My Fair Weather Friends

I know the world is full of them and well they will never run out in number I guess. But let's face it, it's irritating when you get one right under your nose. I have this friend who calls me when he needs something like help with this and that, and out of the goodness of my heart and for friendship's sake I help. There were many favors I did for him (oh he is not my bf but my bff's bf) and there was this point in time last month when I had to call him and ask for his help because that was my last resort. What happened? He kept telling me I'd call you and never really bothered to. Twice he said he would call and twice I waited and the call never came. I just gave up and told my bff to just never bother. I must admit I feel sour about him right now, at least he could have called me and told me that he could not help me rather than keep me waiting for nothing. Has this ever happened to you? How did you feel?
I think that this sort of thing happens to all of us at least one time in our lives. It has happened to me too many times and that is actually a big part of the reason that I've decided that I am not going to help other people at all anymore. You see, I try to be as generous as I can toward my friends, but it seems to me that when the tables are turned, the outcome is quite different. That is the reason that I've really changed the way that I am toward my friends.
@Angelgirl16 (2174)
Hi candfairy21, I love the title,"My Fair Weather Friends." I have heard that before, but I have to admit that I haven't experienced any such friends since high school. I am sure there are still plenty of them still around. You seem to have a friend who thinks of what others can do for him, but when it is his turn to give back he is not available to lend a friend a helping hand. He truly is a (fwf) you could do without. You have a kind heart, willing to help a friend in need. However, you will have to decide whether this friend is worth your time. Maybe he needs a taste of his own medicine. In other words, when he calls you for your assistance with some problem that he is having, you are not available. Maybe doing this a few times will let him know how it feels when his friend is never available to help him when he needs help. Good Luck
@syankee525 (6293)
way too often to me, my brothers are good for this. always call and ask me to do this or that. my older brother always want me to drop whatever i am doing. when i ask him for help yeah never have time or he complains. like the last thing i ask since he was up by my house if he could help to carry my deck upstairs and he complain, and it took him 5 min. lol. but it like i learned even if your friend dont return the help it will come back to you in a different way and different people. plus it makes me feel good to help out.
@deve_annrn (1856)
well..there are a lot of fair-weather friends out there...they're only there when you are at your happy moments and eventually leave you when the glory days are over..for instance.., when your famous and rich.., they're always beside you but as life changes and you are no longer who you used to be...they are nowhere to be found..that's sad... i had a lot of friends who were like that.. i value my friends.. i always try to help when they need me.. but when i am the one who is in need.., they have a lot of alibis...it makes me sad...=(