. It can also change the temperament of either breeding dog. Male dogs may become aggressive towards the pups and even the mother, that's something you'd have to watch very closely! 2) For every puppy you breed and sell, that's one dog in a shelter that is not getting a home, and that's one more euthanized shelter animal. *Sorry, again! I'm not trying to offend you. You've got a beautiful pup there! Congrats!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
You did not offend me at all. I truly understand your plight for I've taken a number of stray cats myself and have rescued a number of both dogs and cats so yes, I do understand and will leave it at that. Thanks for your "two cents"! lol
@pyewacket (44031)
I have to agree with you LilyoftheThorns. There are so many unwanted animals in shelters it's not funny and many get put down. By purposely breeding dogs, one takes away the chance of a dog getting adopted from a shelter
My family has taken in a lot of stray cats and dogs too--they seem to migrate to our house lol. Do I get a penny for my thoughts? Or maybe two cents ;P lol I would foster animals in a second if I could, but I can't while I'm going to school and living with my parents! lol
@carmelanirel (20979)
Oh congrats cats, you know how much I love dogs, and german shepherds..:) We are getting 2 new puppies and chloe is onoe name I want to use, that is if my son and husband agree..I will check out this picture, I am sure she is adorable..:)
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Thanks and yeah I do know how much you love dogs. I'm a big fan of both cats and dogs, obviously. lol Chloe is so big that she looks older than 8 weeks so she's going to be one big dog, just like Toby, our male GS is. They'll both be a perfect match for each other. I posted a picture under the first responder so check it out, you'll see she has one brown eye and one blue eye. Oh and her colors are a wee bit darker because she was behind a chair away from the light so she looks kind of tan there. Since you're getting two pups, you name one and hubby name the other. That way you'll get to use the name Chloe like you want.
@leenie50 (3992)
Her size makes her look older but her baby face shows her age. Such a beautiful baby!!
great, I will check it out now..:)
Congrats on your newest addition cats..she is a beautiful looking pup. You will have to keep us posted on the breeding and share pictures of the puppies when you get your first litter....Congrats again
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Thanks froggieslover! She is really pretty and I was told that she's a rare one. I would think she is because I've never seen one like her before. Hopefully she'll be the dominate one and have more of her later on..... some time next year. I will keep you posted!
I thought the same thing when I saw her very pretty...I think german shepards are pretty to start with but her colorings are great....
@cream97 (29164)
Hi, CatsandDogs. Yes she is an absolute beauty! She looks so much older than eight weeks old though. I am glad that you have finally found the dog that you have been wishing for. I can't wait to see her pretty brown and blue eyes. Keep us all posted.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Chloe - One blue eye and one brown eye
I was astonished when I first saw her in the pen and thought, gosh, she's older than that for she's so big! But the papers say she's 8 weeks old, she was born on October 28th, you do the math. lol Here's the picture I promised! I got the red out of the blue eye as much as I could.
@cream97 (29164)
Chole is very sweet and pretty! I wished I could come and kiss her. She is an absolute eye catcher!! I hope that you enjoy every moment with her. She is one eye catcher!
@ravinskye (8242)
Aw she's sooo cute! We got a puppy a few weeks ago. He is 17 weeks old right now. He was 8 weeks when we got him. He is growing so fast! At 9 weeks he was 14 pounds, then at 12 weeks he weighed 26! He is a yellow lab puppy. I've always wanted a yellow lab. He is full blooded but he didn't come with papers.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Thank you! It doesn't matter if he came with papers as long as you love him. We have two dogs that don't have papers and we love them very much! I can imagine my pup will grow like a weed too which will be a good thing so that Toby, my other GS has a play mate soon. lol
@kaka135 (14118)
Hi CatsandDogs, I suppose you really like cats and dogs, and that's why you have this username? Congratulations on your new born puppy. I always think German Shepherd is nice dog breed, they are very smart, right? I am having a yellow Labrador, she is very smart and lovely too. We have been thinking if we are going to have a second dog, then it'd be German Shepherd.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Yes, that's why I have this username, because I love animals. My husband and I have 16 in total. We have 11 cats and 5 dogs. Some of the cats are strays that adopted us and we can't turn them away. German Shepherds are brilliant! They are VERY smart! You have to teach them from the time they're puppies till they're full grown. If you ever get one, you won't be disappointed.
@Polly1 (12648)
Congrats on the new addition to you family. She really is a petty baby girl. How many cats and dogs do you have now? Are they all inside animals? I just have one dog, she is getting up there in years. Plus I have the 4 cats, they are like wild animals. They eat like pigs and poop like elephants. I go thru cat food and cat litter like crazy. You can be very proud of me, all my cats got fixed last week. They have all recovered nicely from the trauma. I like the name Chloe.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Thanks Polly! Well, another stray cat has adopted us so that makes 11 cats and now 5 dogs. All the cats are inside/outside except for two who are strictly outside cats and the two big dogs are going to be inside/outside during the winter months but come spring, they'll be outside dogs. Eat like pigs and poop like elephants, eh? lol Most of mine do their business outside which is really nice! lol And all of ours are fixed except for the two German Shepherds for we're planning on breeding them in a year or so. YES!! I'm VERY happy to hear you got them all fixed!! WAY TO GO!!!!
@PastorP (1173)
Greetings CatsandDogs, Congratulations on your new addition. I imagine Toby is, or will be happy. German Shepherds make great watchdogs, right? The first one I met was when I was little boy. My grandparents had him and named him Sputnik. Yep, it was the 1950's. I really think that God has given pets for us to enjoy.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Greetings to you too PastorP and welcome to mylot! I hope you enjoy your time here and make many wonderful friends as I have! I agree, God has made so many wonderful things including animals for our pleasure whether it's to have them in our home or to view from a distance. My husband and I have 16 pets now, some are strays that have adopted us in which I can not turn them away. I just can't because I try to put myself in their shoes, if I were a cat or a dog without a home and am hungry or cold, I'd hope someone would love me enough to take me in. We have 11 cats and 5 dogs. And no, there's no one here by the name of Noah! I've had German Shepherds and Chihuahuas since I was a child and have loved them ever since. I've posted another picture under the first responder for you to see. Check it out if you'd like.
@ANTIQUELADY (36468)
So we have a new mom on mylot, Congraulations. That puppy doesn't know how lucky she is to have come to such a good home. I'm soooooooo happy for you, Cat.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Toby and Chloe - Toby is 10 months old and Chloe is 8 weeks old. They make a wonderful pair!
Thank you Jo!! I'm a proud new mom too for she's such a beautiful gal! She was well worth the two hour drive to get her. Between Toby's colors and Chloe's colors, they should produce some really pretty pups! But that won't happen for at least a year from now when she's a year old at least. Here's a picture of the two together, what do you think?
@ANTIQUELADY (36468)
AWWWWWWW, THEY WILL HAVE BEAUTIFUL PUPPIES. I expect u to name the first one , jojo, lol.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I will do just that!! But I can't promise the new owners will keep that name but I will call the very first born Jo Jo! That's a PROMISE!!
@MsTickle (25051)
She's a fat little bundle isn't she? Such a cutie. I've never seen a German Shepherd with that colouring; the only ones I've seen are black and gold or a fawn colour. Can't wait to see the photos face on.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Right now she's so full of herself that she won't sit still for me to take a picture of her. lol Even though her name is Chloe, I call her little miss busy body because she's here with me one moment and then she's gone out of sight the next! lol I did get some what of a face picture on the first responder, check it out! When I'm able to get a better one, I will, I promise!!
@MsTickle (25051)
That's a great photo...she looks a scamp...she's going to be a mischevious one.
@paula27661 (15898)
Congratulations for your new addition, she’s beautiful! Her eyes are amazing! I am primarily a cat lover but I like dogs too and I too have one; they are so loving, all they want to do is please us! Having a litter of puppies will be exciting, hope it all works as it should when the time is right. You’ve chosen a very pretty name for her too. You must have a lot of animals...I love them...Happy New Year to you, your family and furry friends!
• Mexico
Hi paula: I just think the same. Basically I am a cat lover that knows how to love every animal beauty including dogs. Lol. XD. Actually and even if i love cats I have not yet owned one but I have three dogs and they make kids more responsables. I think that Chloe is an interesting name too. Well, thanks for your answer Paula. Hope you are having a nice day. Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays. Take Care. -Alvaro.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hi Paula and starsailover, Thank you!! She is a real beauty, isn't she? lol I love cats too, in fact, I have 11 of them along with 5 dogs. lol It's like a regular cat and dog farm here! lol I've taken in so many stray cats from people dropping them off at or near my house and they end up here. I can't turn them away because they're living beings in need of food and love which I have both. lol Happy New Year to you too!!
@Java09 (3080)
Sounds ike a beautiful dog you got.I'm on a breeder's waiting list for a toy breed.I'll be getting one around March 2010.I can't wait,its exciting to get a new dog.You sound excited about your German Shepherd.That wopuld be cool to at least experience puppies once.I wish I could,I never had a dog that had puppies.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
It is an interesting experience, that's for sure. I grew up with all sorts of dogs and cats and have seen both birth their young. We're going to breed the two only one or two times, not a lot because there are so many other dogs that are in need of homes. I'd like to help our police departments in selling them our dogs for a low fee so they'll have a partner and protector to help them fight crime.
Hello; I train n raise working dogs Schutzhund style training. Itrain general obediance also. You got your dog at a good age, i am happy the person that sold u the dog waited that long to have your dog get associated with it's litter mates before you received it. The age I like to see people receive their pets is 8- 12 weeks the best age to start training on working and all other breeds of dogs. It may have been awhile since you had a puppy. Puppies specially larger breeds need ALOT OF REST IN THEIR GROWING STAGE to have growth and their knowledge catch up to them properly. Training is also important on all animals... REMEMBER ALWAYS LUV/ CARE FOR YOUR DOG/ PET, THEY WILL ALWAYS LUV U....
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I agree, 8 - 12 weeks is a really good age for a puppy to go to it's new home. Any earlier than that is just too early. Chloe is learning new commands although she's not getting it just yet because she is so young but she will in due time. I've trained a number of pets so I know she'll catch on sooner or later. Hubby and I have 11 cats and 5 dogs at the moment so they are well cared for and all are very much loved and know it. lol
she is adorable. Congrats!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Yeah she is!! lol Thank you!!
• Mexico
Hi cats and dogs: You look really proud of your new pet and the way you discribe her and the picture you add to the discussion makes me think that Chloe would be a very beautiful German Shepherd. I have known that some dogs change their eyes color while they grow up so maybe this would be the case, who knows, even with that it's interesting how she looks right now. As a pet owner i simply say congratulations! Thanks for your sharing with us this story. Hope you are having a nice day. Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays. Take Care. -Alvaro.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Yes I am a proud new mommy of a new puppy!! lol The breeder was concerned that she may be blind in that one eye because it stayed a blue color instead of changing to brown like it was suppose to do but it's apparent that she can see perfectly just like any other dog so we hope it doesn't change for we like the color. It'll be interesting in seeing how her pups turn out when we breed her with our male German Shepherd but that won't happen for at least a year from now.
She is beautiful. I love her coloring!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Thank you whiteheather!! She is a real beauty, isn't she? lol
oh.nice and i also like girl .but that's a German Shepherd..aha.i can't afford to feed that kind of dog currently and only can feed those normal dogs but i also like the female dogs and treat them like my own daughter.they also can act like a real girl.that's really funny.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
They do cost a bundle to feed but being how they are, it's well worth it! They're brilliant dogs and very loyal to their master. They're so much a part of our family and like you, we treat them all like their our daughters and sons. Thanks!
@pyewacket (44031)
Awww..she's a beauty and yes, she does look rather big for only 8 weeks old. As I mentioned elsewhere I would really reconsider the idea of breeding her. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to adopt out all the puppies, and it does take away the potential of someone adopting from a shelter and as you know shelters are overwhelmed with unwanted pets Many of those unwanted pets in shelters are a result of someone breeding their pet with the thought of simply adopting them out and then they find out no one is interested
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hi Pye and thanks! I totally and completely understand your feelings however, we're not going to do it often, just a couple of times and then we're going to fix both of them. There's so many people who want GS that we'll not have any problems finding homes for them. Besides, if I'm lucky, I hope to help the police department with a puppy or two or more. They really need dogs to help protect them as well as us. We'll have to see how it goes.
Your new baby is really cute. IT is god that u have brought companion for your male dog. I own a male dog and he is all the time desperate for mating, but till now I hv been unable to find companion for him. U hv given me an idea. I too will start looking for a female puppy so that she can be a companion for the dog.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hey hey!! We got our female to breed with our male because of their breed is pure. They're both 100% German shepherds so the puppies will be too. I'm not breeding for the heck of it or for my male's pleasure nor would I ever do that. So don't breed your dog for pleasure purposes. Instead it's best to neuter your dog so he won't be worried about a female coming into heat. It's much better that way than to breed for his pleasure.
@TrvlArrngr (4051)
Congratulations!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
thank you!!