Who orders diet soda with their Burgers?!

Omagh, Northern Ireland
Apparently it's quite a common occurrence here for somebody to be ordering a diet drink along with their "Everything on" McWhopper Sandwich Meal Deal (supersized,of course!) My question is Why?! The food has probably put a big dent in your recommended daily allowance..is it the conscience kicking in a that point? Let Me know what you've seen or experienced!
@Ladyslipper (1330)
I once preferred to drink Diet Soda because I like its taste better. I don't prefer it because I'm conscious of calories. I don't have to because no matter what I eat it seems that I don't gain weight. However, someone told me or I have read somewhere that it contains a chemical that is harmful to health when taken in large quantity. They say it's safer to drink the regular soda. Starting that day I stopped drinking diet soda. My friends thought it's weird that I prefer the taste of diet compared to regular soda. I still prefer it's taste until now though it's been more than a year since the last time I had one.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I've heard that one too,but I think that was only said to be a problem if you were drinking the stuff in family size bottles per day...
Hahahaha! Your comment made me laugh as I could consume 1 family size bottle of soda in a day. I started to minimize my consumption of soda though since I'm pregnant again and our fmily has a history of being diabetic. Soda is always a part of our meal even breakfast. I know it's not healthy so I told my husband that we should stop or even just minimize the intake. Just right now there's 5 family size bottles of soda in our fridge. My mom is diabetic and I guess it was triggered by the fact that she also loves soda. Morning, snack, lunch and dinner there will always be a Soda. I am not sure if my Mom still takes a lot of Soda as my husband and I live in another town. My younger sister is a Nurse and still lives with Mom and Dad and I've heard that they started a healthy living ever since my Sister took Nursing. Soemtimes when my sister and I would talk over the phone or through email or chat she would tell me what I need to know about healthy living.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I saw a bit of a TV programme recently (I think it was something about healthier eating) that had a Priest on who was something of a soda addict..Thety took him into a room they'd filled with the quantities of soda He'd drink in a month,(I think the plan was to shock him with it) and his reaction was more "Wow,It's like Aladdin's Cave in here!")
I don't see what's so weird about people doing that. I do it from time to time just because I don't necessarily want to have more calories. If you look at the difference between regular and diet sodas you would be surprised at the amount of calories that add up.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I'm not trying to annoy people,just trying to provoke a discussion and get a cross section of opinions on the issue,but would you agree that the diet soda chaser after the big gulp burger meal wouldn't make a whole lot of difference by that stage,given what had gone before?
It all adds up and the reason I doubt often have the regular soda is because it adds a lot of calories that you would not normally think about. With a diet soda there's around 1 calorie in the whole drink compared to around 100 calories for the regular soda. If I have a burger out I don't usually have that much else that day for my lunch or dinner.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Calorie wise,you wouldn't want to be eating much more in the day than the Burger meal..
@joaomacp (67)
• Portugal
Yeah, it seems kinda stupid right? Well, I think they just don't want to add up even more calories.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I suppose so,but it does make you wonder....
@verabear (797)
I guess this is more for those who want to somehow control the amount of sugar they take in, not specifically for dieting purposes. But you are so right though, it doesn't make much sense to eat THAT much and cut back only with the soda. But I guess every little thing counts too right?
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Yes indeed..One TINY step at a time!
@littleone3 (2065)
Yes I am one of them people that does that but as I don't eat meat I will have a diet soda with a veggie burger which in some cases are a bit better for you. I only drink diet soda as I do not like the taste of ordinary soda.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Most of my thoughts on the Burger type meal here would be based on having seen "Supersize Me" and the Effect a fast food diet had on the researcher in a relatively short space of time. How would veggie Burgers compare,(calorie wise) against a regular fast food burger?
Well according to what I have read on here veggie burgers are lower in fat and calories then the meat version. Veggie burgers have between 70 and 170 calories.
@sender621 (14934)
I would never be one to order a diet drink with my food. I have never really cared for the taste of diet sodas. I prefer the real thing.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I think you're the first one to speak up for the "Fat" soda's side in this discussion!
I do this but, not because I want less calories from my drink but, because when drinking a full fat coke (as I say!) the sugar hurts my teeth and because mine are sensitive it is better for me to have less sugar! : )
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
a fair point...Thanks for the response!
@MrNiceGuy (4147)
Its not stupid at all. It does mean taking in less calories. At least its trying a little bit. As for me, I just prefer the taste of diet cola to regular by far, and I know a great many who agree.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I'm not saying it's stupid,but maybe a bit late is all!
@sassy28 (835)
I agree with you, I really do not care for the taste of regular drinks anymore. They seem to be to sweet. Yes, I have ordered the combo meal with a diet drink. Not that often, usually only if we are traveling. A hamburger is alot easier to eat than a salad while driving.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
There's not that many meal sized hot food items you can eat without cutlery,but the Burger has to be high on that list for popularity! (just don't forget the napkins!)
@towongfoo27 (2989)
I hardly ever go tofast food places like mcdonalds, because they are soo unhealthy. I have seen friends however that do order a diet soda with the Big Mac or Whopper. My opinion is if the person is going to order something that full of grease, fat and crap, why bother? It seems pointless to me to order a diet soda, full of more crap, when he os she is stuffing their face. Soda, diet or not is unhealthy, too. I don't think it is the consciousness kicking in at that point, but political correctness of following all the changing health news. People mistakenly assume that just because they have heard news saying some food or drink product isn't that bad for oyu, they rush out and get it and think nothing when consuming it. I stay away from soda of all kinds, simply because there is nothing but crap in it. I scoff at the vicitms of the fast-food business, because they prey on people who think they are being health conscious. Please. Drinking a diet soda isn't going to magically erase all the calories and crap consumed from a big mac or whopper. Who do these people think they are kidding? Maybe they should watch the movie "Super Size Me," and follow the McDonalds or buger King "die-it" for a whole month to see for themselves how unhealthy it is.
@mommyboo (13197)
Yep, I've seen that movie. The thing is, all of that was based on the guy eating nothing but Mcdonalds for 30 days. Of course that's bad, and of course it would wreak havoc on your body. Fast food is something meant once in awhile, or as a treat perhaps, or due to convenience because you got home at 8 pm, are traveling and nothing else is open, etc etc. Eating it every day? Not a good idea. I don't believe most of the crap tossed around about what is good for you and what isn't. Anybody with common sense can figure out what's definitely good for you, what is good for you in moderation, and what isn't good for you but won't harm you in moderation, and what you should actually avoid at all costs. If you read and watch all the constantly changing media feeds about any of it, you might just die from information overload and scare tactics. I had recently posted a thread about how I realized I don't really even LIKE fast food. That doesn't mean I shun it ALL the time or that I don't eat it or don't think it has a place in society. I think it definitely does. Just because I don't really like it doesn't mean it shouldn't exist or that other people shouldn't eat it, or that I shouldn't eat it. Are you thoroughly confused yet?
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Good Answer...Here,have a special Diet version BR!
@clocks123 (1227)
i would rather have diet soda because of the added amount of sugar and calories in regular soda. i think fast food is good in moderation; and yes, i would order diet soda with my burger.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Personally speaking,I stay clear of "fat" sodas,due to the amount of sugar in them,and have done so for a good while now..Given a choice,I might take diet soda,or water,or tea/coffee with a meal.
@laglen (19779)
I do that! I will order a Big mac, fries and a diet coke. It is not due to calories, I prefer the taste of saccharin to sugar. Sugar sodas to me are too sweet. I also use sweet n low in my coffee or on my cereal. It is a matter of preference.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Another vote for choice and a preference for the taste of the diet drinks..thanks for commenting!
@mommyboo (13197)
Here's one for ya - I LIKE DIET SODA. In general I order diet soda - I prefer diet coke to diet pepsi but that's just me. They taste different. I don't order super sized anything, I don't need that much food. I might eat that much food if it was something I made myself, or say at a nice sit down type of place (pasta is my downfall) but as far as burgers and fries? Not really. I often wonder why nobody stops to consider that some people drink diet soda because they like it. I often end up fielding all sorts of stupid comments about the diet soda - first of all because people assume I drink it because I am on a diet. I'm not on a diet, I probably weigh 95 lbs soaking wet. I do like the idea that I'm not ingesting 12 teaspoons of sugar if I feel like having a soda... but then you have the people who go on and on about artificial sweeteners. I don't get headaches or blurred vision, I don't get all high and crazy, and I don't have cancer sooo I think my occasional diet soda with my non super size chicken sandwich and fries I share with my daughter is just fine.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I have no problem with the diet soda itself..I was just puzzled about the reasons that many drink it along with a gutbuster feed,that being sort of missing the point of drinking the stuff! From the responses so far,preferring the taste of the Diet drinks seems to be top of the reason why,with a number of diabetics in second place..
@Lindalinda (4112)
Hold on people, it is not as stupid as it seems. Some of us are diabetics and I know sometimes we succumb to temptation and have some fast food. McDonalds is particularly bad for us. Usually the bun gets discarded because it is made of white flour which will convert to sugar immediately after being ingested. The meat itself does no harm it is protein but the French fries, starchy as they are also onvert to sugar. So if on top of all that I would have a regular soft drink which contains 10 teaspoons of sugar I would most certainly end up in Emergency with a massive sugar shock.(It happened to me once) So yes, I order a diet drink, even though aspartame is bad too but at least it is tolerated by diabetics.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I'd be thinking of Fast food (Especially Burger Joint Meals) as something to be best avoided by diabetics,but You describe it as being a calculated risk...that's fair enough. Thanks for posting!
I know I do it because of taste. I'm a gymnast and not over-weight at all. I just think that regular sodas are too sweet. Even if people do order a belly-buster and a diet soda that's their choice. At least they are cutting calories somewhere.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
As a Gymnast,do You eat much fast food?
@LadyMarissa (12160)
A good number of people will get the supersized meal with a diet soda simply because they are diabetic & cannot have the sugars in a regular soda. Of course, a lot lie to themselves thinking they are offsetting the calories in a regular soda. It has been proven that people who drink diet sodas tend to gain more weight than those who drink regular sodas...mainly because they rationalize that they've saved up more calories than they actually have!!!
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
good point!
@MrKennedy (1993)
It seems kind of dumb, especially if somebody exclaims loudly "I'm on a diet" The only reason I can think of is people who have health problems relating to sugar. At least by having a diet soda, it's not as bad
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
"I'm on a Diet!" (Yeah..riiight.....!)
sheperdspy You may be under some misapprehension as a lot of people who order a cheeseburger and a diet soda are diabetics who can handle what little sugar is in the cheeseburger but the whopping amount of sugar in an ordinary soda is way way too much for us to handle. so yes we do order diet cokes with our cheeseburgers or hamburgers, and I did not know we were being judged. most of you people who judge us that you do not even know judge wrongly so you may as well look somewhere else for your fun.And yes we can eat hamburgers if we order the right size ones and as for calories we mostly count all calories in a day and even out the calories from each meat so that a the end of a day we have always stayed within a fixed amount of c alories. we can do this occasionally aslong as we do not go past the limit of calories in one day.Conscience has nothing to do with ordering diet sodas as we have already pre planned our eating for the day including the occasional treat at BurgerKing. so go else where with your judging or just dont prejudge people.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I have no intention of dissing Diabetics! I can appreciate a proportion of those ordering fast food may be diabetic and counting calories,and that diet soda may be the way to go with that,but based on my limited experience of standing in a burger line (I seldom visit a burger chain) there's a lot of diet soda being ordered..I'm just sayin'! no prejudgement intended..I wouldn't order regular soda myself-I'd prefer Tea or Coffee!
@ElicBxn (61137)
my roomie always ordered a diet soda (before her surgery as you might guess) because she's diabetic I order soda because I don't like drinking all that sugar - waste of calories -
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
2 good,convincing reasons for the Diet soda!
@se7enthbird (8324)
that is really funny. a lot of women do that, they even order double cheese burger then a diet drink har har har. who do they think they are fooling. it is better if you make your own burgers if you are really on a diet. i see on tv this cooks or chef uses turkey or chicken to make burgers then you can drink a diet cola to go for it. i can not answer why but i guess people does not want to add more on the everything on it but it does not work that way.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
That's it..if it's a diet you want,the Burger or fast food counter's probably not the best place to start..
@TrvlArrngr (4051)
I usually drink a sweet tea with my burgers but if they don't have that then I will ask for a diet pepsi. Of course, why would that matter, since the meal has so many calories.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
yep-too little,too late!
some people drink diet soda no matter what they are eating. I know I can't drink the stuff it tastes so bad. I would not order a buger like thisa and top it off with a diet soda. I would buy a tea first. It's funny how people are always watching what we are doing.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
It's human nature..we like seeing what's going on in other peoples Lives-that might explain the popularity of Soaps for some people!