blood donation...

@ksmita (515)
hi. i've decided that ,on this birthday i'll donate blood(for the first time!!) but i want to know ,what precautions i should take? can you provide some extra info about it. happy mylotting.
@towongfoo27 (2989)
I have donated both blood and plasma before, and have had life-threatening reactions. Maybe I just have a weak system, but I ended up on the floor almost passing out. It was bad, for my body went into some sort of shook, from the loss of fluids normally in it. So they gave me some juice and cookies. Yet my advice for donating blood is to eat a healthy meal beforehand, and make sure it includes protein. Try to avoid caffeine, too, as it makes it harder for the nurses to find a vein, whereas you should be well hydrated before the appointment. Just relax during the proceedure, and you should be fine though. Everyone reacts differently, and maybe you can take donating blood better than I can. They should give you some juice or snacks afterwards to replace the fluids lost, too. Yet I am scared to donate my body fluids, blood or plasma, due to my fear of needles and of passing out cold on the floor from loss of blood or other fluids.
@ksmita (515)
hi. thanks for the tips.. i will sure follow them. every body reacts differently. even after having the fear of needles , you went to donate, thats great. i son't have fear of needles, only problem is my vein is gone deep and its hard for the doctors to find it!!! i hope they will do something about it. take care.
@GADHISUNU (2164)
First the receiving organizations' doctors will check with you about your health and the presence of any ailments, esp. the infectious ones like Hepatitis A, B etc., Likewise they will check your BP, weight too. Only when they find you are fine they would draw blood. On your part in order that you are unaffected by the operation you must insist on using a fresh hypodermic needle, opened right in front of you. Other than that I don't see any precautions required. Once you are through with the donations, you need to rest for sometime say 15 minutes before you get up and walk or drive.
Good for you! Generally I don't think there is anything you need to prepare for at all. I have never given blood before (I have a bit of an issue with needles)but my younger sister has done it many times before.
@jbaunillo (258)
hi! that's really a heroic job. bloodletting and one person survives. i think before donating blood, your vital stats should be all normal. like your blood pressure, heart condition and even your weight.
hi ksmita I cannot donate blood as because they always ask on a questionarie if you have had hepatitis and if you say yes, and of coursee I will not lie, they will say you do not qualify. So I just do bother any more as they do not want my blood although its been many years since I had hepatitis . I guess something might stay in my lood that is not so good and could give someone hepatitis but Idoubt it would stay in my bloos all these years.
@BluRu06 (35)
Don't take any over the counter medications, they ask you. If you've had a tattoo or percing recently they frown on that, but otherwise the techs are usually great and sometimes you'll get a cookie or juice at the end!