I pity the kid but...

By eds
@ZedSmart (12276)
There's this boy who stand by at the parking area of the building where our office is located. Not only he waited for a car to park that he could look after for an amount of money but he would also ask every passerby for food or any monetary value. I feel pity and tempted to give but I think that if I do so, it would become habitual. I do not intend to be selfish and mean but it would be nice if the parent could look after and provide the needs of their children. What should I do? If I will feed the boy once, it's temporary. Should I contact the social welfare's office so that they can provide help?
you could let him hustle for money since it seems he is not breaking into the cars. If he is old enough to work he is learning his way through life. Not every situation people see a person needs saving from. You never mentioned if this was a young child. In that case, you should find his parents before anything.
@ZedSmart (12276)
I think the kid is between 10 or 12 years old.
@ZedSmart Oh that would be the age I would say he knows where he lives. But if he is not bothering your car you can rest knowing he might be living with parents that are struggling.
@ZedSmart (12276)
@sharon6345 He's trying to earn from the pennies given to him by the car owners for looking after their cars. He must be a resident of a nearby village.
Perhaps you can ask for more information about him.
@ZedSmart (12276)
7h
I never spotted the kid for few days now.
4h
@ZedSmart I guess he was being reported now. I think it is for his own good.
Getting social services to help the boy is the best option. He needs to be taken off the street.
@ZedSmart (12276)
7h
Yes, I agree. He should not be left by his parents wandering off the streets.
1h
@ZedSmart so have you reported the matter yet?
@Hytton03 (716)
You can give food , so he save his money.
@ZedSmart (12276)
Yes, even if it's not regularly.
@Hytton03 (716)
@ZedSmart it's fine.
@louievill (27516)
I think it would be wise to call social welfare if like me you live in Metro Manila. It's still not allowed for children that age to be out on the street because of the pandemic. I think the parents will also have liabilities, it would be good if they are summoned so they would go back to their prime responsibility of taking care of their children.
@ZedSmart (12276)
You are right. Minors are not permitted to roam around and stays outside during this time. He may have an eye for the authorities so that he may not be questioned and possibly arrested. Yes, the parents should be held accountable but I think the boy would just want to survive. I'm not sure but the boy looks no harm. This is a common scenario but I don't like those street children become a gang and then involve in a street fight with another gang.
@louievill (27516)
@ZedSmart minors don't go to jail in our country, it would most probably be DSWD and the Barangay who would accompany and or summon them to be lectured, the parents/guardian would probably be given a first warning.
You could talk to him and find out a lot. Then you decide
@ZedSmart (12276)
He would ask for food at me most of the time but if he earns from the car owners who park, he could afford at least to buy for his meal. Thanks for the suggestion.
@JimBo452020 (26749)
• Montrose, Scotland
The last sentence of your post That's what I would do. You could give him something to eat if only to find out his name etc
@ZedSmart (12276)
I would like to think that he has still a parent but perhaps not able to provide his needs so he's doing this for himself to be able to survive.