Guinea pig hair loss....

Piggy - Lenny
@mamashane (1140)
My guinea pig is losing hair! When I pet him, alot of hair ends up in my hand, and I mean ALOT! This is not normal. His diet has not changed, he eats just as much as he always has...I don't understand why he's losing his hair so rapidly. I brush him about every other day. I'm concerned. Has anyone had this problem with their piggy & if so what did you find the problem to be, how did you solve it?
@Pigglies (9336)
I'm voting mites as well. But depends on the location of the hairloss, because it could also be fungal (or hormonal, etc.). Check out www.guinealynx.info for information on treating mites with ivermectin.
@mamashane (1140)
His hairloss is all over, it's like shedding but more hair is falling out than it should be. Thanks for the link!
@Pigglies (9336)
Please hurry with treatment! If it's all over, can you tell me if there is any dandruff as well? Or any crustiness? If so, what color dandruff or crustiness? I'd start treatment with ivermectin immediately as it won't hurt if that's not it. But mites can kill. And cause huge problems in the future if left untreated now. A whole bottle to treat like 300 guinea pigs for mites cost $50. If you don't want to spend that much, borrow some from a farmer or ask a guinea pig rescue near you. You can also find a tube of horse paste ivermectin for only $10. The info is on Guinea Lynx for how to use that as well. Mites are extremely painful, sooner treated the better. If you can take a photo, please do. I've rescued so many pigs with mites, fungus, and various things, I could probably give you an idea better from a photo. If something doesn't start working fast though, hurry and see a vet! With guinea pigs, you don't have long. Make sure to keep weighing with a gram scale too to make sure there is no weight loss.
@Pigglies (9336)
By like shedding, do you mean there are no bald patches? Even without bald patches it could be mites though, you don't want it to get to the bald patches stage.
He might be biting at his fur because he's itchy from a skin infection or dryness or maybe mites. There are different types of shampoos you can use if this is the problem that most pet shops would sell. Also, if he is constipated or has dried fecal matter near his bum, he may be uncomfortable and be scratching at himself causing the hair to fall out. Probably best to have him checked by a vet. Best of luck to you and your little pet pal.
@Pigglies (9336)
Just wanted to comment on this that if he did have mites, bathing would NOT be a good idea. It often aggravates the mites making them dig deeper into the skin. Not a good thing for the piggie!
@MakDomMom (1474)
He may have mites that are causing him to react. Or he has had an increase in stress. Has anything changed in his environment? I would take him to a vet or at least ask your local pet store. They should be able to help you out. a couple soureces for you: http://experts.about.com/q/Guinea-Pigs-1574/losing-hair.htm http://experts.about.com/q/Guinea-Pigs-1574/guinea-pig-losing-hair.htm http://exoticpets.about.com/od/guineapigs/a/gpgrooming_2.htm http://www.metalsmiths.com/vet.html Good Luck!
@mamashane (1140)
I'll check out these websites...thanks so much! I checked him for mites also and I didn't see anything.....maybe they're too small for me to see?
@TerryZ (22083)
Lets see its been awhile since Ive had my guinea pig. Mine was a long haired and I would cut her hair from her eyes I would give her bangs and then cut some from her body. I would hand scissor her. I think that would help. try brushing the little pig
my cat is going bald to, shes old and my other cat beats her up