My finger gets swollen every week or so

Canada
January 9, 2013 4:24pm CST
The finger with my wedding rings gets itchy and swollen every week or so and I have to take off my rings for 2 days for it to heal. Not sure what is going on. I get one spot that kind of gets infected and I scratch until it bleeds sometimes. My rings are white gold. Could I be allergic to the rings or allergic to marriage. Lol just kidding about the allergic to marriage comment. And yes they are real white gold. I have the paperwork and insurance for them. I was there when we picked them out. So it is not a cheap fake metal doing it.
1 person likes this
11 responses
@jenny1015 (13366)
• Philippines
10 Jan 13
You should let the doctor see what kind of infection you are having on your finger so you'd be given a proper medication. If the ring is genuinely gold, then you should not have any reaction to it. How long have you been wearing your ring? Since when did this happen. Have you noticed what would be the exact time or situation that the itching and swelling starts? Have you been using a new lotion on your hand?
1 person likes this
• Canada
10 Jan 13
Had the ring for a few years now. As far as I can remember the itching starting right away. It is real gold costs 5500 so it better be real. I got all the paperwork with it at a reputable jewelry store. There is a small diamond on the inside of the ring and I think maybe it's that. Because yes I get itchy all around but it is more localized to the one small dot and that's where it gets a bump and bleeds. Could I be allergic to a diamond. That would suck.
• United States
9 Jan 13
White gold is made up of gold and other metals. Likely, your ring contains nickel, which is causing an allergic reaction. Of course, the way to be certain that this is the case and that you don't have some other health issue is to see your doctor.
1 person likes this
• United States
9 Jan 13
Of course, it is not necessarily a nickel allergy. You could be allergic to silver or platinum--both of which can be used in white gold. The only way to be certain of which metal sets off this reaction would be to consult an allergist.
1 person likes this
@jalucia (1431)
• United States
9 Jan 13
LOL... allergic to marriage? One day that's going to be a real medical condition. I would say that you could be allergic to the white gold. Or maybe you have something like psoriasis.
1 person likes this
@bingskee (5234)
• Philippines
10 Jan 13
hmmm... first time to learn of someone with a reaction to gold. i cannot give an answer if it's allergy or not. it's best to see a dermatologist.
@Renhard (3471)
• Jamaica
9 Jan 13
You could be allergic to something on the white gold. I think you should seriously talk to a doctor about it. Does the ring fit snuggle around your finger. Sometime if the ring is a little loose it might scratch your finger every now and then which then gets irritating. As for tight rings, the only effect I quite know about tight rings is lack of blood at the tip of your finger. My mother wears a tight ring but she never complain about the lack of blood. Any time she decides to take off the ring to clean it you usually see that her finger is sink in. The mark of the ring leaves a bright mark on her finger.
1 person likes this
@blummus (451)
• United States
10 Jan 13
It may well be the metal in the ring, especially nickel or copper. You might try some Benadryl or a NSAID like aspirin or ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and pain.
@stanley777 (9402)
• Philippines
10 Jan 13
Sorry to hear about your finger, maybe you are allergic to white gold or the components of the rings. The thought that your finger with the ring gets itchy every week is alarming. I guess the best you can do is consult a Dermatologist/skin specialist.
@SIMPLYD (90727)
• Philippines
10 Jan 13
Maybe you are allergic to your wedding ring. So rather than having them swell, don't wear the wedding ring anymore. What is important is you know that you are already married.
@toyota4k (1208)
• Philippines
10 Jan 13
The metal may not really be gold or one thing for sure you're allergic to that ring. There is no such thing as white gold but I would say that your ring is gold with more silver in it since pure gold is brown-like yellowish color.
@911Ricki (13588)
• Canada
10 Jan 13
You could be having an irritation. I know I tend to have this issue with jewellery whether it's fake or real.
@theoana (97)
• Romania
10 Jan 13
There is a point, you could be allergic to gold. But you should think for how long you've been having this problem. Otherwise, you may have some circulation problems, some problems related to the heart, related to the tension, that cause your fingers to get swollen. This happens to me at times, for medical reasons I suppose.