why should i go for linux or windows

@1anurag1 (3580)
there are basically two rivals.Linux and windows. with whom you are? why n what are the benefits of using the linux or windows.share your views
@Vick77 (486)
• Mexico
The advantage of using Linux is that it's open source software, and most of the distros are free to use, in counter of the Microsoft software that is proprietary, and so expensive. You can use a CD of linux without install it on the hard drive, its called liveCD, and this don't touch anything on your hard drive, and of course you have the option of install it on the HDD too. You can install both in a dual boot configuration, and each time you boot your PC you can choose to boot with windows or whit Linux as you need or wish.
• Brazil
Windows: Is simple than linux. And some usual softwares are only available for windows. Like powerful editing tools, like Adobe's programs. Linux: Don't need anti-virus and is sometimes faster than windows. And is good for who like to code anything.
@topffer (38992)
• France
Disney studios and Dreamworks are using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator in a Linux environment with vmware. Adobe Reader is directly available for Linux.
• Brazil
Oh, nice. I didn't knew it. I'm not that linux user, haha. I had to unninstall my linux because I was in need of this softwares, and now... Have the solution, thanks. :)
@clipsal (160)
What I am getting at here is that Linux is great for those who are willing to take the time to learn the program, pick out and install a GUI they like (this may take a while!), and prefer choice over simple usability. Windows is easy to learn, easy to run, and does not demand a lot from its users. This OS is appropriate for a majority of the general public who simply want something that runs right out of the box with little configuration. People also want universal compatibility, and don't want to have to deal with constantly modifying their OS. Price wise, Linux is super cheap compared with Windows. For advanced users who have the desire to modify their OS, Linux is the by far the best choice. If you don't have the time or knowledge, however, stay with Microsoft Windows for the time being, and be sure to download all updates and security patches as often as possible!
@topffer (38992)
• France
I think that you have not try Linux since a long time : I have not installed a GUI in Linux since the 90's. Even the smallest distros are offering today 2 or 3 desktop interfaces, and you have just to choose a pre-installed version of your prefered GUI. Look at PCLinuxOS : you can choose between 7 different GUIs. Some distributions like Mint and Ubuntu are popular because you don't have to learn to use them, and it's easier to install a new soft in these than in Windows : the computer searches online for the software you want, gets it and installs it. There is a problem with drivers for new devices, because manufacturers are not making drivers for Linux, and you have to wait for them until they are developed by the Linux community (2 or 3 months for a new printer). In the other side, if the manufacturer doesn't update its drivers for a new version of Windows, you must change your material : I bought for nothing a very good scanner working fine in Linux, because there were no drivers available for Vista
• Bulgaria
Linux-if you're a programmer then you should choose Linux. Windows-it is used for anything.In my opinion Windows is not as protected as Linux. Benefits-I think Windows is more comfortable than Linux. I'm using Windows XP and I have no problems.
• Portugal
it really depends on what you want to do with your machine and what applications you want to run. Someone has already said that you can dual boot your machine. I'll add that you can also install one and use a virtual machine for the other.
Windows is the most universally used operating system and for that reason there are rarely any issues that can be found with software compatibility. Of course, the best thing about windows is also its downfall. Because of the fact that Windows is so universally used, it is also highly susceptible to viruses. Linux is the superior operating system in terms of how susceptible it is and also how smoothly it runs, but there are many different programs that aren't compatible.
• United Arab Emirates
I like windows cos it's user friendly interface
@anurag3786 (6273)
I think if you want more security then Linux is the best options for you than windows.. but i think there is some difficulty to working with Linux.. because in Linux all working are done through commands... but in windows their is no problem to working with that.. have a nice day and keep mylotting always...