Should I let my employer know that I *might* be starting a 2nd job this month?

United States
July 6, 2010 1:39pm CST
Here's what I'm trying to do, my plan is to get a part-time or full-time 2nd job and switch to on-call/per diem at my current 1st job. I had a brief initial interview with this 2nd job that I want, last week. Today they called me for a more in-depth follow up interview for tomorrow. So I have a feeling maybe, if all goes well during this interview, maybe they'll put me in an orientation for next week(?) I don't know. But the problem is I'm trying to make the transition at my current job smoother. We get our schedules 2 weeks at a time and they put them out bi-weekly, so any changes/time requests have to be put in prior to the publishing of the schedule. The next schedule at my current job that gets published is for the rest of the month of July and its going to be up either tomorrow or Thursday. Any advice on what I should do to make this transition easier? Should I just come out and tell them "Hey I might be switching to on call soon because I'm starting a second job", I mean I don't think that would be good practice would it?
3 people like this
12 responses
• United States
6 Jul 10
This will all depend on how open your boss is to you going to an on call basis. If the boss knows that you have been looking for other opportunities then it may not be so bad. But if this comes as a complete surprise to him/her they may tell you your services are no longer needed. The best advice I have is go to him/her and let them know you may potentially need to switch out your schedule for the next couple of weeks. Give as few details as possible and hope they do not ask too many questions.
• United States
6 Jul 10
Sleepy, At my job there's a lot of people working per diem. There's full time people, part time, and per diem people all at my job. So I don't think they would have an issue if I were to go per diem, what I'm concerned is when to tell them all of this because my 2nd interview is tomorrow and I don't know what's going to happen after that? For all I know I could be starting orientation on Monday, who knows. But tomorrow (or Thursday) is also the day that the new schedule for the rest of July gets published. One thing I could probably do is request the last week of July or the week before completely off (it's been done before at my job) just as a precaution. But I would have to do this before today is over though.
• United States
6 Jul 10
Most new employers will understand that you need to give a notice at your current job also. I know that when I interview I will ask, when are you available for work? If they are currently employeed I look for them to tell me two weeks, otherwise I have to question would they simply walk out on my position also. Taking the 2nd week off may be a good plan as that way you could state you were already off that week and it would only be a 1 week delay in your being able to start.
• United States
6 Jul 10
Sleepy, Ok I just put in to request the week before the last off, its currently pending. I see your point but then again there are some jobs where I responded saying I would like to give my current job 2 weeks notice even though they needed someone to start the following week so they told me they'll call me and guess what they never did. So sometimes theres employers out there who don't really care what you do with your current job, its as if they have a kind of dog eat dog-like attitude almost. At the initial interview for this 2nd job I'm trying to get, I was asked that question and I replied as soon as impossible. He did not further question me and ask me if I'm going to give 2 weeks notice. Maybe he will ask me at this second interview tomorrow? I could always say something like "What I meant was I'm willing to start as soon as possible, but with 2 weeks notice given to my current employer", what do you think? As for my first job, if they ask me why I'm taking the week off or why so many days off, I could always say I'm doing volunteer work that week in a hospital. My current job is in the health field after all, so I would hope that they would be okay with that?
@prinzcy (33101)
• Malaysia
7 Jul 10
In my opinion, I think you need to talk to your first job boss. If the first job require you to be full time, it depend on him to let you be on the on call basis. It's hard to say whether he will agree or not. Also, it's a work ethique or professional to talk over. But you need to confirm you get the second job first before you make the move.
• Philippines
7 Jul 10
Hi, You should inform them, so that you can do proper turnover of the task that you are doing. It would be harsh for them if you will just leave them without any advanced notice.
@Cutie18f (9559)
• Philippines
7 Jul 10
Put everything into writing. Whatever your plans are, like if you intend to do part-time work in your current job, then you must express that in your letter. If they are not open to the idea of you doing bit job with them, then you have to make a decision and file a formal resignation letter.
@p3ks626 (6545)
• Philippines
7 Jul 10
I was in the same situation 2 weeks ago. I didnt tell my boss in my primary job that I already found another job and that I will be working there after 2 weeks. Even though there was another job waiting for me, I didnt quit my primary job because I found out that it was not really suited for my schedule. I think there's also an advantage of not telling the boss but it depends on the situation.
@dragon54u (31620)
• United States
7 Jul 10
Unless your second job interferes with the first, it's none of their business and you should keep quiet. Your first loyalty should be to your first job--if the schedule of the second interferes with the first you should look for another second job. If you need to switch to on call status, tell them but if I were you I wouldn't let them know you have other employment.
@SomeCowgirl (32210)
• United States
7 Jul 10
Given the circumstances, no I don't think that'd be a good idea. Though your at a dilemma, you're darned if you and your darned if you don't. You don't wanna come out and say "I'm going to be on call" UNLESS your sure they'll let you have it. You COULD say... "Due to the economy I am in need of a second employ, I've been searching, but would love to stay with this company, is there anyway you can put me "on call" so I may still be of assistance to you?" meh I don't even know if that is good. You don't want to make it seem like the company you work for is "suckish" lol, and you want to keep this first job SO I guess you best know what to say and how to say it as you know what kind of work you're in and how you stand with your bosses... Good Luck and sorry I could not be of more assistance.
7 Jul 10
Speak to your boss- try to catch them in a good mood. Most employers appreciate being told, and a friend of mine was open with her boss and got a small pay rise out of it. If you leave it to the last minute it may look bad so give them some time to work around your new commitment.
@maean_19 (4657)
• Philippines
7 Jul 10
You need to. It is his right to know the changes of your schedule. Perhaps, he may support you on that when you tell him Nowadays, we need to have part time jobs to earn more. As long as your contract with your first job does not prohibit second jobs, then go for it and tell him.
• India
7 Jul 10
hi,I am Amit and participating in this forum for the first time.The discussion started by you was quite appealing because I have a real life experience on this issue.Well,I have successfully worked in two different companies at the same time without any of my employers knowing it by managing my schedule.In 2008 immediately after completing my M.B.A.(Marketing),I was employed as a Sales Executive in a very reputed financial company.The targets were very high and the salary was moderate to say the most.After a few months of service, I received a call from HR DEPT.of an equally reputed company for a walk in interview in which I made it easily.Here the salary was also good and the target also equivalent so I joined it.I managed my time successfully for almost six months attending one sales meeting here and missing one there.In the beginning it was a dream run with income from both sources but slowly I came to realise that I have to resign from one company as the workload increased considerably and important sales meetings began to be held in both companies at the same time.So I settled for the best option and doing great here.Even though my employers never came to know of my double setting,I would advise you to take your boss (of course,if he is good natured and understands your problem or conversely,if he is equally or more frustrated than you),into confidence and tell him that you are seriously fishing for a better opportunity.Believe me,this will benefit you in the long run.
@LouieWpHs04 (4556)
• United States
6 Jul 10
Yeah, I would say it's best to let your current employer know about your 2nd job and it's hours, and your new employer know about your current job and it's hours. so that there is no conflicting schedules(perhaps working the two different jobs that happen to coincide with eachothers time slots.) Also explaining to your first job and you 2nd job your plan for holding both jobs. As in, what you said in the first sentance.
@connierebel (1561)
• United States
6 Jul 10
I think it would be best to let your current employer know what's going on. If you are unsure about whether or not you will get the second job, then just tell your first boss that there is a possibility that you will have to take some time off, and possibly switch to per diem, but you're not sure yet. That way it will not come as a complete surprise if your second job won't let you give two weeks notice. If they really appreciate your work at your current job, they should be OK with the possibility of your switching to per diem.