Ant Bites

June 20, 2006 1:05pm CST
My dog is chewing himself alive. He 7-8 months old with long hair. He is on "Intersept" and Heart Worm Med. We are in Alabama. His sisters, which are Lab Mix don't seem to be bothered. His is constantly chewing himself and I think it must be the little ants that are around the area. They are NOT Fire Ants. What can be done to ease his misery. I have been giving him Benadryl, twice a day, but that doesn't seem to stop his biting himself.
2 responses
@imphavok (320)
• Canada
16 Mar 13
It sounds to me like he has a food allergy. Try changing his dog food. Giving him allergy pills really won't do a huge amount if he is continuously eating what he is allergic to. Many dogs have food allergies (some dogs are even allergic to meat). I would also check for ear mites as they can spread to the dog's fur and cause itchiness. He may also have very dry skin, a bath with some soothing oatmeal shampoo may help and try adding a little coconut oil into his diet.
@squallming (1776)
• Malaysia
16 Mar 13
Seems like there was some serious problem with your dog. A dog doesn't usually bite and chew himself like the way you mentioned. There may be an infection which makes certain areas of its body itches. I think it would be best if you can bring him to see the veterinary and go for proper treatment. Your dog, if left unattended may actually hurt himself even more and this can be life threatening you know.