Debit Card or Credit Card - Which One Would You Prefer?

@amirev777 (3924)
As far as I am concerned, I would surely go for debit card, since I can only spend the amount that I own. Using credit card could lead to debt trap, since you are spending much more than what you actually own at that particular moment. Which one do you prefer, especially while shopping online?
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
Actually, even with a debit card you can over-spend if you don't keep track of your spending. Since it doesn't draw from your bank the very instant you use it, overdrawing your account is a definite possibility.
Thankfully my bank allows me to set limits. It is very handy.
@amirev777 (3924)
@myklj999 Fortunately my bank does not offer OD facility on my debit card.
@maximax8 (29605)
I prefer a debit card or using cash taken out of an ATM machine. I have begun to hate credit cards because they let me slip into debt. I used to buy a flight using a credit card and pay the debt off before my trip. I had a debit card which gave me fee free spending worldwide until 31st August 2017. Now the debit card which I can have now only allows free of fee spending in Europe. Turkey they think is outside Europe. I hate spending overseas on a credit card. It is easy to wander into credit card debt however it is challenging to walk out again and become debt free.
@amirev777 (3924)
@maximax8 Yes, using your credit card injudiciously can surely lead one to debt trap.
@dodo19 (37963)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I tend to go with my debit card. I try to only use my credit card for emergencies, when I absolutely need it.
I like using my credit card due to getting cash back for using it. I only use it on big purchases.
@amirev777 (3924)
@Corbin5 Yes, cash back benefit is surely one of the plus points of credit card. And as you have mentioned, it is quite prudent to use credit card for big purchases.
I prefer a debit card. I have mine set so that when it gets down to $200.00 it won't approve. It's a good way to keep me from overspending.
@mrki444 (6025)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
Debit card is my choice.
@Sojourn (6898)
I prefer debit card.