Grandma's Sauce

I can remember that every time my grandma served meat for dinner (Chicken,beef,pork etc) it was always sitting right next to the plate of meat it was her homemade meat relish ( green tomatoes,red apples,onions,green pepper,red pepper and seasoning). Man, it was YUMMY and it realty brought out the flavorer of the meat. . She would make some up when she was in her canning season. I can make this relish myself but for some reason it just not as good as granmas. I know that many of us have some wonderful memories of our gandmas and if you would like to share with us a memories of your Grandma you made do so. Take care Snow
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
My grandmother doesn't cook anymore, but I remember when she used to cook. When I was younger and it was a holiday I would always go over to her house before anyone else, or mostly before anyone else had. My dad would drop me off, or my grandfather or grandmother would pick me up. I'd watch my grandmother cook, help a little bit when I could, was the taste tester and everything. I think I'd pitch a fit if I didn't get to go, but usually if I didn't get to go it was because I was grounded for whatever reason. In any case, I remember staying up late and watching television with my grandmother, or if I didn't stay up late I went to sleep and she'd wake me up when ever The Commisioner was on. Hmm there's lots of memories really.
good morning somecowgirl! Those are wonderful memorizes to have. Thanks for stopping by and joining in on this discussion. Take care Snow
@cream97 (29163)
Hi, snowqueen2000802. I know that this was a very yummy yummy dish. When my dad's mother was living, she used to cook a really delicious dish. She would cook pork n beans and sausages together. It was mixed with rice. It was so delicious. I tried to cook the same dish, but it just did not taste as good. Hers tasted homemade and old fashioned. I don't know how my grandmother used to cook this, but I loved it. Your grandmother's dish sounds very yummy. I love onions and peppers. What a tasty recipe! Enjoy!
Hi cream97 Thanks for your kindness. We are so luck to have Grandma's that could cook delicious meals. Just wish that when I cook a recipe of hers that it would turn out as good as hers. Thanks for stopping by. Take care Snow
@lilybug (21145)
I have a lot more memories of my maternal grandmother than of my paternal grandmother. I have lots of food memories of my maternal one. When I was a kid and I would go stay a night or two with her in the summertime she would go out to the garden and pick a watermelon and we would sit in the kitchen eating watermelon till we were both about to burst. She made wonderfully delicious black raspberry pies and her fried potatoes were the best. My kids love them the way she used to make them too and they request them often.
Hi lilybug, what lovely memories you have. I can just see you both eating watermelon. That's sweet and funny. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and join in on this discussion. Take care Snow
@ANTIQUELADY (36468)
My 'Bigmama' was my rock all my life & i miss her very much. I can cook things like she did but they never taste as good as hers did. She was a wonderful cook.
you know we both have something special because we have someone very special to look up to. Todays children don't have that. Which is very sad. Grandma was my rock and when she lifted this world a part of me when with her. Thanks for stopping by Snow
@debsgw (256)
One of my grandma's was a great cook and the thing I remember about her is that she never had to weigh anything. She was able to continue cooking for years after starting to lose her sight because she just used to go by the feel of the pack in her hands as she sprinkled the ingredients into her baking as she always had, and she just knew where the dial should go on the oven even when she couldn't read the numbers any more. She was incredible that way. Both of my grandma's were great fun to be around and would really throw themselves into childish things with me as long as no-one else was around to see - I remember my dad coming in one day and hearing my gran and I laughing and messing about but because she stopped what we were doing before he made the living room and had rushed to do something normal like put the kettle on, he was convinced my neighbour had just left out the back door :)
Hi debsgw I enjoyed reading your reply and it put a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Thanks for stopping by Take care Snow
@johnpillai (2082)
My grandma reads a lot. As my mother was a working a lot I had to spent much time with my grandma. After preparing lunch she used to read. So i also read with her. She also spent a lot of time in saying prayers. i got these two things from my grandma. So I always remember these two things.
Hijohnpillai That is simply wonderful and I know that it prepared you for life. It's delightful to have someone that dear to you, in your life. I was with my grandma a lot, because my mom was always sick. We read the bible and prayed a lot. Even though Grandma is know longer with me; her teachings and loving arms are a round me. Oh ya, I can't for get her cooking. DELICIOUS Thanks for taking the time to stop by and join in on this discussion. Take care Snow
@se7enthbird (8324)
i dont cook, and i dont have anything to share like that for my mother is a better cook than my grandmamas (no offense). i eat my share of pork as is, i dont eat raw veggies har har har. but my wife enjoys eating any meat including fish with side relish as like the one you shared. i will tell her to make one of these for i know she will enjoy this with any meat. thanks for sharing this relish of your grandma.
Hi se7enthbird, That is also funny, because my Mother could not cook. My grandma's meat relish was very mouthwatering and scrumptious. I don't know why mind doesn't come out like hers. Maybe, she had the touch . Thanks for talking the time to stopping and join in on this discussion. Take care Snow
@besthope44 (12141)
Thats nice to hear..my granny she does all nice sweets.I like her way of making them.