Worst Morning of my Life.

United States
December 2, 2006 11:49am CST
This has to be the worst way I've ever been woken up in my entire life. But these were the exact words I was awoken with today: " Dawn get up and get your dogs outside and into one of the cars, the house is on fire! " Needless to say, it did not take me very long to get up, and get my dogs safely out of the house. Since my Mother already wrote a post about all of this for one of her yahoo groups. Instead of typing it all again, I'm just going to copy her post here. It's told through my Mother's eyes. This Mornings Chimney Fire, Important Information! Early this morning, there was a roar through the house, that sounded as if a truck was trying to burst through the houses walls. The house began to fill with smoke, so my husband and son went outside to check the chimney. Smoke was roaring from the top, and we realized that we had a chimney fire. I called the fire department, and woke up my daughter. We rushed the dogs outside, and put them safely into the cars. When I went back into the house to check and make sure we had all of the dogs, I closed the dampers on the stove. I think that helped calm the fire down, losing the oxegyn that was feeding through it. We stood outside waiting, three firetrucks and an ambulance came. We were all a little embarassed because the smoke wasn't as thick and ominous looking as it had been. But we're thankful they came, because there -was- a fire in the chimney. They took apart our woodstove, and got the fire out. It took an hour to get everything settled. When they were done, the head of the group came out to tell us what had happened. He said our chimney was quite beautiful, and very clean. What had started the fire, is that my father used to have a fire place here, rather than a wood stove. When he put the woodstove in, he never took out the large damper for the fire place. The man said that people to this day, STILL do this, and it causes MOST Chimney fires. So if you have a fireplace, and decide to install a woodstove instead, always be sure to take the damper out of the fireplace before installing the woodstove. It's quite dangerous, as the debris will continue to fall onto it, until it finally catches fire.
5 responses
@Aeval39 (774)
• United States
2 Dec 06
That's horrible! I'm glad no one got hurt and you got all the people and animals out on time. Is the house okay? Did you lose anything? I hope not. My friend had a fire in his house when no one was home and his whole house and all his belongings were destroyed. Another friend lost three cats in a fire. I'm glad things turned out better for you. ...On another note, the comments you received make me sad. I don't think anyone bothered to actually read what you wrote. -_-
• United States
2 Dec 06
Thank you for your kind words, and thoughts, I really appreciate them. Everything and everyone here is fine, thank goodness. But Eleven years ago, two weeks after Christmas. We had a house fire, that destroyed our entire house, all of our belongings, and our puppy Winston. It was quite a horrible time for all of us, and I think we were all flashing back to that time this morning. My stomach was churning, my entire body felt numb. Thankfully, it just stayed in the chimney, and the firemen got it taken out there before it had a chance to spread any farther, or do any damage to the house. And you're right, neither of them bothered to read anything that I wrote, I can't stand it when people reply to discussions like that, just to get a penny. It's horrible, this is a serious, and very personal discussion and they want to throw crap like that at me? Well, boff on them.
@Aeval39 (774)
• United States
2 Dec 06
Boff! That's the first time I've heard that expression, it's cute. Oh wow, I'm sorry. That must be so horrible to go through. We've never had a fire, thank goodness. I don't know how I'd deal. You're a strong person for living through that and being able to discuss it. Let's hope this is the last time something like this happens to you!
• United States
2 Dec 06
Uh huh, I've worked around children for a long time, and you can't really curse around them. So I had to think of a lot of new words that were clean and suitable for children's young ears. Boff, happens to be just one of my favorites. lol
@justvenkys (1359)
• India
2 Dec 06
hey! what is this big discussion yar! anyway good luck! get u r payout soon.byee
• United States
2 Dec 06
My house catches on fire, and you hope that I get my payout soon? Geez, thanks that's so compassionate of you. u.u
• United States
10 Dec 06
-Snifflage- I still remember when you first told me about this. I is glad you are okay. First, because of how great a friend you are, and second, because I would feel so terrible for Girru Pickles. -Noddles-
• United States
3 Dec 06
what a horriable way to wake up. I amso gald that no one was hurt and that noten major was damaged. I am glad that you have posted this on here. This may have just saved someones else from going though what you and your family did this morning. Please don't pay attion to those people who do not have the niceness to read what you wrote.
@lucy02 (5017)
• United States
3 Dec 06
Gee, I'm so sorry about the fire but really glad that you and your family are okay. Thanks for the warning.