Does your cat talk to you? How?

@pandaeyes (2068)
My cat has little 'phrases' or 'words' that he uses. He has his 'hello' sound when we first get up in the morning, it sounds so like the word 'hello' it is a bit creepy. Then his 'where are you' call,if we are not in the room when he comes in or even sometimes at night which is quite doleful and lonely sounding. There is his budgerigar chirrup which is a bit like a purr and a hum mixed together which he uses when he is happy. He also his his 'out' word which really means 'let me through the door' because he uses the same word for coming inside. Does your cat speak too? What sort of 'words' and sounds mean something to you?
@irisheyes (4372)
My cat opens his mouth and trys to talk to me all the time but nothing comes out. At one point I took him to a vet and told the vet there was something wrong with his meower. When she lifted him and put him on the table, he let out the loudest meow you ever heard but that was one of the last times he made a sound. At home, he just doesn't talk. He's healthy and happy in all other ways and this has now gone on for years so I don't worry about it anymore.
@pandaeyes (2068)
Ah,maybe he is a whisperer. He keeps his big miaows for alarm bells. He sounds lovely trying to mew with a silent voice.
@jennybianca (12913)
One of my two cats "talks" too. I dont think I could describe it as well as you. She has this funny little miow type squeak. For instance, when I let her oput the front door and she is taking her time about it, she squeaks at me. This can also happen when she is walking down the hallway with me or waiting for her food. She has a very different "talk" when she has caught a mouse. She comes to my front door and does this really weird miow. She keeps up this urgent sound until I come and look at what she has caught. My mother had a cat years ago that talked very loudly. My parents were always convinced that he was trying to tell them something.
@pandaeyes (2068)
My mother in laws tom cat would call out really clearly when he wanted to go out. It sounded exactly like 'OwwwwT' in a big long wail. Once we were passing cat sitting on a wall, my daughter loves cats and said 'hello pusca'! and the cat said 'hello' in such an oddly human way,we were amazed. We didn't have our own cat back then and were startled at how human it sounded but I have heard my own cat almost saying 'hello' too since then.
Well, I am now at a grand total of two weeks of being a cat owner. In the two weeks since we've gotten Cornbread, I can tell that there are different tones that he uses when he is purring but I won't go so far as to say that he is talking to us. He has this way of using a really sweet sounding meow when he is wanting something from us. When the kids are being honory with him he has a more shrill tone that he uses.
@pandaeyes (2068)
aw cornbread LOL Ours has so many names . He has his 'real' name and then he has every derivative of that name and a few that are just descriptions. My daughter sometimes calls him oily slick because he can spread out to fill every gap on the settee just like he is a big black puddle.
@kaylachan (4775)
My cats have their share of meows. I'm still trying to figure out some of the ones Chinnia does. In fact she did this real high real long meow/cry type sound today. As she did this, she was looking at me. I would reach down and pet her, she'd stop, purr, and then as soon as it stopped she started up again. This cycle continued for about five minutes. I had to go get the laundry so I had to stop. She also has this sound she sometimes makes when she's happy. Aside from the very strong feel of her purr, she makes this sound that sounds like a cross between a bark and a meow. If I didn't know better, it was either her trying to bark like a dog, are burp. I don't know what it means, but its kind of cute. I usually tease my partner George about it sometimes, claiming that sound our cat Chinnia thinks she's a dog. Now I don't know how true this is, but to her it must be. The way she distroyies lose paper are cardboard only adds to it. Now my cat Precious, he has his meow that alerts me he wants food, and he has his playful meow/grunt/purr sound too. Both are cute sounding within themselves. He'll also howl if he feels particurally lonly sometimes. Then of course his purring can be rather loud. George hates Preciou's purring at night because he claims it wakes him up.
@pandaeyes (2068)
There were two Siamese cats in the vets when we were there. Thy make an enormous meowing . It is quite bold too and insistent like they are giving orders.
Moomin is a very chatty cat. He calls me *Mum* when he wants food or fuss and *Out* when he needs to go outside. He will curl up next to me and demand fuss with a little *chirrup* and when he wants more fuss I'm sure he says *More Mum*
@pandaeyes (2068)
He is quite talkative then. I like 'moomin',is it from 'moomintroll'? My mother in law had one cat that was allowed outside,he would call 'ououout' in a big wail until the door was opened. She had 5 other cats that were only ever allowed indoors and I don't remember any of them really making any kinds of sound apart from purring.
@Anne18 (11034)
Our catmeows when he comes in and out the back door, as if he is saying thank you. As we haven't got a cat flap. He also jingles the back door key when he wants to go out, we say he is ringing his doorbell Cats can be very clever