The Happiness Project and What Do You Do for Fun?

I have been reading a book by Gretchen Rubin called, "The Happiness Project." I don't know if any of you have ever read it, but it's one woman's search to add more happiness to her life and to share her findings with others. This book launched Gretchen Rubin off into a very successful career. Each month throughout the book she picks different things to work on. During the month I have been most recently reading about, one of the things she is focusing on is adding more fun to her life. She had to do a review of her life to see what she does in her life that would qualify as "fun." So I decided to review my own life and try to figure out what I do that I consider fun. And I am not talking about things that make me happy (like drinking french vanilla coffee), or that bring me pleasure (like creating art), but things that are just really fun...with joy and thrilling moments, satisfaction and happiness all rolled into it. So here's what I came up with for me: 1) Thrift Store Shopping: I love to take a day or even a few hew hours, and just walk into a thrift store and hunt for deals, and then I sell them on eBay. Once in a while, I keep something for myself. I love the thrill of the hunt, and bringing home my treasures and looking them over, knowing how much I saved by buying them at a thrift store. 2) Coupon Shopping: Okay, you may have noticed a theme here. I just love to save money and the more I save, the happier I am. Especially when I have a stack of coupons, redeem them all in one trip, and can look at my receipt and see on that, and on the cashier's face, that I saved LOTS of money. It gives me a thrill AND makes me a bit giddy with joy. That is fun! 3) Playing Words With Friends II: I was never one to play video games or games on my phone. I used to think it was a waste of time. But I love to play Scrabble. My daughter downloaded Words With Friends II on my phone. And, I was hooked. I love the challenge of finding words with large scores and beating someone else that I know is very smart and a good player. I get a charge out of when I have a good move with a large score. Sometimes I think in the back of my mind that I am wasting time, but I also know that doing crossword puzzles is good for the brain, and keeping dementia away. So, I play it, and have fun, and feel good about keeping my brain challenged. Okay, your turn. Tell me what you do for fun in your life...
@Daelii (5757)
I haven't read that book but fully embrace living a life with joy in mind. I haven't been thrift store shopping in ages but it is something I am excited about doing again once my kids are vaccinated against covid! I love getting craft supplies there or at yard sales and turning them into gifts! I craft, I journal, I just try to live a simple life and do what I can to help others when I can. I keep a three good things journal where I write or draw things in it.
@Daelii That's a great journal to have. I have a gratitude journal and try to write 1 thing daily in it that I am thankful for.
@Daelii (5757)
@Kouponkaren That is a good thing to do! I tend to mix mine with scrapbooking and mementos! Like stickers and tags and just other things... because I like to create.
@CarolDM (138161)
Have nit read this one. Nature is a hobby of mine. And photography.
@CarolDM So do you photograph nature and combine both hobbies?
@CarolDM (138161)
@Kouponkaren Yes, I share a lot of my photos on here.
@CarolDM I look forward to seeing them. I am so new that I haven't figured out how to add photos yet. But I will. Right now I am just having too much fun interacting with everyone.
I love to linger over my morning coffee, that is my time of the day and I enjoy it. I love to cook and bake for my family, currently I have a batch of brownies in the oven to surprise my hubby with when he gets home from work. I still love to work, yes love is the word that I used to describe it. I have a wonderful workplace, although I work from home, I have a very supportive and fun group of people that I am privileged to work with every day. And I absolutely adore our granddoggie, Ellie. She seems to understand what I say and cocks her head to the side when I converse with her. And of course I love to myLot. I have met some wonderfully interesting a kind hearted people here, I look forward to interacting with them daily.
@Juliaacv My dog does that same head cocking when I talk to her. It's the cutest thing! That's great that you love your work. What kind of work do you do?
@Kouponkaren I work for a major bank, taking inbound calls for telephone banking. Surprisingly enough not everyone does online banking, so we've been quite busy since the pandemic as people have been encouraged to stay home, and we can do the majority of what the tellers can do-except for dispense cash of course.
@Juliaacv Well, I guess that is one of the few good things about Covud then. Maybe some of the customers who had never used online banking before will continue doing it after the pandemic is over?
@1creekgirl (25864)
I love to shop at retail stores and thrift stores, like you said I love finding a "treasure" although Covid restricted a lot of that. I keep a journal, read, and really like to cook more now than when I was younger.
@1creekgirl Yes you are right about that. Halfway through Covid, I started going back to the thrift stores about once a month. I donate a lot to a non-profit, and they really needed help with clothing so I just prayed before I went into the thrift stores that God would keep me safe and Covid free. It worked...He did!
@1creekgirl (25864)
@Kouponkaren Praise God for that!
• Midland, Michigan
Right now I mostly spend my free time here because I'm getting ready for a full remodel is my kitchen. So, I've been boxing things up as much as possible. I enjoy watching Grey's anatomy but I have to wait for it to air in Netflix from the season before since I don't have cable tv. I used to do a lot of reading but that was before I began working two jobs in a regular basis. And I like to blog although I've not kept up with that either.
@MarshaMusselman Full remodel on your kitchen? That sure doesn't sound like "fun" while it's going on. But I bet you will be happy with the results.
• Midland, Michigan
@Kouponkaren I'm excited with the idea. We're getting IKEA cupboards and I have to have everything removed by father's day.
@meowch (1999)
Once in a while, I act silly in the living room. I even pretend I’m a singer. I rap, dance to my awesome music playlist. And doing writing activities brings joy to my life. I enjoy watching birds. They just make my day brighter.
@meowch I enjoy watching birds also. But not pet birds. They freak me out a bit. I enjoy watching birds out in nature, like in my backyard, or on hikes.
@meowch (1999)
@Kouponkaren that’s awesome you like birds. I mostly love crows and seagulls. They are my favorite.
@mythociate (19016)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
The video-games that I like ... I think they're MMORPGs (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games), where I basically manage a team of fighters whom I send to meet other teams of fighters in endless battle tournaments. It's a little 'dopamine-boost' I get when my fighters win because I train them so heavily.
@mythociate Very cool. I know that dopamine boost you are talking about very well. It's what I get after I write a really good piece that I am proud of, or get a really good deal at a thrift store.
@mythociate (19016)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
@Kouponkaren or when you get a super-long sequence of matches in a match-3 game.
@kaylachan (21087)
I find this a bit hard to answer. I enjoy technology, but I also use i to make money. Which I consider work. The more money I can make the less has to come out of my disability check. So iI guess that's kind of fun. I like moments where I get everything done and I can just relax. So unwinding is fun. Because I don't have to think.
@Kaylachan They say if you love what you do for work, you will never work a day in your life. Sounds like you do.
@owstalaga (4623)
I have heard of that book but never read it. Now let's see what I do for fun... Play games online? Hahaha~ These days I don't seem to have much fun at all except from playing games on my phone or watching TV shows/movies online and eating. If I could stress eat I would but that would become expensive so nah.
@noni1959 (8238)
I enjoy camping, driving to new places around me to see (I'm in Oregon and it's full of wonderful places), reading, playing with my grandkids, browsing antiques, and hot coffee on the porch watching the sunrise or wrapped in a blanket watching the rain.
@cabuyogty (485)
I want to do watch my favorite funny youtube videos :)
@prinzcy (27717)
I love reading or watching videos on YouTube.
I have a few passions - cooking photography and gardening and all this keeps me merrily on my toes