My cat is afraid of lightning and thunder

It was raining really hard last night with strong wind and thunder & lightning. It was time for my cat to feed. I was looking everywhere and couldn’t find him. I was a bit worried because the rain gets stronger. I asked help from mom because he’s nowhere to be found....after couple of minutes or so, I found him underneath the pile of pillows in my mom’s bed. He’s heart pounding and looks scared. I don’t know what to do because this is the first time I saw cat looking so afraid. So what I did was grabbed and hugged him.
@nawala123 (9698)
Mostly animal feel scared or botherrd eith loud sound
With my recent experience, I agree with you.
@nawala123 (9698)
@unsulliedcatt for bird pet, usually the cage is covered with cloth
@nawala123 it seems that tou have many pets/animals in your home you know these things... thank you for sharing.
@myklj999 (44372)
The only time a storm has bothered Scar was a few months ago when lightning hit really close to the house and the thunder was so loud and sudden that I jerked in my chair and he jumped out of the window he had been sitting in with a crazed look in his eyes
Does Scar’s behavior change after that? My cat’s acting weird the following morning.
@myklj999 (44372)
@unsulliedcatt Nope, he was fine about a minute later.
@cool83 (3297)
• Sri Lanka
I know most of the pets scared to thunder ..but i not have heard like in your case ..
Me too...this is the first time experiencing it.
@CarolDM (81581)
• Nashville, Tennessee
My cats are not afraid but I know many animals are. I had a dog once that hid under the bed when it thundered. Welcome myLot!
Oh poor dog... Thanks for welcoming me
@Janet357 (49791)
awww pets are afraid of thunder. even my chihuahuas shiver.
Which leaves us a bit worried, right? What do you usually do when they’re panicking?
@Thrilliana (12128)
My dogs are the same.. my little dog usually stay under my bed but the big one keeps on panthing.. what i do is close all my windows and put on loud music.. it sounds like we have a party inside my room haha
I’ve also experienced that with my dogs...especially New Year celebration.
Dogs don't like thunderstorms, either.
• Israel
@unsulliedcatt I am so glad you understood how hard it is for your cat when thunder and lightning happen. My cat I had before Sophie was outside one day and it was blue skies and then all of a sudden the lightning started so I ran out to get her. I put her inside me and talked to her the whole way inside. It was so hard for her.
I would freak out as well. My dogs were no stranger hiding from thunder.
@jayanth_77 (5933)
Dogs and cats don't like sound of thunder so they prefer to hide under the bed or chair or behind cupboard.