Should the guy be the only one to propose?

Malaysia
Is it okay for the lady instead to kneel and ask will you marry me, popping the ring? Since the man will be the head of the family, do you think it's only becoming that he should be the one to pop the question? Is it inappropriate for a lady to ask a guy out?
@salonga (27834)
Well as far as tradition is concerned and as far as modesty dictates, it should be the man and not the woman who should propose. But nowadays I've seen many women breaking this tradition. They are not the ones proposing to the guy. My goodness, I really can't understand. The world has really turned upside down. I wonder if any guy would ever fall in love to such kind of woman.
@suni51 (3270)
Come on Salonga, if a woman ever did that to me, I would take it by all means, I mean if there is such a woman who thinks that much about me, I must respect her feelings all the more.
I don't really understand what modesty has to do with a woman asking her man to marry her. I think it depends on the way we view things growing up. What with tradition, social background, religion.. there are many things to take into account. But as for me, nothing's inappropriate if a woman asks the man.
@suni51 (3270)
Hi Dwsiree this does not sound with the going trend but that happens once in a while. Although this is not a common thing particularly going on the kennels. I guess a mutual consent in to the matter should be all right.
Surely mutual consent is a must but there is always one or the other who will initiate. In this whole marriage proposal thing it's usually the man who pops the question. :)
@katie0 (5211)
• Japan
Surely, if the girl can handle girlfriends and family talking about it cause I think they will. People can't see a 27 without boyfriend for example: keep pressuring when will she find love, a 35 woman that is childless: when will she have kids. So everything that is out of the ordinary and not because it's right, makes people take notice. But if she is okay and know she will be fine with this idea, she should go for it.
That is one interesting way to put it. That's why if it's right though out of the ordinary it's not wrong to do it anyway. I think we should defy convention :)
There is nothing wrong with a lady asking a man to spend his life with her. I think it is rather special if this were to happen. I never felt the need to do this.
Don't you think it's putting a lot pressure on the male population? Guys will likely think that their proposal must be romantic and they should do it as sweet as possible, because they know the ladies like it. But little emphasis is placed on what kind of husband ladies hope to have..