849 New Cases on 7/31/20

@simone10 (51427)
I don't normally read or watch the news about covid-19 because it's so depressing. But when I hear something that catches my attention, I will research it to see if it's true and get needed information. I live in Kentucky and there were 849 new cases on 7/31/20 alone. There has been an average of 622 new cases every day over the past month. Ohio, Tennessee and Kentucky are some of the states that are being watched now because they are showing signs of things getting out of control like the southern states. I have a feeling that if new cases continue to rise, Kentucky will be shut down again. My brother mentioned last night that we may all be wearing goggles soon because they are saying there is the possibility of covid-19 being spread through the eyes. I researched and yes, this is a possibility but it's not common. They are saying the only way to be completely safe (besides staying inside), is to wear a mask along with goggles or a face shield that will protect the nose, mouth and eyes.
@arunima25 (42543)
• Bangalore, India
The situation is getting scary everywhere. We had lockdown twice. It controlled the situation a bit but as soon as it was lifted and businesses opened up, there was a spike again. Not sure what is the solution to it...businesses and life can not be on halt for too long.
@arunima25 that's just it, the LONGER people stay scared & the economy is on hold down the WORSE things will get as time goes on & then people come UNHINGED at the seems.
@arunima25 (42543)
• Bangalore, India
@hardtimes1958 Corona is a killer and has killed many. But there are side effects of corona..job loss, domestic abuse, hunger, depression and they all put together pose more threat to human than corona alone.
@arunima25 ye well we have CHINA to thank for all this mess.
A lot of people are wearing the face shields here as well, but they wear a mask under it for complete protection. I question how much protection the shields offer to our eyes, it cannot be a lot more then wearing a pair of glasses because they are open on the sides. I've always worn my glasses when I go out for protection. I think that some of areas that have cases increasing really need to stop the reopening and go back to the previous phases. Otherwise deaths are going to increase, and nobody wants that.
@simone10 (51427)
Julia, you are so right! I wear my glasses also, hoping the same as you. I have a feeling that we will soon be on some kind of lockdown soon. Maybe it's for the best right now.
@simone10 Its such a mysterious virus.
@simone10 (51427)
@Juliaacv Yes it is. I just pray that what they are saying about a vaccine after the first of the year is true.
@DocAndersen (26198)
We have to be careful and smart. I hope people realize that masks aren't for them, it is for all the people they love around them!
@simone10 (51427)
You are so right but people aren't realizing that for some reason.
@DocAndersen (26198)
@simone10 it is outside our box of normal.
@simone10 (51427)
@DocAndersen I think some people (not all) are just wanting to rebel.
@wolfgirl569 (32026)
• Marion, Ohio
I already have a clear face shield. But soon we will be anonymous and I think that is becoming the aim. Take a persons identity away slowly
@GreatMartin (15027)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
But if it saves your families life so what???
@wolfgirl569 (32026)
• Marion, Ohio
@GreatMartin What @WorDazza said. I am not one who can stay in like a little mouse waiting to sneak out.
@simone10 (51427)
I don't believe anyone is trying to take anyone's identity away. They are trying to save lives. If everyone who disagrees had a friend or family member get Covid-19 or die from it, they would be singing a different tune. This is one of those things that we have to agree to disagree.
I'm sorry it's on the rise in your state. We're rising too. We can only do what we can to try to stop the spread.
@simone10 (51427)
Yes, this is true. If everyone would only do what they can do too, maybe we wouldn't have a rise in cases. I don't know, but I am going to continue to do what I can to be safe.
@simone10 it just seems really fishy that the protesters can go & destroy property & tare up stuff with NO mask's, kill officers & do things but yet there's a Virus going on??
@simone10 I'm glad you will.
Maybe wrap oneself in a big poly bag.
@simone10 (51427)
It wouldn't surprise me if that is suggested one day.
@simone10 I would use a white colored polyethene.
@simone10 (51427)
@piyushbhatia1 I think I would have to pick purple as it's my favorite color
@moffittjc (87874)
• Gainesville, Florida
Sorry to hear that the number of cases are ticking upward in Kentucky. Here in Florida, we are experiencing over 1000 new cases every day. Florida and California are battling back and forth for the title of worst state in the country in terms of corona. It's really sad to see. I hope it starts leveling off soon. And the worst thing is they say we're not even in the second wave of COVID, that all of this is still part of the first wave. I'm not looking forward to the second wave in the coming fall/winter.
@simone10 (51427)
Jeff, in the same article about Kentucky, I read where Florida is having over 1000 new cases a day, so I really worry about your state. I worry about you too since you've already had it once. I agree, it is so sad. I have also heard that this is still part of the first wave and that the second wave will hit during flu season. It might be a good idea if everyone went on a lockdown before the second wave starts and maybe that would keep things from being so bad. I don't know, just guessing here.
@moffittjc (87874)
• Gainesville, Florida
@simone10 The University of Florida will be welcoming back over 60,000 students and 20,000 faculty at the end of this month. With so many people coming back into our town from all over the country, our city and county leaders are tossing around the idea of mandating a 2-week lockdown for the entire city and county once the students and faculty arrive, so that any of them carrying the virus can recover and not spread it around to everyone else. I think it's a good idea.
@simone10 (51427)
@moffittjc Yes, I think that is a wonderful idea! If not, I wouldn't want to know what would happen.
@Adie04 (8870)
849 figures really making me uneasy to even watch.
@simone10 (51427)
It does me too. The unknown is scary.
@Adie04 (8870)
@simone10 indeed
@WorDazza (14903)
• Manchester, England
I posted a response elsewhere about this so will only summarise here. Basically the number of new infections is a totally meaningless statistic on its own. For example if 10 people were tested and 1 person was found to have the virus that's a 10% hit rate. If the next day 100 people were then tested and 5 had it then that's a 500% increase in the number of infections but only a 5% hit rate. The total number of infections statistic looks disastrous but the overall positive tests per 100 people has actually halved. In other words, are more new infections being reported because more people are being tested?
@simone10 (51427)
I'm not even going to answer any of these comments. Come on people, it's okay to agree to disagree but no need for some of these comments.
@WorDazza (14903)
• Manchester, England
@simone10 I don't see an issue with any comments on this discussion. From my perspective I am following all of the guidelines as laid down by the UK government but I genuinely don't understand why some of them have been put in place for this virus when we don't do similar things to try to prevent deaths from other viruses. I have a right to ask the questions I'm asking because a lot of what is going on just doesn't add up.
@WorDazza GOOD answer.
you said you live in KY, what part? you can pm me if you want.
@simone10 (51427)
I live in Louisville Kentucky.
@simone10 hum? wonder how far that is from Danville Ky?
@simone10 (51427)
@hardtimes1958 I don't know. You could probably look it up online.
I do follow the news and have seen the rise in your state and others. That’s due to many people vacationing and returning home. Any virus can get into your eyes. That’s why we should never touch them with our hands. Anyway, a mask protects us and others. A face shield must be fitted well to the head and is best for those who work with large groups of people including teachers.
@simone10 (51427)
I agree with you Dianne. I wear glasses, so I hope that protects my eyes somewhat. I don't know about face shields but if it came down to that or goggles being the only way to keep it from spreading, I would do it. My dentist wears a thick mask, then another mask on top of that and then also wears a face shield. I know it has to be uncomfortable for her but it makes me feel safer.
@simone10 If I had to do your dentist's work, I would do the same.
@sophie09 (20579)
Oh no this is scary :(
@simone10 (51427)
I agree, it is very scary.
@sophie09 (20579)
@thelme55 (48232)
OMG! That is indeed scary.
@simone10 (51427)
It is very scary and I really dread the flu season when the second wave is supposed to hit.
@fluffy69 (4434)
the situation here in our country was still more new cases
@simone10 (51427)
New cases seem to be going on everywhere now.
@GreatMartin (15027)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Reading some of the comments below---sad!
@simone10 (51427)
Yes, it is very sad but as much as we would like to, we can't change someone's opinion. All we can do is make sure we do the right thing. Believe me Martin, I totally agree with you and what you have said.
Cases keep going up here in MI too. I go back to work the week after next, unless the Governor shuts more things down again. They say it's rare to get it through the eyes because it has to travel further that way.
@simone10 (51427)
Yes, it is uncommon to get it through the eyes but it has happened. I'm sorry that cases are going up in MI too.
@JohnKu (2605)
I heard about how a doctor (or someone who is working in medical industry) infected with Covid through his eyes when he traveling by airplane. It's really hard to avoid this virus.
@simone10 (51427)
I've heard that too. It's just so scary even though I read that it is uncommon to get the virus through the eyes.
It is getting way too scary
@simone10 (51427)
It is getting scary, and we still have a second wave that is coming.
@Janet357 (54867)
it is getting worse and worse;((
@simone10 (51427)
Yes it is and it's supposed to get worse when the second wave happens.
@nela13 (35481)
• Portugal
Oh my... be careful, the virus is dangerous and spread very easily.
@simone10 (51427)
We are being very careful. I have a feeling that we will be on lock down before long.
@nela13 (35481)
• Portugal
@simone10 Just go out if you really need it.
@simone10 (51427)
@nela13 Yes, we don't go out unless it's necessary. My brother is still working, so he has to come in contact with the people he works with.