Many colleges in India dont have uniforms. Is it desirable?

Children after completing their higher secondary education go to colleges. While schools have uniforms which are compulsorily worn by the students, in colleges, in most cases there are no uniforms. Many colleges and universities feel that the students are matured enough to decide their dresses. Is it desirable?
@BloggerDi (2352)
I agree that colleges students have reached an age where they should be free to choose their clothing. However, college tuition is expensive and most are attending with specific goals. For those reasons, I think that a dress code is a good idea. Many companies have dress codes for their employees, regarding clothing that is revealing, distracting or controversial. Why not apply the same principals to university?
Thanks Diana, if the college does not bear costs, students have to pay from their pockets for their uniforms. But I agree if offices have uniform why not colleges?
@BloggerDi (2352)
@sathviksouvik I was not referring to uniforms, but a set of standards to follow. For example: they may not wear clothing with political or religious messages.
@BloggerDi Thanks Diana, whenever there are seminars in Law institutions the law students where white shirts and black pants.
@Deepizzaguy (36873)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I would prefer for colleges to have uniforms since a school that does not have a dress code will open up some students to wear clothing that have messages that might be offensive like a political message.
Thanks George, what is the position in your country? Are their uniforms in the colleges?
@Deepizzaguy (36873)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@sathviksouvik When I went to a Roman Catholic High School in Louisiana, there were uniforms to be worn on campus. Public universities do not have a uniform requirement..
@Deepizzaguy In India, some of the private engineering colleges have uniforms. But majority of colleges and universities have no uniforms.
@Adie04 (5296)
I think it's okay though. But we do have like corporate clothes.
Thanks Adie, great to know your view.
@Adie04 (5296)
@gr8nana6 (3147)
• Hamilton, Ohio
I agree with @BloggerDi maybe not uniforms but a required dress code.
Thanks Maria, many corporate officers in India have uniform.
@zandi458 (28125)
In my country it's free dressing for those in colleges and universities. I don't see the need to wear uniforms for adult students. Though its mandatory for those in lower forms to be in uniforms.
Thanks Zandi, in India majority of colleges and universities barring some dont have uniforms.
• Agra, India
I guess uniforms are fine only till we are on school. Colleges are too big for uniforms
Thanks Kokilji for your views.